Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake007

Reaction score
Is there some rule that u need to do to take a snake in for my brother for his show and tell ?

You need to read through the rules for your state. As far as I am aware - it'll be a NO in each state. Reptiles are not allowed to leave the licence holders property unless having vet treatment, or having been sold.

Tru though it was lol I will let him have his shedding then :D

my son's daycare had a snake interest corner, so for show and tell he took in a whole bunch of pics a shed skin and an example click clack (with a pic of the snake in said click clack)

and at his last b-day party (3) his friends remembered the whole experience even though it was some time ago, and asked to see the snakes, so i brought some out for them to see (party was at our house) the kids had their pics taken with the snake and now copies of those pics are hanging up at the daycare.

Yer that would be a great idear for the younger kids I'll have to remember that for my daughter when she is older but brother is in year 6-7 so I don't think they will like it as much that way lol all ways ask I guess that's for that :)

It's amazing what is 'legal/illegal'... I wouldn't let a kid take the snake in to school for the day but I am considering taking my guy into my daughter's year 4 class for a short visit as we live close to the school. It would be strictly a hands off experience but the kids would still love it. I know it is technically against the rules of the permits but I really don't see the harm in a structured brief visit. Too many kids grow up with the 'it's a snake, where's my shovel' attitude. Skye has already taken a 'shed' in to show and I am sure she will want to make a project about Skittles with photos etc to help educate her friends.

It's amazing what is 'legal/illegal'... I wouldn't let a kid take the snake in to school for the day but I am considering taking my guy into my daughter's year 4 class for a short visit as we live close to the school. It would be strictly a hands off experience but the kids would still love it. I know it is technically against the rules of the permits but I really don't see the harm in a structured brief visit. Too many kids grow up with the 'it's a snake, where's my shovel' attitude. Skye has already taken a 'shed' in to show and I am sure she will want to make a project about Skittles with photos etc to help educate her friends.

Yet that's right I would let him take it in I would meet him in there at 12 or what ever take the click clack and show him no touch just show I dident see the harm in showing your hobbie off to little kids it's not like your passing the snake around the room or anything ...

I think you will find the rules are there so they have a blanket ruling as some people may not be as responsible as others and I could just imagine the outcry if some kid got tagged because the snake got startled.

It's been at least 6 years since a reptile show came to visit my High School and my kids have never had one at their school although the owner of the preschool they went to occasionally brought his Olive in for the kids to see.

I can not find any where online about not takeing reptiles to school

Contact the Dept of Education directly either a district office or the main office in Bris. They will be able to tell you if they have any policy against it. You could do the same with your licensing authority in Qld.

It is strictly illegal plain and simple in all states for good reason.

These include that you are not to remove a reptile (or product including a shed skin) from your premises, except in transit for trade or for a vet visit.

This is to help prevent misinformation being spread by people without training or approval from the relevant authority, to assist in preventing profiteering from wildlife and minimize disease tranmission.

In qld education Queensland must in addition approve the demonstrator as well as have copies of working with children approvals, public liability certification etc

Might seem excessive but that is the state of play.

If you are caught doing the wrong thing by bringing a snake to classroom for instance the punishment can be severe including confiscation of the animal(s), fines etc

Cheers
Scott

Has anyone ever been prosecuted for taking a pet reptile into a classroom for show and tell?

I think it depends on who you speak to. A couple of years ago when I lived in qld I called the local license department to ask if I could take in a couple of beardies & one adult coastal carpet python to my sons class room & got told as long as it was a quick display it would be fine. I also got approval from the principal before hand & he said it was fine as long as there was no touching involved. My son was in yr 6 at the time & he did a quick speech about keeping reptiles then they had a ten minute question time from the kids. It turned out to be one of the highlights of the year & the kids talked about it for weeks:)

This was the approach I was going to take Kyro. I know the principal and deputy quite well and was going to talk to them and the classroom teacher to guage interest and to set guidelines for the visit. It is a bit like dirt biking, depending on where you live and how many issues they have had, authorities often turn a blind eye in the presence of common sense; in other areas they will throw the book at you.

So I guess it's who you talk to ???

It would still pay to ask the licensing authority and not just the school Jake.

It is strictly illegal plain and simple in all states for good reason.
These include that you are not to remove a reptile (or product including a shed skin) from your premises, except in transit for trade or for a vet visit.

Has anyone ever been prosecuted for taking a pet reptile into a classroom for show and tell?

Or a shed skin!! :?

As a primary teacher myself, I take a diff reptile to class every week.
What i do is i take Say 'My beardy' there for the whole week. We learn there behaviours, lifecycle etc and i have a a large enclosure with a lock on it so no little fingers get tempted. So if they behave during the day i will give 5 students the last 30mins of the day for a pat and hold session. Its amazing what you can do with bribery to a yr.5 class. ESPECIALLY the boys as they are usually the ones that run amuk in class and lack concentration after lunchtime. I find this method quiet soothing for them as they need to learn to be calm and relaxed to be allowed to hold any of my critters.

AND before anyone jumps the gun, yes i have discussed this with my supervisors & principles. All i had to do was send out a permisission note to the parents. And Ive already got 3 parents applying for reptile licencse as we speak :D

No offence to you fangs. But most teachers are bloody weirdos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back