Keeping lace monitors with other lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

montay

Reaction score
Hi - we are constructing a pit for our lace monitor. I have previously seen them kept with other lizard species if the pit is large enough - for example, I have seen them kept with adult eastern water dragons.
Can others share their experiences of keeping lace monitors, in pits, with other lizard species, please.

I've seen Lace monitors eat water dragons when I've been fishing.. I wouldn't keep any other 'small' reptile with a Lace Monitor. Lace Monitors are large and powerful predators and if there keen on a snack you can say good bye to your water dragons or any other species you keep with them.

I've tried a lacie with a couple of gippys at one stage in an outdoor enclosure. Biggest problem was feeding time. Always fed the lacie first, but he would still hunt the bowls. Never attacked the gippy's, but in the end they had to be seperated so everyone could get a feed.

lace monitors will definitely eat water monitors they will eat any animal that fits in there mouth. i wouldn't put anything else with them its not worth the risk. mine will even eat skinks and things if they end up in there

I've tried a lacie with a couple of gippys at one stage in an outdoor enclosure. Biggest problem was feeding time. Always fed the lacie first, but he would still hunt the bowls. Never attacked the gippy's, but in the end they had to be seperated so everyone could get a feed.

whats a gippy??

The local wildlife park has a Heath monitor in their lacie pit with approx. 10 lacies of different sizes. The heathie is as big as the average size lacies in the pit.

Quite apart from the physical problem of eating anything they can swallow, the proximity to Lacies also presents a major psychological stressor for other species which may potentially be prey at some time. Most smaller lizard species would avoid contact with them like the plague, for obvious reasons. I think forcing exposure to a major predator would be quite unfair.

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back