How to kill rats for snake food!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@ 'Trouble', thank you for that link, I will read through it later on (when I'm not at work!)
And same for the video from 'Fuscus'. Thankyou for sharing those!

As for the other methods, involving pencils etc, no way! If something goes wrong you're torturing it. I personally couldn't do the killing and wouldn't trust someone inexperienced to do it in that way. A quick broken neck is concerning the man willing to do it for me, so definitely none of the brutal methods!!

I have seen almost every method go wrong, even swinging them against something (a large rat swung by the tail, the tail was degloved and the rat ran free, in excruciating pain). I know with CO2 the concentrations have to be correct, too little and they will get dozy but not die, too much and it can sting their membranes. In the right concentrations it is a humane method. I just don't know how to control the concentrations - hopefully looking into those links will help me :)

And not to say I will do any of these unlawful methods, but for 'curiosity' I wouldnt mind hearing of any other humane suggestions :)

The methods people have mentioned here are just about the only ones I've heard of. There's some very experienced guys here who know what they're talking about. The only other way that I could think of would be freezing but as you said, it's not humane. I did it once a couple of years ago before I knew better and the image still disturbs me

And chickens have a different reflex than rats, twitching etc shortyl after death is normal, but a rat should not 'thrash about', if it does you haven't killed the poor thing properly!!

I disagree. I've done it heaps of times and the dislocation is very evident

CharleighMars, you've got some good replies here from people who are experienced. You have said yourself you aren't. Might be best not to keep telling them they are wrong.

I used the gas method, but after watching them struggling to try and find air i saw it no different to a python squeezing it to death... i now either whack them into a corner edge or slam them into the ground with enough force to kill them instantly. maybe a bit bloody but at least they arn't struggling to take a breath.

I'm a vet nurse. I'm not experienced with killing them but am in their physiology. I don't 'keep telling people they're wrong' All I have said is that I couldn't do the 'messy' methods, and that chickens and rats have different responses to death. Not trying to offend anybody.

I'm a vet nurse. I'm not experienced with killing them but am in their physiology. I don't 'keep telling people they're wrong' All I have said is that I couldn't do the 'messy' methods, and that chickens and rats have different responses to death. Not trying to offend anybody.

I was just offering a perspective on how some people might perceive your responses :) A reptile forum is the right place to get info on how to kill rodents, so kudos to you for coming to the right place and asking direct questions.

Myself, I will probably keep letting other people do the killing!

@newtolovingsnake this is where I'm just a pushover :p I love my rats, and had pet rats before my snake. I like them to have a lot of room, enrichment, toys, a healthy varied diet. They don't get the best life in a lab and I don't like it!

See, such a bloody animal lover I want my snake food to have to best life possible. I feel less guilty feeding 'happy rats' to my snake :p

i ahte bashing cause once defrosted can have blood dripping every where. CD is clean as CO and quicker

*hate

Where does it say its illegal to kill mice/rats except by Co2 that seems a bit far fetched to me. I mean your allowed to shoot animals, cut off their heads etc why the heck can't you kill a rodent another way?

What is the most humane way to kill pest rats and mice? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase
RSPCA seems to think you can use traps which is basically the bash method.

I only recantly started killing my own rodents it took a bit of effort since I'm really terrified of causing animals pain. The killing is not an issue but I freaked out that I would paralyse/hurt them. Anyway it turns out mice are pretty easy to kill just grab them by the tail and slam them into a hard object.

@CharleighMars - that made me smile, hey a happy life is better than no life at all I suppose :)

Fuscus - I appreciate that video now I have watched it! That was very quick, the rat was calm and happy moments beforehand. Have you had many issues with this method or is it mostly straightforward?
I tend to use CO2 as I do a lot but have used that method, it is very quick and straight forward and is certainly a better way out than the route last nights steak took

I take them, and throw them on the ground!

[video=youtube;gAYL5H46QnQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ[/video]

but i do find a quick hard throw is the best way to kill them.

Last edited:
Haven't read through, but where in Vic are you? I'll do the neck breaking for that deal.

omg im sorry i had to say this - reading through this - serial killers in the making hahaha - calming discussing how to kill rats and chickens :twisted:

LOL!

I am in the yarra valley, and seriously if someone can kill them for me I'd be happy to give you a couple or pay you like a dollar a rat baha, one of my rats just gave birth to about 10 babies!!

Good point SperO, plus you can buy ratsack from stores! All sorts of poisons and traps are legal to use, so CO2 musn't be the only legal way! (Of course poisons etc are no good for snakes though)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back