Urgent!!!! Very sick childrens python :'(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
make sure you give him heating for the night at like 30 degrees

He has his heat mat on which he always has I'm not sure of temp as i have never been told to measure it. but it is very warm and he is under his house on top of the mat and my house is quite warm. should i do any more for him?

Jacinta,

You'll find that there's always a strong reaction against live feeding becuase it is so risky. But let's move past that. What's important is your sick snake.

Snakes are tough little blighters so good to hear you're not giving up on him yet. What did your vet say about any future antibiotic shots? Do you know what kind of antibiotic he used? The betadine is a good idea. Did the vet say to use it straight or dilute it?

There are a few people on here who have extensive experience with sick and injured reptiles and should be able to offer advice. In the meantime, what are your snake's enclosure temperatures like?

EDIT: Someone beat me to the temperature question. :)

Jacinta,

You'll find that there's always a strong reaction against live feeding becuase it is so risky. But let's move past that. What's important is your sick snake.

Snakes are tough little blighters so good to hear you're not giving up on him yet. What did your vet say about any future antibiotic shots? Do you know what kind of antibiotic he used? The betadine is a good idea. Did the vet say to use it straight or dilute it?

There are a few people on here who have extensive experience with sick and injured reptiles and should be able to offer advice. In the meantime, what are your snake's enclosure temperatures like?

EDIT: Someone beat me to the temperature question. :)

Thank you so much, all i wanted is some help as i am so worried about him. I realise now i have done the wrong thing, and I'm sorry if i offended anybody, but thank you so much for getting past that.

The vet said to not get my hopes up, but if all is ok to five him a call in a week to take the snake back in. the antibiotic shot was a long lasting shot (don't know a name). vet said it would last about 2 weeks. he also said straight betadine on the hole and a bit on his tale as the tale is very dry.
I now have him in a 48cm glass enclosure so i can keep an eye on him. he has the heat mat directly under the glass bottom at one end. i have kitty litter on the floor of hi enclosure (what i have always been told to use)
feel like such an idiot now, i just trusted everything the breeder told me years ago :( i should have done more research. or found this site tears ago.

im gonna be honest here and not flaming you but you really have to do a lot more research than you have done or been told coz many of the things you are doing are wrong but you still have time to change that.

temps are extremely important for your reptiles and therefore you need the right temps... rather than using a heat mat.. you should use a heat globe (during the day) to provide daytime heating and the heat mat for nightime.

you must use a thermometer to test the temp on the heat mat or under the heat globe.. it should be between 30-34 degrees under the heat mat and approx 25-28 on the cool end (no heat).

since he is sick... try get his temp to 30 degrees

please use a thermometer otherwise you can burn him!! so you must keep a constant check on temp. if its too hot or too cold, use a thermostat to control the heating

do more research and just search children's python care sheet on google and you'll find loads of stuff you need to know and are important to keep your snakes healthy

also get the book 'keeping children's python' coz i think you really need it and will be really helpful

Last edited:
A caresheet should have been the first thing you looked at before you got him.

Heat mats can get pretty hot. Make sure you check it.. whoever told you not to check temps doesn't know what they're talking about. It's one of the most important rules in keeping reptiles as pets. Not trying to criticise badly just pointing out it's a necessity.

Couldnt agree more with Renenet's post. Hope your snake gets better. You've obviously learned from your mistakes.

I wont bother repeating what others have said but I will add that putting him in a glass tank at the moment isn't the best idea, he'll feel pretty vulnerable. He's in bad enough shape without the added stress taxing his system. He also sounds very dehydrated so make sure he has access to fresh water.
It sounds bad but I hope he makes it through the night for you, please keep us updated.

in future check snake every day morning and night and if you cant see him move hide etc till u do 7 days between veiws is not ideal as a lot can happen in 7 days. He can go months without food esp if your not trying to breed so dont stress over that if you see hes hungry then offer food even live to get him interested but kill rat before giving it to him use it live as a teaser only. How big was the rat

To all those offering advice - this is almost a triage situation. Priorities are: treatment of the injury/illness first, then everything else can come later. With this exception: do NOT place a glass tank directly on top of a heat mat! Raise the tank a few mm off the floor to allow some air circulation between the tank and the mat or you risk overheating and cracking the tank, or worse - starting a fire. Even a 5W or 7W mat can overheat dangerously. Use a thermostat, but DO NOT rely on it to prevent overheating - they sometimes fail!

