Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I am a demonstrator in qld and have been through the hoops... Some of them are seemingly tedious but that is what the law has in place and you must comply.

At least in one state there is provision for a person to bring a specimen of wildlife out of the residence, however this still requires written permission prior to the act and the person exhibiting must not charge for the act.

There is also specific legislation in place for school teachers to have wildlife in the classroom.... This varies from state to state and the teacher must speak to the wildlife authority to find out what they can do. Permission from the school means nothing from a wildlife authorities point of view. Until permission from them is obtained then the teacher is operating illegally, risking there own collection and is not covered by insurance. My understanding is this particular permission is NOT hard to obtain.

As for shed skins, they come under the same laws as bird feathers, as they are a product of a protected species they are not to be traded(given away). While I know of no person being charged with this re a snake skin I know of one that was taken to court over a feather from a captive red tailed black cockatoo.

Lastly, the members of this website need to remember that wildlife enforcement officers watch Internet forums. There have been past incidents of people getting visits from authorities over forum posts.

To the op,

ring the head of licensing local to you and ask the question, chances are you will get permission if you ask how to go about it. I would get it in writing though. This will probably take some time so maybe for the next round of show and tell.

Cheers,
Scott

So if it's about the licencing, could I buy an Eastern Blue-tongue and take THAT to school, seeing as they're off-licence in Vic?

was just thinking... what if you had a mate that was a vet... and he happened to be at the school at the time your snake suddenly becomes ill... and you took your snake 'to the vet'.. would that be legal?

side note but dogs and cats do need licencing so they may have these same stipulations it's just they are all soft and cuddly and no one seems to pay any attention to the 'fine print'

...just for any one who may ask, I admit I don't know everything on the licence forms for cats or dogs either.

Non licensed species are still protected wildlife so no

What eipper is saying is absolutely true & correct for Qld.
Even at a reptile expo in QLD the animals need written authorisation from EPA & must be under a demonstrators licence.
As said the rules are there & quite clear. I have been asked by some people to do this in the past as a demo for day care etc & i have declined, as for one it against my licence rules & as has been said i believe that you would also have to have written permision from the schooling body & every single parent.

Cheers
Ian

Yer there should be the same law in every state just to make it like way easy lol like i see if a kid gets taged by ya snake well here comes the parents but in saying that its not like the snake is going to leave your hand..

and i do guess if u could take ya snake/lizard in to school alot of kids would be takeing them in lol that could not go down well,

But yes there are some people that break the law and get away with it but yer...

(on the subjects with dogs and cats) there are dogs that are more vicious then a snake (just saying)

First off I am a demonstrator in qld and have been through the hoops... Some of them are seemingly tedious but that is what the law has in place and you must comply.

At least in one state there is provision for a person to bring a specimen of wildlife out of the residence, however this still requires written permission prior to the act and the person exhibiting must not charge for the act.

There is also specific legislation in place for school teachers to have wildlife in the classroom.... This varies from state to state and the teacher must speak to the wildlife authority to find out what they can do. Permission from the school means nothing from a wildlife authorities point of view. Until permission from them is obtained then the teacher is operating illegally, risking there own collection and is not covered by insurance. My understanding is this particular permission is NOT hard to obtain.

As for shed skins, they come under the same laws as bird feathers, as they are a product of a protected species they are not to be traded(given away). While I know of no person being charged with this re a snake skin I know of one that was taken to court over a feather from a captive red tailed black cockatoo.

Lastly, the members of this website need to remember that wildlife enforcement officers watch Internet forums. There have been past incidents of people getting visits from authorities over forum posts.

To the op,

ring the head of licensing local to you and ask the question, chances are you will get permission if you ask how to go about it. I would get it in writing though. This will probably take some time so maybe for the next round of show and tell.

Cheers,
Scott

Are there any laws inrelation too disposing of shed skins? Seems silly if you can throw it in the bin but cannot give it away. Not disputing any of the laws,just curious as I wasnt aware of the info about the shed skins.

Ralliart,

I am not sure, you are best to speak to your local authority and get a written directive from them

Cheers
scott

I don't know that the shed skin is really a big issue, but i guess could be legally.
The main thing is that it not sold for profiteering I THINK.
Giving a kid a shed snake skin to discover is a lot different than profiteering or showing reptiles without the apropriate authority. I reckon you would be hard done by to get taken in for that.
Just my opinion by the way.
Cheers
Ian

To the op,

Cheers,
Scott

And there we have the REAL answer! All this to and frow and at the end of the day it takes one phone call to the relevant authority and it is amazing how often you find a favourable answer, although it may come with some conditions. If you are really keen to do it it will be worth the hassle.

Now that it has been all explained I know that I will be contacting the licensing people at NSW Wildlife and running it past them because I am still adamant that the kids deserve the chance to see how a snake can be kept etc and there has not been a display operator come to our town in over six years.

Again thankyou for clarifying things Scott.

I have made the phone call at 10 this morning still waiting for some one to call me back :(

As a teacher and a herp keeper i was hoping to take some animals in on occasions. After having a talk with my deputy principle I realised it wasnt going to happen. A nightmare of EQ paperwork, insurance etc.

as eipper said, you need to have a deminstrators permit, however there is another way and that is through applying for an "authorised display" through your local EPA. you can call them and tell them what you are planning to do and what animals your taking ,then they will decide whether to give you permission or not. they will also send you paperwork stating your guidelines if approved.most of the time it isn't worth the hassel unless you have a deminstrators permit.
cheers
simon

There are so many different answers but then they all come back to no haha

No, they come back to call the relevent people, a quick chat to EPA or whoever else and you will know for sure. The number of times I have been told and after a phone call or two I have had permission for one thing or another is amazing.

I have tried to contact them an they said they would call me back -.-

So I called back 20 mons ago spoke to the same guy as yesterday and he said that he couldn't get in contact with them still 2 days in a row I left my number with them yesterday and again to day so still waiting ...

No one would be able to inbox me a contact to them straight by any chance.?

Last edited:
Far out! I didnt know that. But then I only had one snake at the time so wasnt legally licensed (dont need to be in SA to keep 1).

Will definitely remember that for future though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back