Phobias.....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grannieannie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've been reading a thread about Huntsman spiders and some people are saying how they are afraid of spiders, a real phobia....so I'm wondering what phobias do other people have.

I don't like lizards...the little tiny ones...ok, but nothing like a blue tongue and I'm not keen on dragons either. I also don't like going down esculators and I don't like lifts, and I don't like heights. I don't like driving my car, never have liked driving, but am ok in my local suburb.

OK guys..... fess up !!! :lol:

I've been reading a thread about Huntsman spiders and some people are saying how they are afraid of spiders, a real phobia....so I'm wondering what phobias do other people have.

I don't like lizards...the little tiny ones...ok, but nothing like a blue tongue and I'm not keen on dragons either. I also don't like going down esculators and I don't like lifts, and I don't like heights. I don't like driving my car, never have liked driving, but am ok in my local suburb.

OK guys..... fess up !!! :lol:

Wow, how do you leave the house???

My only issue is public speaking. I am ok at answering questions about a topic I am comfortable with, but a prepared presentation scares the crap out of me.

I don't really like big crowds for some reason, I have no I dear why they have never done anything to me. I used to have a phobia of spiders, but I once had to move a huntsman out of the bathroom and I ended up thinking it was really cool so I got over my fear and now love them.

Thats all of mine, but my bird is scared of hands, he won't come near them and tries to bite them and just sits there screaming, I wrapped a finger in glad-wrap once and he was fine so he has a wierd phobia too.

Heights to a certain degree, but not for the usual reasons. I get that urge to jump pretty strongly, which is probably why I enjoyed bungee jumping so much :D
Definitely a bit of claustrophobia as well. As soon as I get into a tight space, where there's solid wall in front of me or a heavy weight over me I can't breathe properly; sucks because there was a pretty awesome caving trip back in high school I wanted to go on... tubing blackwater, glow-worms, the works... and a nice little couple of metre stretch called the rebirth which screwed it for me. No. Way. In. Hell.
Also for some reason carpet pythons. Antaresia, Liasis, Aspidites... I'm fine. I'll chill with my hubbie's full-grown BHPs not a problem, but ask me to grab out a juvie DCP and I'll run for the hills. Random much?

Thankfully I'm retired and don't have to go in lifts or on esculators anymore....but when I had to, or sometimes I go to the city, then I just deal with it or I take the lift or esculator that I feel most comfortable with, I take deep breaths and just do it, and am very thankful when the experience is over. There are some very long steep esculators at Perth Central railway station and I totally hate them, I don't mind going up...but hate going down, so I take the little lifts they have, those ones aren't too bad. Mostly when I go out in the car, my husband drives, we even do the grocery shopping together and he drives to the shops. In 1993 we went on a world trip and I was totally terrified of flying, we went with Cathy Pacific and they were marvellous to me, let me go and see a plane on the ground and even upgraded us on the first leg to Hong Kong so I'd feel more comfortable. Now... I love flying and like to sit right at the back where I get all the bumps. LOL. I still have my phobias, but I won't let them ruin my life.....

Nothing, other than death.

No, I'm certainly not afraid of death.....

i dont know if its a fear but i dont like being in big crowds.. music festivals dont mind me for some reason, but i avoid my local night club on a saturday night just cos i have to be around so many people. i avoid shopping centres after 3pm cos thats when they are busy.. and i dont even bother with town 2 weeks before christmas.
seriously makes me want to run a knife across my throat.

I don't know if I'd call it a phobia....but like many of you, I don't much like being in crowds either. If I have people to the house I prefer just a couple of couples to come at one time, not several......though for my 60th birthday last year my brothers and my sister came to the house for a bbq, there were only 7 of us, and that was really great.

I have a fear that any bird will try to peck my eyes out! I cant have them 2 close to my face or I start blinking like crazy and my eyes water! I HATE maggots!!! They make my vomit and gag the min I see them, but I cant kill them! I have to scoop them up and put them outside! My other half thinks its funny cos I make crazy sounds and get the shakes when Im collecting them! hahahaha!! Oh and I have a fear of heights due to a bad experience during my army training! Not keen on spiders 2. :)

Public speaking, generally only if its on a topic I'm not entirely confident with... or if it's around my peers

failure is not your doing your personal best, well in my opinion that's what it means

Talking on the phone with people i don't know or know well. gives me the heebi geebies... and feet.. crowded places sometimes set me off to, depends on the circumstances... lol

There was a similar thread last year and we found out there was a thing called Phobiphobia. Ha ha , a fear of phobias.

I hate crowds, and self important people.

I can get through both with a concious effort.

I can join a lot of the rest of you in saying I dislike crowds. Can anyone join me in my phone anxiety? It's completely irrational, but I hate making phone calls. I don't much like receiving them either, but I still mostly answer the phone. When it comes to making a phone call, I will do everything I possibly can to avoid it!

Email and the internet has been a blessing for me. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back