How to kill rats for snake food!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CharleighMars

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times before, and I hope I have put this in the right section. I absolutely love my rats, but obviously they're pregnant for a reason when I have a yearling albino Darwin Carpet Python.

I had enlisted the help of a man who has a 7.5 foot black headed python. I am breeding rats and he was going to kill them for me, in exchange for keeping some for his own python. He was going to break their necks - quick, no panic or pain. However he has decided he isn't confidant to do this!

Drowning and freezing are NOT humane options.

I had a vet tell me the old 'car exhaust' system is a humane way to do it, I'm just not sure of the consequences of feeding them to my snake after they have been killed from exhaust fumes. It is just carbon monoxide but its pollution... I NEED HELP!

Any suggestions of how to humanely kill them, or if you know they will be safe to be consumed after car exhaust carbon monoxide overload, please let me know :)

Thankyou!

the only LEGAL Humane way to kill rats is CO2. For rats you will need a co2 cylinder of gas. A well ventilated area for you, a plastic tub with 2 holes in it one going in from the cylinder of gas and one to let it out. Place rats in tub and close. turn gas on and wait til they fall asleep and die.

Remember it's the only LEGAL way, if you choose another path you don't tell how you do it!

i'm a slow typer... everyone beats me!

I used to gas them but unless you know what you're doing they will freak out and it won't be as "humane" a death as people say. I now prefer cervical dislocation. It's much faster but you need to be willing to use a "hands-on" approach and not be squeamish.

Place the rat in a bag, strike a lethal blow to the head. This needs to be accurate and without balking. One swift action. The allows you to tick all the boxes in regards to humane dispatching. This method cause instant brain death if done corectly.

CO2 is easy on the mind but does cause discomfort.

CO causes distress due to the heat that comes with the exhaust fumes and your left with an animal tainted with hydrocarbon. At least there is no lead now.

Grab tail of 60g plus rat [ legs as well on fuzzies etc ] and in one circular motion connect its neck / head area on the corner of a brick wall - quick and painless imo.
Place rat on newspaper to absorb any fluids then after a few minutes place in freezer bag.
This technique is best for small numbers, very large numbers CO2 should be used due to the time factor.

I used to gas them but unless you know what you're doing they will freak out and it won't be as "humane" a death as people say. I now prefer cervical dislocation. It's much faster but you need to be willing to use a "hands-on" approach and not be squeamish.

Must not have been great to see that happen when you went to gas them... Does introducing the co2 in small doses reduce this problem?

I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times before, and I hope I have put this in the right section. I absolutely love my rats, but obviously they're pregnant for a reason when I have a yearling albino Darwin Carpet Python.

I had enlisted the help of a man who has a 7.5 foot black headed python. I am breeding rats and he was going to kill them for me, in exchange for keeping some for his own python. He was going to break their necks - quick, no panic or pain. However he has decided he isn't confidant to do this!

Drowning and freezing are NOT humane options.

I had a vet tell me the old 'car exhaust' system is a humane way to do it, I'm just not sure of the consequences of feeding them to my snake after they have been killed from exhaust fumes. It is just carbon monoxide but its pollution... I NEED HELP!

Any suggestions of how to humanely kill them, or if you know they will be safe to be consumed after car exhaust carbon monoxide overload, please let me know :)

Thankyou!
where in vic are u ? i use the C.D method .

anyone pencil theres? i think sax is talking about it, not to sure. hard with big adult rats but all mice size and smaller rats. stick a solid tool (screwdrive pencil whatever) as long as its flat at the base of skull/neck and push down on a flat surface and yank the tail from the very base and it snap all there bones in one go (neck,spine etc) and instantly limp....
anyone heard of this method?

how do you kill live chickens is my next question

anyone pencil theres? i think sax is talking about it, not to sure. hard with big adult rats but all mice size and smaller rats. stick a solid tool (screwdrive pencil whatever) as long as its flat at the base of skull/neck and push down on a flat surface and yank the tail from the very base and it snap all there bones in one go (neck,spine etc) and instantly limp....
anyone heard of this method?

Yeah that's CD. Mine don't go limp though, their back legs usually thrash around a bit (I guess like the old chicken with its head cut off)

ahh thought so. i find CD the best method. except i once did a big rat and didnt completely kill it it just got half paralysed :( so had to quickly finish it with a ddong. hence i dont do the big big ones anymore like that. and i want the chicks whole not headless :) how hard is it to snap a chickens neck?

grab said rodent by the tail, swing rodent (aiming head/neck) into a solid object like a brick wall edge, edge of the enclosure etc etc. and there you have it......... snake food!

ahh thought so. i find CD the best method. except i once did a big rat and didnt completely kill it it just got half paralysed :( so had to quickly finish it with a ddong. hence i dont do the big big ones anymore like that. and i want the chicks whole not headless :) how hard is it to snap a chickens neck?

Yeah I think that's why it's not recommended for anything over 150g.
Chickens are even easier. Just grab the head in one hand and the legs in the other and yank. Maybe gas a couple and practice on them first.

Must not have been great to see that happen when you went to gas them... Does introducing the co2 in small doses reduce this problem?
Yeah I think there is a pretty specific rate that you are meant to use which induces sleep first but most backyard breeders with their Soda Stream hooked up with a bit of hose don't have that much control

What CD's do you play. I would assume if you choose the wrong ones death could be agonisingly slow.

PS, I included the bag option in my earlier post for people new to dispatching. Cervical dislocation takes a little bit of practice but after you've done it often enough it is the quickest and easiest option..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back