What is this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i wouldnt say an eastern brown as i dont think the head looks like one but the photo isnt the best.

But with that pic an accurate ID is near impossible, and most guesses are likely candidates imo, which would make them educated guesses.

Great point, unidentified is much better than wrongly identified.

It is not a Golden Crown Snake as the "crown" does not meet in the middle behind the head.

Not all young brown snakes are banded... only some are. All possess a dark blotch on top of the head and a dark band across the neck at hatching. These fade rapidly with growth.

It is not a Small-eyed Snake as those in the Sydney area are dark black and shiny. The head shape and body shape is different. They are also nocturnal and if disturbed from their daytime retreat they are not likely to enter an open area in search of another retreat.

Brown Snakes, Marsh Snakes and White-lipped Snakes will forage in open areas for lizards if they can sense them. They will also stop and utilise warm surfaces in open areas to raise their body temperature if needed.

I believe you can safely rule out Eastern Brown Snake given the head pattern (no dark band across the neck) and the colour of the dead leaves to compare the snake with.

The only two grey snakes in Sydney are the White-lipped (not sure if that extends to Turramurra) and the Marsh Snake. White-lipped Snakes are thinner bodied (not by much) and tend to be grey all over in Sydney.

Dark Marsh Snakes will often have lighter, yellowish colour area around the head. So while I cannot say with certainty, I would be 95%+ confident it is a Marsh Snake. Apart from the two white lines on the face, that Geckoman illustrated, if you saw any of the underneath of the snake (the ventrals) and they were quite dark, that would confirm the identity.

Blue

It's not a marsh snake, it is a golden crown. Marsh snakes head shape is different.

He almost knows knows what hes talking about now...... or is that 1000 posts?

Unfortunately it's at least 1000 posts before you have any cred.

Last edited:
Its a albino sunglow oakatee spider ghost het for choclate clown womball

Here is the pic enhanced. I wouldn't guess what it is but I'll say it is not a golden crown and probably not a marsh

I have two small eyeds that look exactly the same in colouration only head is slightly less angular

Head shape is classic Golden Crown, as is everything about it

zzzzzzzzzzz-2.jpg

zzz-24.jpg

z-40.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a relocator and live very close to you.
Golden Crowns are very common and are probably my 3rd to 4th most encountered snake along with diamonds, blacks and swamps.
I going with a dull golden crowned. I have one in care at the moment.

yep even that first picture i would say Golden crowned,i am also familiar with the area and have seen marsh snakes there but thats a golden crowned.
i dont like relocating golden crowned snakes there is absolutely no point,unless your cat is going to get it lol.

thanks Guys. Sorry haven't checked back. Busy. I appreciate all the speculation. It is an interesting read...especially as I don't know much about snakes. Thought it might be a long shot with my friend's pic.

Swamp or GC, just impossible to tell with that pic, as always on the safe side, If you dont know, assume its dangerous..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back