woma behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defective

~ Yoda (2008-2020), you loved me more than life!!
Reaction score
so i'm getting a extremely placid 4yr old male NT woma...prior to the decision to buy him i had a cuddle but found he would grunt and blow bubbles out his nostrils....whats the go there?? still undecided on 2 names 'dexter' and 'Hank'

dexter : serial killer for the good of man kind
Hank: a chilled out concierge doctor on Royal Pains....thinking Hank

blowing bubbles doesnt sound good - could be RI.....

By the sounds of it I would get it checked by a vet before purchasing.

That sounds bad! Probably a RI and the 'grunting' is most likely gasping/wheezing. Sounds like it'll come with a few vet bills. My advise, don't buy the animal.

i had him checked out and no RI (got a vet Reptile vet to come have a look at him) this particular snake has done that since he hatched and the grunting noises, the vet said some do it like purring in cats.

why would any animal blow bubbles from its nose normally?

id pass if I were you and find one that didnt......

+1
I'd find a new vet too, they purr like cats!? That's one way to see that your woma is happy ;) one of mine just chomps on me.

Did the vet take any samples or just diagnose on sight?

ahh, i probably should have mentioned that the guy had 2 womas and temperment wise they are the same....except one is a girl....its the girl that blows bubbles not the one i'm getting....he's perfect but the female was the one grunting and bubble blowing.....sorrry...been an extremely rough 3 days and i was awake all night last night...sorry for the confusion!!!!

I'd keep an eye on the one you're getting, just to be safe. And definitely quarantine it.

Is it really worth the risk??? Plenty of other womas out there.

Womas DO NOT grunt! That vet should see if he can get his money back on that 'qualification' or do herps a favor and stay away from them!
The decision is ultimately yours, but I think it's clear from the responses that no one is recommending you buy this animal. RI in summer suggests somethings up with the keeping conditions or the stress on the animal(s). PLENTY of womas for sale!! Try the for sale section, SXR, reptilesdownunder and herpshop.

I noticed in the show us your womas thread you are buying it from a pet shop. Have you asked if they have quarantined it, how long they have had it etc. I would definitely be wary of buying any snake from an environment where one was blowing bubbles and grunting. As for the vet, I had a very renowned Sydney rep vet tell me that feeding a beardie more than one cricket a feed was like feeding a loaf of bread, he had no clue what was wrong with the beardie in question and it subsequently died. Having said that, I'd like to know where you found a vet willing to come to a pet shop with you to look at snakes, most of them are so busy your lucky to get a phone conversation.

I am sad........i feel i was ripped off.......i want a purring snake too!! ;)

At the end of the day, it is your decision on whether you make the purchase, however, i agree with everyone here, i wouldnt, blowing bubbles & grunting doesnt sound like normal behaviour at all, i would be very very wary.

Womas DO NOT grunt! That vet should see if he can get his money back on that 'qualification' or do herps a favor and stay away from them!
The decision is ultimately yours, but I think it's clear from the responses that no one is recommending you buy this animal. RI in summer suggests somethings up with the keeping conditions or the stress on the animal(s). PLENTY of womas for sale!! Try the for sale section, SXR, reptilesdownunder and herpshop.

+1. I will have some beautiful ones for sale cheap soon. Just as soon as they start eating regularly.

May i ask what the going price is for a (most likely sick) woma in this pet store?
I realise that the one you intend to buy isnt the one blowing bubbles but if someone tried to tell me that a bubble blowing, grunting, barking, bus driving woma was normal I would walk out and never come back. Did the vet look over both womas or just the male?

The only woma i would pay for that blows bubbles is one that can chew bubblegum.

My 2 cents,
Aaron

so i'm getting a extremely placid 4yr old male NT woma...prior to the decision to buy him i had a cuddle but found he would grunt and blow bubbles out his nostrils....

I missed the part that u said it wasnt the male doing this........now im confused!! Either way though, even if it was another, if they are housed near each other, i would definatley think twice before handing over any cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back