Help for noobie breeding levis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shea_and_ruby

Reaction score
Brought home our two new cutie levi levis from the expo yesterday - the girl is massive! anyways, hubby went to check on how they were getting on last night, and they were going at it, like really going at it. i went on for aagggeeeesssss lol. i am going to leave her in there with the male for another week and then transport her to her own enclosure. so, as i have not bred levis (or any other geckos on purpose) before, just had a few questionsL

- how long does it take them to lay after successful mating?
- what is the best substrate for the nesting box?
- what is the best substrate for incubation?

i have been using the vermiculite for some milli eggs that we got, however even though i made the mix drier than what was suggested, they still grew mould and humidity was at about 72%. i also kept the lid off the container in the incubator to try to stop the excess water. i did read that milli eggs do not like it too moist, but levi eggs do? so i would be best to incubate them sperately? any advise would be great :)

Hey,
im also new too it aswell i had my friend leave his with me while he went over seas and theyve laid 2 clutches so far!
ive just put the on sand in a tub in the incubator! no idea how or whats going to happen!

hopfully some people can comment so i can leave too lol

Good luck

Not 100% sure on times from matings to laying , but they can lay clutches every 3-4 weeks after the initial mating .
Nest box , I only use moist sand in a small tub with a lid , hole cut int he lid to allow them in and out ... A Chinese sized tub works fine.
Incubation medium I use 50/50 mix of vermiculite , then I add a layer of dry perlite for the eggs to sit in .

How do you mix for the milii ??
I do mine with small kitchen scales , I weigh out 22 grams of vermic , then i weigh out 22 grams of water , give it a good stir then add the perlite pile for the eggs to sit in , never have any issues with it.

oooh, so you use both then dickyknee? we have the verm, but where do you get the perlite from? and when i do a 50/50 mix of water and vern, it seems all liquid - have i prehaps got the wrong type?

oooh, so you use both then dickyknee? we have the verm, but where do you get the perlite from? and when i do a 50/50 mix of water and vern, it seems all liquid - have i prehaps got the wrong type?

I buy both from bunnings , they are on the shelf right next to each other ...
a 50/50 mix wont be dripping wet , how are you mixing it ??

You need to weigh the vermic in a container , say 25 grams for example
then weigh 25 grams of water in another tub and mix it together ..
You will be surprised how little 25 grams of water is .

Grats Shea/Tim, most of my gex are a 4 week thing from mating to laying..some a lil more by a few days or so. It's later in the season but you may get one or two clutches yet good luck.

good luck with your levis mine are always around the 4 week mark after mating then 4 weeks they go again i should wright it all down to be acurate but i am to lazy hope all goes well

this may be a really stupid question, but do they need to mate each time, or are the different clutches from just the one mating session?

No need to pair again.
Just keep the food and supplements up to the female, to maintain condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back