Feeding my new gtp hatchie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

a9x_hatch

Reaction score
hi just wondering when i should feed my new gtp hatchie(midori) i recieved it on wednesday after a long trip from adelaide to mackay. it hasnt eaten since the 25/1 so i took it out of its enclosure placed it in another container thursday night and tried feeding with no luck. can anyone give me any tips on when, where and how i should feed him?

Take it this is ur first snake good luck give it a week to settle before u feed it

Hi mate make sure the temps are right and offer a pinkie just after dark. You can try know some will feed straight away after moving around. If not try in a few nights time.

cheers i have coastals i got as yearlings but they smashed anything i put in front of them from the first day i got them. the gtp is gonna be alot harder

I had to irritate my gtp into striking the first cpl times. Just rub the pinkie over it's body to make it strike if it refuses to feed. once it has a taste it should happily eat and move onto normal feeding soon enough.

ive got it in a 45x45x65 enclosure and it seems to really like it, its got its favourite corner during the day and is moving around alot at night. I keep the hot end between 28-32 and the cold end at 24-28 during the day and at night i cant get much of a gradient stays at about 24-27. this time of year up here in mackay its really hot so im not using any heating at all and i rely on the shade and moisture on the cold side. i also put an ice brick on the outside of the tank on really hot days.

You will never do well with any Chondro hatchlings if you keep them the way you do. Do yourself a favour and buy the Complete Chondro book and follow what Greg states to do. The hatcho should be in a tub 1/2 the size you mentioned, forget the ice brick who ever told you that idea is pulling it.

I cannot believe that people outlay the money for a Green Python (or any reptile for that matter) without doing your research first. People that have no idea about Chondros, you will definately benefit from outlaying $60 bucks for Maxwells book and reading it a few times BEFORE you buy a Chondro.

Dont take this the wrong way but it is newcomers (not saying you are or will) that loose Chondros and give them a bad reputation as high end , tricky snakes. I will not sell a neonate Green Python to someone that has not researched the animal a fair bit and has a good understanding of their needs.

Assuming that the breeder that sold you this animal sold it in good shape and health (which is likely), it will get feeding within a few weeks if you house it appropriately.

Mate, no offence but I just wonder, when you say it has got its "favorite corner", you don't bean a corner at the bottom of the enclosure? It is on a perch I hope. Is the enclosure landscaped or just an empty space?

Traveling from SA to Qld is not an issue. If the snake was well established and it's now in the right environment, it should have taken food withing first 3 days.

Last edited:
Another thing I would suggest is do not take it out of it's cage / tub to another tub to feed , you will only stress it out dragging it off it's perch and dropping it in another tub making feeding just that little bit harder.

yes it has many perches, its a top corner. and it is very well landscaped. where can i buy this book?

I live in mackay and have my gtp hatchy in the same size enclosure. Still use a ceramic heat lamp on dimming thermo to keep high perch at 30-31c and the low perches sit around 26-27c . Mine usually spends most of its time around mid way but moves up closer to the heat after feeding. Have never had to use anything to cool its home though ?
Can usually tell it is hungry as it prowls and lures a lot .
No probs getting it to feed at those temps just had to irritate it a little to get it started.

thanks for the info

i got it to feed, noticed it was wiggling its tail like bait, so i offered him a pinky and within a minute or 2 he very gently took it, ive never seen a snake feed so gently it was unreal to watch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back