Amyae vs Asper

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleGuy

Reaction score
I was wondering if the differences between Nephrurus Asper and Nephrurus Amyae and which the animal in the pic below is.
knobby.jpg379158_10150423551677141_767712140_8374197_1755323573_n.jpg
Cheers

The photo of the gecko on the ground looks like a male asper to me.
The taxonomy within the asper group is based on distribution, size, spinosity and banding on digitis (toes).
Here is a brief summary:
Amyae: max SVL = 135 mm, extremely spinose, and no banding on digits
Asper: max SVL 114 mm, moderately spinose, and no banding on digits
Sheai: max SVL = 121 mm, moderately spinose, and digits have distinct banding
These figures are based on wild specimens, so there may be some variation with those in captivity.
Cheers
Phil

Where were the pics taken?
They were taken near Blackwater about 3hrs west of Rockhampton.

The photo of the gecko on the ground looks like a male asper to me.
The taxonomy within the asper group is based on distribution, size, spinosity and banding on digitis (toes).
Here is a brief summary:
Amyae: max SVL = 135 mm, extremely spinose, and no banding on digits
Asper: max SVL 114 mm, moderately spinose, and no banding on digits
Sheai: max SVL = 121 mm, moderately spinose, and digits have distinct banding
These figures are based on wild specimens, so there may be some variation with those in captivity.
Cheers
Phil

That makes sense thanks heaps for your help.
Cheers Tim

Yeah i thought they were... we caught a couple up there in early December, from my limited experience i think they were both males cruising around to find females. They were both really light grey, do they vary in colour much over their distribution?

Yeah like most gecko's the can vary quite a bit over their distribution. They are funny little guys when you find them, they will quite happily stand their ground and put on a threatening stance.

The ones I found were surprisingly calm... would be interesting watching them trying to be threatening tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back