Please Help.....Biting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacinta78

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a female childrens python that is 3 yrs old and she is starting to bit and get quite vicious. is there something I can do to calm her down again???

Thanks

hi im only new so wont offer advice but the experienced keepers are going to need more info than that like how big is its enclosure what are you feeding it and how often and what are its temps in the hot and the cool end

Is she snappy under certain circumstances?

How often are you feeding her and what is the size of the food your providing?
Is it only in her enclosure is she also aggressive when you have her out?

What are you feeding it? If it's just out of the blue it's likely just hungry

She has her enclosure in my lounge room so she is in a high traffic area. she gets fed once a fortnight same as my boy. she is fed fuzzy rats as i didn't think she could handle bigger. I don't get her out anymore as i have lost all trust for her and don't want to be bitten. she has a heat mat but her enclosure is only 1 1/2foot long as i was told thats all i needed. Hope this info helps.

45 cm enclosure?? that even small for a pygmy python,if she is an adult around 800 to 900mm, she needs bigger enclosure

45 cm enclosure?? that even small for a pygmy python,if she is an adult around 800 to 900mm, she needs bigger enclosure

No worries, I was told that is all she needed. I will look into getting her a bigger enclosure. Do you know can I put her in the 3ft tank with my male?

Everyone has different opinons,I make it a habit to listen to more than one and add that to my own research.Few reasons not to put them together.If she is aggressive,she needs to settle in a new enclosure by herself.Also not good if you want to breed them,snakes generally want very short relationships only for mating.

Everyone has different opinons,I make it a habit to listen to more than one and add that to my own research.Few reasons not to put them together.If she is aggressive,she needs to settle in a new enclosure by herself.Also not good if you want to breed them,snakes generally want very short relationships only for mating.

No worries. Thank you. I will try and find a bigger cheap enclosure for her :)

Hi, sorry to hear you have lost trust in her, she may be picking the fear up from you and being cramped up and not getting out anymore may be making things worse. My stimson is on fuzzy rats and he has just going 1 year old so as Saximus suggested she may just be hungry. Is she defensive out side her enclosure?

If she's 3 yrs old & only fed a fuzzy rat once a fortnight then I would definately put her behaviour down to hunger. How big is she?

Thank you all, I will look into bigger enclosure and start feeding her more. I have only been going off what others have told me, so I am happy with this new information.

I agree. A fuzzy rat every two weeks seems a little light on.
Is there a visible bulge after you feed her ?
Got any photos after a feed and also something helping to gage the snakes overall size?

Nobody has asked the most important question

Does it actually bite and hold on??
That is a feeding bite and positive indication its hungry
Answer there is very simple
Give it loads more tucker and watch it settle right down

If it just hits you with an open mouth and doesnt try to hold on its a sign of something else
Usually a 'tag' like that means its scared and wants you to go away
Could also mean its not keen on its environment

Without details its hard to give a definitive answer

I agree Longqui.

Knowing if the snake just tags or holds on would make it easier to identify the issue.
The op has stated she doesn't get her out anymore as she doesn't want to get bitten so we don't know if it's defensive or hungry

Jacinta, are you willing to take a bite ?
Photos or it didn't happen ! :D

She has her enclosure in my lounge room so she is in a high traffic area. she gets fed once a fortnight same as my boy. she is fed fuzzy rats as i didn't think she could handle bigger. I don't get her out anymore as i have lost all trust for her and don't want to be bitten. she has a heat mat but her enclosure is only 1 1/2foot long as i was told thats all i needed. Hope this info helps.

not getting her out anymore mistake number one, now when ever you open the door she assumes she is getting fed and anticipating food so when you move your hand she will strike - get a snake hook to get her out and some gloves so you feel more comfy about not being bitten. she may be quieter when out.
try to keep holding her

I'm sorry i don't know if she tags or holds on as i have lost trust and don't handle her. I have put her in a bigger enclosure, am going to start feeding her more, get some gloves and try handling her more. thank you so much to everyone for their comments i truly appreciate all of them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back