A warm spot of 30C is fine, and you could put a few cardboard boxes (shallow) for him to hide under and to retain the warmth around the body. Don't listen to the knowalls who suggest you use heat lamps etc etc - any heat source which give adequate heat will be quite suitable.

Perhaps once the snake has commenced it's recovery, you can look at the other husbandry parameters, but for the moment they can wait.

Jamie

Thank you to everyone who has commented, I will be doing a lot more research and learning a lot more about my snakes. this has taught me a huge lesson.

Firstly Aladdin made it through the night! yay! still not out of the woods though :(

Everyone who mentioned thermometers is there a certain one anyone recommends or special snake one ??? or just use a normal kid one?

He is in a glass tank hand has been all his life so i didn't think it would worry him now. plus I don't want to have to go buy a new enclosure.

I will just be offering dead food from now on if he takes it good, if he doesn't i won't be concerned. I will however be checking my snakes daily to make sure i see them and they are fit and healthy.

My tank has been directly on the mat for 3 years, but i will make sure i raise it now. he does have hideaway places in his tank to he can feel safe and warm.

He may need fluids as well as antibiotics, did the vet suggest follow up care?

He always has water in his enclosure, but i have put an extra shallow bath in there in case he wants more. I have to take him back to the vet in a week if he makes it through.

I would like to have a go at the breeder that offered this advice, everyone I have spoken to over the time with my fussy snakes have never once said offer live feed. I hope you never go back to this guy/gal as they are an embarrasment to the hobby IMO

Yes i wish I could, But i bought my snakes 3.5 years ago and can't remember the name of the guy i bought them off.

more importantly I will be doing a lot more research and learning to do it all the right way :)

the only time you panic about an adult not eating is when they show signs of weakness, dehydration or start looking poorly. You never feed live, even if you believe the snake is capable cause you never know what could happen to the snake.

Have a look at Snake Ranch and go to there section on Herp Hints as well as the other sections they have there. It will give you some basic info and then you can expand from there. And for a nice basic book to have a look at is "Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity" By John Weigel. There are some amazing books out there! Others may be able to tell you some other good books!

Good luck!

Hi there. Bettadine is ok but is a slower process of healing. Use a cream that your vet can prescribe, or you can try and get of pharmacist without a prescription. It's called 'silverzine cream' (the One i have, the brand is called 'flamazine') and has been recommended by many on this forum. ask your vet for some, because betterdine may work well on abrasions, something deeper would need something a bit stronger. It works a treat. Maybe your vet isn't aware. Good luck with the little guy.

A lot of good advice is coming through and Jacinta sounds like she will be doing all she can for the little guy but surely there are some members who live in that part of the state or not too far away that she could network with? One f the best things I have done while getting into snake keeping is going to a couple of friends places and looking at their setups and how their snakes behave etc. There is a big difference between the two as well, one keeps display cases the other has simple enclosures in the shed, but I have learned a lot from both of them.

Heard of something similar not long ago, turned out the temps were constantly too high and the snake dies of dehydration.

A lot of good advice is coming through and Jacinta sounds like she will be doing all she can for the little guy but surely there are some members who live in that part of the state or not too far away that she could network with? One f the best things I have done while getting into snake keeping is going to a couple of friends places and looking at their setups and how their snakes behave etc. There is a big difference between the two as well, one keeps display cases the other has simple enclosures in the shed, but I have learned a lot from both of them.

Good in theory but personally where I live I wouldn't let half the people with herps into my house for fear of contamination..... if you get what I mean.
Sometimes it's hard to trust with all the horror stories atm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back