Whats What?! Murray Darling or ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFear

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all!
this is my pair of MD!
had the female ( larger one ) since she was a hatchie! was a problem feeder but is now fine! shes just under 4 years now!
the male ive had for about 6 months! hes about 4 - 5 got him off a friend as i wanted to try breed them for the up coming season!

i hadnt really noticed but the female who i named Murray lol has alot of lighter brown on her compared to the male could she be a Gammon Ranges carpet or just have lighter marking compared to her partner?!

IMG_0202.jpgIMG_0191.jpgIMG_0209.jpgIMG_0190.jpgIMG_0197.jpg

I don't know why people call them Gammon Ranges carpets. They're still just an MD...

Without knowing the locality she's from, no one can be certain what she is. I wouldn't put any special names to a snake you can't positively be sure of.

wasnt really putting n e names too it! i was told when i got it they were both MDs just curious i guess as they have different colour and patterns!

I don't know why people call them Gammon Ranges carpets. They're still just an MD...

Without knowing the locality she's from, no one can be certain what she is. I wouldn't put any special names to a snake you can't positively be sure of.

according to d.a taylor, in his thesis for flinders university, using dna markers for wildlife management and protection: a study of the population structure and systematics of the australian carpet pythons. and also discussed briefly in a complete carpet python, the gammon ranges carpet, through dna testing, is infact allied with m.imbricata not m.metcalfei. therefore in many circles gammon ranges carpets are considered to be different from mds!

Last edited:
Both MDs just one is lighter, variation is normal. If you kept back a whole clutch of MDs you would have some lighter, some darker, different patterns etc even though they are all from same parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back