you wont guess how old this snake is.. case of neglect :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwebb

Reaction score
case of neglect :( i hate people.

Screen shot 2012-02-12 at 6.14.27 PM.pngScreen shot 2012-02-12 at 6.14.53 PM.png

this is a THREE YEAR OLD bredli python.

theres a story to this one. this belonged to a girl that i am friends with. i can tell you for sure that this animal is 3 years old. a year or so ago, i remember going to see this exact snake and thinking he was big. in saying this, im very sure he was fatter once.. before she completely lost interest. i also hadnt picked up an intense interest in snakes yet and i didnt know anything about them. after i got my snake in may, i never saw hers again.. everytime id ask her if i could see him, she always had an excuse. a few months ago i told her i was interested in buying him, cos i knew she wanted to sell him.. but she wouldnt let me see him for some reason. now i know why. she knew he was wrong, that he should be fully grown now.. not this pathetic little thing. i hope the toilet roll and my torso give a good idea of his size.

anyway. last week my friend who also has a big beautiful bredli bought this snake. he offered this girl $150 cos he thought, given the fact the snake was 3 years old, it would be huge. $150 was all she wanted. when he went to pick the snake up, he said he was so shocked and disgusted, but didnt want to upset her and gave her the money and left. there is no way i would have paid that much for this snake. he called me this morning and asked if i could take him because he doesnt have the room. neither do i but i couldnt say no, i feel so sorry for this little thing.

hes been on hopper mice his whole life i know that for a fact, but the girl gave my friend a packet of smallish hopper rats (smaller than what im used to buying). the girl fed the snake the day before she sold it, probably to make her feel better about herself, and the snake brought the rat up yesterday (3 days after swallowing).

the snake weighs 78 grams, at 3 years. my 1 year old bredli weighs 240.

the people that bred this snake have seen photos and know whats going on, and they are so upset considering they knew the girl so well. im upset. she doesnt know i have it and i dont want to tell her, because she is my friend. and i love her to death but i cant believe she did this to such a defenceless animal :(

any advice would be really helpful.. im not going to feed him for 3 weeks.. any advice when i do feed him? taking into account he regurgitated??

EDIT: the snake is very active and doesnt seem to have any health issues, but i am no expert.. the tub he came in absolutely reeked and he STUNK. i gave him a bath and he still stunk. the first thing i did after picking him up at 3:30 this afternoon, was buy a new tub because there was NO WAY i was taking the tub he was living in, inside my home. it smelt soooo bad!! he does seem to have difficultly in supporting his neck when reaching out, if that makes sense..

Last edited:
Sad, i know of a 3yr old diamond that is smaller than my yearling stimson female, and ithought she was on the small side at 130grams,i just feel like taking some rats out there and feeding the poor thing.

wow. Thank god you have him now!! I cant give any advice as im still learning but I will say this, he is SO lucky you have him now! Good luck and keep us posted!!!!

I think start again with your feeding.....I had a similar thing with a snake I bought only that it wasnt left for so long...he was 6 months old and half the size of his half sister I had at home. The person who owned him realised he couldnt look after him and sold him before getting to that stage.

I started him feeding again on pinkies and gradually built up in size. I bet his stomach has shrunk and so having the hopper mouse in there...although small would have been too much for him to digest. Pinkie rats are like jelly beans and very easy to digest as the are all flesh...

Something you can do if youa re worried about dehydration is spray with a fine mist of water and also when you defrost the pinkie you can soak in a plastic zip lock with a small amount of water so that snake gets the moisture the pinky rat has absorbed.

