live fed pythons question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miss3e

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone knows if a live fed python can be trained, coerced or however you wish to say back to eating already dead food. I may have the option to obtain a green diamond python that has only ever been live fed...and i am not too thrilled at that prospect....any thoughts, thanks

tried to rub our deads with wild caught rats that had been frozen. It worked for some sadly not for another.

99.9% of pythons are just as happy taking thawed frozen food as they are eating live stuff. In fact I have had, in the past when I didn't know any better, snakes refuse live food and then immediately latch onto a dead food offering. I'd be surprised if you have any trouble making the change work, if you do, it's just a matter of waiting them out - even if it takes 3 months before it eats a frozen thawed meal, and is not given anything else in the meantime, it won't do the animal any harm whatsoever. It is often the assumption that snakes need feeding every week that leads to people compromising and offering live prey. This is a big mistake.

Jamie

Out of curiosity what does a green diamond python look like I've only ever seen high yellows and whites

Unless you are a experienced reptile keeper its not advisable to get a problem feeder no matter how good the snake or the deal is.

On top of what Jamies said, you can also try to start with the "middle ground" and offer fresh killed. It's probably the closest you will get to live food without the heart beat or the potential to bite and harm the snake.
I too would be interested to see this new "green" Diamond morph

Thanks for all the info. I haven't actually seen the python as of yet, this whole thing has come to me via a friend, so i can't answer in regards to how it looks, sorry. Could be something altogether different. Will keep all this in mind before i decide. Ex

Use a fresh kill next time, then try a thawed after that. If you have trouble with the thawed then rub a fresh mouse on it.

A green Diamond would be the general type found around the Northern beaches and Northern suburbs of Sydney or thats what they used to be.

I know a bloke who breeds his own mice and rats, worms them etc. To feed his snakes he gives them a fresh kill that is still twitching a bit or else he makes them twitch in the tongs so they 'appear' a live... Just a tought as I have read quite a few people here just place the mouse/rat on the floor of the enclosure and leave the snake to it.

Oh and when I said he makes them twitch with the tongs he DOES NOT shove it in their face, it is at range and the snake has to strike out to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back