you wont guess how old this snake is.. case of neglect :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lots of vets in bathurst but no experienced reptile vets.. ill look into it. i think the smell is just associated with living in his own filth.

this is probs gonna be a weird question, but his skin is so much smoother than any other snake ive handled.. could this be associated with anything orrrr not?
Skins probably smooth because he needs a good feed and a shed. Nothing to worry about I'd say. Little bit of moisture when he's eaten won't hurt. Good luck.

Id be asking my vet for a vitamin B shot, they gave one to my carpet a while ago when she just stopped eatimg for over 6months, then my new beardy got one the other day to get him eating as well cause he hasnt eaten since i got him. And would the regurtation be from no heating? Do you know if your friend had him on heat at all? Just a thought, 3days is a long time to spit it back out :/

Yeah I've seen some youtube videos from snake breeder etc and the product website
they said that they use F10 for cleaning enclosures and cleaning of snakes with fungal problems...One breeder I saw added a measured amount (not sure of exact measurements) to water and then used it with a fogger to help with a snake with respiratory infection..

That's really sad, I'm glad you've taken him on.

Firstly, good on you for taking it on. I suspect that your GF may be dealing with issues that go beyond pet keeping.

One should not put an unhealthy reptile through brumation. Maintain the heating and continue to offer food through winter, even if it is not taken (although I am confident you will find that it is).

A snake that has not been regularly cleaned or fed probably hasn't been given fresh water either. It is therefore likely to be dehydrated. As the level of body fluid drops, the concentration of dissolved substances in the body fluids (electrolytes) increases. Cells operate within a very limited range of concentrations and before that is exceeded the kidneys will excrete the excess = loss of electrolytes. First thing to do is rehydrate and replace lost electrolytes. The Powerade bath suggested by Longqi is for that very purpose. Snake's skin is impervious to water. However, the bathwater enters the cloaca, where water and solutes can be absorbed into the snake's body through the wall of the cloaca and end of the rectum. Pure water on its own won't replace lost electrolytes and the lack of these will limit water uptake.

There is any number of possible reasons for the regurgitation. However, a dehydrated animal is likely to have difficulty in producing sufficient quantity of digestive juices to tackle a meal properly. Especially if that meal is considerably larger than it might usually get. I would say that this was at least a contributing factor.

I would not be jumping to conclusions, such as fungal disease being responsible for the BO issue, just yet. If it persists, then I would consider it as a possibility but without apparent external signs, other than odour, I would find it extremely unlikely. The fact that the snake is alert and active also mitigates against the likelihood of it being diseased.

Good luck. I wish you every successful with the little fella. You both deserve it.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to put a damper on discussion and persecution of the original keeper here, and ceratinly not suggesting that the captive husbandry was satisfactory, but we don't have any information about the growth rate of these animals in the wild, where they feed FAR less frequently, and they don't feed at all for 6 months. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that animal's growth is on a par with what would be expected of a 3yo wild snake. The feeding regimes of our overfed captives, and the growth rates they promote, are accepted as the norm by keepers who have no field knowledge, and no understanding of the behaviour of pythons in the wild.

Underfeeding, or reduced frequency of feeding, is not necessarily cruel or harmful to pythons - they have physiological mechanisms which kick in when food is scarce and prevent the depletion of their body reserves. Hunger to a snake is not like hunger for us... our physiology is totally different.

Jamie

Hope it finally gets the care he/she deserves
And to think i thought my bredli's were small........

Poor little guy, hope the little guy gets better, and you are a great person for taking on the snake and doing your best, good luck

oh right.. i just bathed the snake in lukewarmish water and wiped him dry. i thought F10 was just for cleaning cage etc? can it be dilluted to clean to the snake?

i dont think id bath him in F10!

i like the idea of 10% poweraid i havent heard that one b4.

id only wait 1 week b4 i feed him not 3, and you can offer him 2 or 3.

View attachment 238172View attachment 238173
last week my friend who also has a big beautiful bredli bought this snake. he offered this girl $150 cos he thought, given the fact the snake was 3 years old, it would be huge. $150 was all she wanted. when he went to pick the snake up, he said he was so shocked and disgusted, but didnt want to upset her and gave her the money and left. there is no way i would have paid that much for this snake. he called me this morning and asked if i could take him because he doesnt have the room. neither do i but i couldnt say no, i feel so sorry for this little thing.

So the guy went there to by a huge bredli by what he thought because it was 3yrs old then when he gets an undersized for age python he quickly relizes he does not have room for a snake that is a third of what he thought it would be? Strange purchase

What is it with people doing this to snakes??? Had the same thing happen, went to get some female Bredls from up Sydney, guy told us they were HUGE for 3 years old... they are the same size as this, if not smaller. We looked at the tubs which have a full feed and shed history, these snakes were still being fed mice and being fed monthly!! They were fed 9 times in their first year of life!! total for 3 years was 29 feeds. I was so upset that we bought them. The sooner we got them away from this guy, the better they were going to be. We have now had them 4 weeks, both have shed and have started putting on weight! Gave them mice initially for the first 3 weeks, weekly and was stoked they both took small rats this week without hesitation. Fingers crossed they go good now.

Yep it's not just dogs and other furry critters that get neglected. There are always animals in need of rescue. Just great that there are people prepared to give them the lives they deserve.

That's sad maybe we should starve your friend

she already starves herself lol

View attachment 238172View attachment 238173
last week my friend who also has a big beautiful bredli bought this snake. he offered this girl $150 cos he thought, given the fact the snake was 3 years old, it would be huge. $150 was all she wanted. when he went to pick the snake up, he said he was so shocked and disgusted, but didnt want to upset her and gave her the money and left. there is no way i would have paid that much for this snake. he called me this morning and asked if i could take him because he doesnt have the room. neither do i but i couldnt say no, i feel so sorry for this little thing.

So the guy went there to by a huge bredli by what he thought because it was 3yrs old then when he gets an undersized for age python he quickly relizes he does not have room for a snake that is a third of what he thought it would be? Strange purchase

turns out he quit his job and couldnt afford it..

just an update everyone who is interested!!

the gatorade baths seemed to have made the little one a bit better, his skin doesnt look so stretched out anymore and he looks nice and plump :) he is peeing pretty often and im misting him a few times a day, he looks much better.

i offered two fuzzy rats and he took them both and swallowed them soo easily, so i will pump the other 8 into him and put him back onto hoppers. fingers crossed :) :)View attachment 238592

Last edited:
Attachment 238592 wont open for me :( I wanna see update pics...:cry:

Great news and thanks for the update, sounds like he'll be right as rain shortly.
113.gif

be careful you dont overfeed !!

Id wait for something to come out the other end before offering food each time.....you will get the conditon on...good consistent care is what is needed.

be careful you dont overfeed !!

Id wait for something to come out the other end before offering food each time.....you will get the conditon on...good consistent care is what is needed.

Just asking how much experience do you have with this subject

Gosh the poor things smaller than my yearlings, glad to hear he's in better hands;)
I'd be careful with misting a few times a day, being kept in damp conditions can cause problems like respiratory infections & skin infections. I know he's having trouble shedding so try just misting him every second day. Goodluck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back