Hope this helps

There is a thread somewhere on here where someone else rescued a bredli in terrible condition it even had a constriction where it hadnt shed properly and made a full recovery. I will see if i can find the thread and will post it for you,

Elizabeth

try a bath in powerade 10% powerade rest water
then give it mice again
if it wants more give it more
But no rats just yet
regurging after 3 days is not good
but that may have been caused by the moving around too
after a couple of feeds then bang the rats into it
looks skinny but will get healthy enough with food in its guts

mainly food just now so dont play with it too much
let it get fat and happy first

thanks elizabeth, ill take a read..

im also going to quarantine this snake, just to make sure its not sick and so my beautiful healthy bredli doesnt get sick.. is a month long enough??

thanks elizabeth, ill take a read..

im also going to quarantine this snake, just to make sure its not sick and so my beautiful healthy bredli doesnt get sick.. is a month long enough??

If it was her only snake it is most probably ok
Nasty diseases would have shown up by now
But if your other friend had it in contact with his snakes it could possibly be a different story
If you know him well simply ask him if there could be a problem
Only other thing may be worms or other parasites
But if she wasnt feeding live or fresh killed that would be uncommon

If it was her only snake it is most probably ok
Nasty diseases would have shown up by now
But if your other friend had it in contact with his snakes it could possibly be a different story
If you know him well simply ask him if there could be a problem
Only other thing may be worms or other parasites
But if she wasnt feeding live or fresh killed that would be uncommon

nah my friend has it kept seperate from his snake. and the girl that it originally from, it was her only snake. she fed it frozen... so a month would be fine?

With the smelling etc what did you bathe the snake in just regular water?

See if you can get in contact with you local Herp suppliers and see if the can get F10 vet solution..if not you can get it online. I was just thinking the snake my have fungal infection if it was kept in those kind of conditions...

With the smelling etc what did you bathe the snake in just regular water?

See if you can get in contact with you local Herp suppliers and see if the can get F10 vet solution..if not you can get it online. I was just thinking the snake my have fungal infection if it was kept in those kind of conditions...

oh right.. i just bathed the snake in lukewarmish water and wiped him dry. i thought F10 was just for cleaning cage etc? can it be dilluted to clean to the snake?

Thats terrible! How can you not feed a snake? thats half the fun of keeping them! Best of luck with the little guy, at least now its in good hands

Good luck with it mate, great to see it is now with someone who cares. Do you have a local vet you deal with, they would probably give you some appropriate cleaning stuff and probably a fair idea of what is causing the smell although a fungal infection would make sense.

Good luck with it mate, great to see it is now with someone who cares. Do you have a local vet you deal with, they would probably give you some appropriate cleaning stuff and probably a fair idea of what is causing the smell although a fungal infection would make sense.

lots of vets in bathurst but no experienced reptile vets.. ill look into it. i think the smell is just associated with living in his own filth.

this is probs gonna be a weird question, but his skin is so much smoother than any other snake ive handled.. could this be associated with anything orrrr not?

lots of vets in bathurst but no experienced reptile vets.. ill look into it. i think the smell is just associated with living in his own filth.

this is probs gonna be a weird question, but his skin is so much smoother than any other snake ive handled.. could this be associated with anything orrrr not?

Sounds like you are stressing way to much, take a step back tho your heads in the right place just relax the snake will be fine.

As for vets i go to stewart street tho you are correct they have no experience but if you have a basic idea on what needs to be done they can help out, had a snake with a respiratory infection just needed an injection they where great.

Personally i wouldn't worry to much about quarantine as a few have said it would have shown signs of diseases just basics cleaning, bath is sufficent, snakes are very hardy then people make them out to be.

Good point Hodges. You just have to look at that one with the ticks, that many ticks would have killed a lot of other animals and yet looks like he'll recover.

Give it a bit of time, to me it sounds like some good advice so far. As for the vet, even without experience they can know things from their training and find stuff out as they have an idea what they are looking for. Give them a call run it past them and just see what they say.

We're at the end of summer..not a helluva lot of time to get some condition on the snake before it slows down..assuming you have its enclosure all ready to go, I'd give it a week before feeding. Don't stress too much- if it's active and alert, there's probably not anything life threatening going on. Also,If it's been on mice all it's life, concentrate on getting condition on it before you change it over to rats- see how many adult mice it'll take in one sitting and switch over next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back