How big can a Black Headed Python get?!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just out of curiosity, what's your favourite aussie snake out of these guys?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Momos

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been bantering with my younger brother about who's pet snake is going to get the biggest! He has a Coastal carpet python and i obviously have a BHP! :)

Anyway, I was just enquiring whether any one knew how big they could get, i know I've read somewhere that they can get up to 2.5 - 3 metres and yes, i probably could just google it, but im interested to see what u guys say. Let me know whats the biggest one you have seen or owned! pictures would be great!

BTW my little fella is 110cm long! :D cheers guys! oh and if anyone knows how big coastal carpet pythons get, that would be great to know too! ;)

I obviously voted for the BHP! :D

Last edited:
We once saw a BHP(alive) on the road and it was longer then the two lane bitchumen road so yeah quite long.

BHP adults reach on average around 2.5m with some specimens reaching 3m+.. Coastals average around 3m but there have been specimens that have reached 4m+

Coastals and BHP's can both be massive...
Which gets bigger? That depends almost entirely on how much they are fed..
A well fed Coastal will get bigger than a 'maintenance' fed BHP and vice versa..

Have a look at Den's website (Den Pythons) if you want to see some big BHP's..

Must be the narrowest road in the Melways!

They both get to a good size in excess of 3m! Carpets get a bit longer.

amazingly it would have been around 5m imo which is huge since they are averge at about 3m.

amazingly it would have been around 5m imo which is huge since they are averge at about 3m.

he said longer than the road, when what he meant was the snake was longer than the road is wide. Anyway we know what he meant and it was still clearly an exaggeration.

he said longer than the road, when what he meant was the snake was longer than the road is wide. Anyway we know what he meant and it was still clearly an exaggeration.

I never said longer then the road but longer then the lanes(so width), and whatever the lanes were it was longer then that with the tail on one side and the head over the other.

didn't exactly say wider but either, a 5 meter bhp well i never

Around 5m, wheather that be less or not, however I thought the two lanes where a good 4-5m wide. and yes very sure it was a bhp because I even got out and picked it up, very heavy snake!!

Last edited:
A mate of a friends uncle's brothers best mates cousins sisters boyfriend said he saw a BHP that was over 19ft long because he measured it with a ruler and his wifes girlfrends sisters cousins uncle who live somewhere else nearby away from them but around the corner said he saw a coastal the same size and it was bigger than his car which is huge. :D:D I thought it sounded far fetched but it must be true if they saw it. :D:D

OK why is it whenever someones sees something out of the ordinary you all have to bag that person out & be rather degrading.

Fang101 is my son & he saw this snake one night with his father & brother on the road between Emerald & Alpha in central QLD. The road is 2 lanes wide & all 3 said the snake was the width of the road, with its head on one side of the shoulder & the tail on the other. They were all rather amazed as non had ever seen a BHP this size before. They actually stopped & helped hurry the snake of the road before another vehicle came along.

OK why is it whenever someones sees something out of the ordinary you all have to bag that person out & be rather degrading.

Fang101 is my son & he saw this snake one night with his father & brother on the road between Emerald & Alpha in central QLD. The road is 2 lanes wide & all 3 said the snake was the width of the road, with its head on one side of the shoulder & the tail on the other. They were all rather amazed as non had ever seen a BHP this size before. They actually stopped & helped hurry the snake of the road before another vehicle came along.

I still find it a tall story, Your average 2 lane road is 6 meters wide, Thats a tad short of 20 feet in the old scale!
I have seen a lot of BHP's and they are flatout getting to 10 feet let alone 20!

Ok i wasn't bagging your son, I was more interested then anything.. I've seen an 11ft BHP in captivity that was one very old girl.. A 5m (15ft+) BHP would have to be the largest specimen that I've ever heard off not saying it's not possible, though it would be very rare for them to reach that size.

Hmm, I think this poll will be a bit one sided as the majority of people looking at the thread will be BHP enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back