Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levold

Reaction score
I have been taking my Pythons out front to do their Poo and Pees on the lawn, and get some suns rays etc. They are on MY property and under constant supervision...

Was just told today by a family member that my neighbor complained to her that her husband saw one of my snakes on MY lawn and had to go inside his house and couldn't come outside for the rest of the day... There is a pailing fence between our properties.

Now what is the difference if I take them into the front or back yard? Am I in my rights to take MY snakes into MY yard to get exercise and defecate on the grass? BTW our backyard is right next to the next doors house.

She said she will be making a complaint to someone? ( i assume the local shire council as that's what happened with our chickens, rooster, pheasant and turkeys)

not that i would know for sure, but i would think that aslong as you are on your property and not going outside your boundaries with them, then they shouldn't be able to do anything about it. i am interested in hearing more of an official word on this.

Yeah me too. I live in a town house and often walk past 2 houses to get to my letter box with my snakes. No ones ever said anything

Wait until their cat comes to do his business in your front yard and kill 2 birds with one stone. Feed your snake and get the neighbor back:evil::evil::evil: . Oh - and don't forget to throw over a bag of cement and tell them to HTFU.

There's not much they could really do - you have a licence to keep reptiles, your on your own property, your animal is controlled.

Your neighbour needs to HTFU. I wouldn't be concerned if I were you. As mentioned, you're licenced, the animal/s are on your property and controlled. Bad luck sooky la-la neighbour.

although you are not breaking any wildlife regulations, you need to remember that a person has the right to feel safe, if they have a genuine phobia of the animals then they can make a complaint to local council, this may or may not be followed up on, but the council may demand you do this in your back yard not front!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as there on your property she can't do rubbish u can let ya snake go and whach him/her you have a lincenes so if that's all fine and well when they come around they can't do anything :) u will be fine ... I would chuck them out just to pi** her off :D

surely there could be some sort of allowance, say during certain times an individual can take an animal out the front, mr scaredycat neighbour would notified of said times and then they are fully aware that a snake will be out the front, doing it's buisness during that time, don't go out front or plan to take the wife shopping during that time frame!

go out daily with a rubber snake and wait for someone in uniform to arrive :)

although i agree with what snakehandler has said the same should apply for other animals as well then people can keep their big rottys out the front as guard dogs then people should be able to take their snakes out the front regardless of what their neighbours may be scared of their are plenty of people scared of dogs (not me i love em and have my own 2 boxers out the front of my house as guard dogs)

I'm so curious I just have to ask.... what species is the snake and how big?
It's just so sad the times we live in. Complaints over such petty things. Bet if it was a cat nothing would come of it. And people wonder why we don't know our neighbours, why elderly neighbours are dying in their homes and not being noticed. This thread is just one tiny reason why

What's wrong with your back yard for the same purpose? I've been around for a long time and it is always the case that discretion is the best plan where these things are concerned. Any exposure in a public place, even if it's inside your own boundary, is just asking for trouble. Some people don't like snakes, and even if it's an irrational fear, YOU need to accept it and get over it. No good will come of being belligerent.

The same goes for people who wander around in public with snakes across their shoulders - it's usually just showing off, and casts reptile keepers in a bad light.

Jamie

I hate cats with a passion... I don't go around screaming to people "Lock your darn cat up! you wildlife killers!!!" Its my problem, i mutter it to myself and move on! it's stupid and I hope the authorities think this too

It sounds like you and your neighbours have a history. For the sake of peace, what Pythoninfinite says about discretion is probably right. I do understand your irritation - I rent and in my last place was not allowed to keep a python. It might not be fair that you're being harrassed about what you can and can't do on your own property, but if you do have a backyard space I'd use that instead. If your neighbours complain about that, they can take a leap. I only wish that people with dogs that bark unexpectedly as I walk past, scaring the stuffing out of me, would be so considerate!

There's also the question of security to consider. I'd be instinctively reluctant to take my animals into the front yard just in case an unscrupulous someone decides they'd like to help themselves to one at a later date.

Diplomacy is the best weapon. If taking your snake at the back instead of the front resolves the situation, then do that. Even if your in the right, it's not worth getting into a dispute with your neighbour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back