What am i ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feurety

Reaction score
hey people, cat caught this little guy last night, gonna let him go in afew mins as he survived the night and seems to be full of life again, no serious injurys. Eastern brown or mayb a brown tree snake ? his bellie is a creamy/yellow and has bits of very pale blue down his sides.

Attachments

• IMG_9248.jpg
    IMG_9248.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_9246.jpg
    IMG_9246.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 273
I wouldnt even attempt an id, im not that good yet. But good on you for saving the little fella, my kids just saved a tiny baby water dragon yesterday from our cat, it made its way from the back yard, where we have hundreds of them, into the cat run out the front!! No injuries, thankfully the kids found it in time!!

Don't let it go. Get to a vet or care group ASAP.

Edit: Sorry just noticed the post time. I guess you already have released it.

It is probably better of in the wild if it can move OK, as they are lizard feeders and can be difficult to transfer onto something else in short-term captivity while any minor wounds heal.

Blue

It is probably better of in the wild if it can move OK, as they are lizard feeders and can be difficult to transfer onto something else in short-term captivity while any minor wounds heal.

Blue

If it had any pucture wounds from a cat it is an infection waiting to happen.

Before i went to release this little guy i gave him another good inspection. I decided 1 of his punctures on his neck looked like it was starting to get infected so i took him to the australia zoo wildlife hospital. Ill be keeping in touch with them to see how hes doing.

Simple answer to the problem.....

Keep the cats inside...

Have you or other people on here noticed good breeders of rare/expensive cat breeds keep them in aviaries?

snakes in a click clack...
no diff to me.
animals are controlled...
I used to have abesinians a very rare breed in oz and stopped as they were th worst killer of wild life as a breed, if it moved it was fair game. relitives still keep rare breeds like bengals (1st and possiby only breeder in the country) all kept in fenced inclosures somewhat similar to being incarcerated with extras!

Cats...... i love them for what they are especially the rare breeds but hate them in the same breath for the undiscriminate killers they are.

There will be people here who believe all cats should be outlawed but i ask them the question.....

Cat sized enclosure with licence and the lovers, like you snake, lizard would not see problems.

Keep your cats in a way that they cannot harm wildlife and we will all get along!

Last edited:
Simple answer to the problem.....

Keep the cats inside...

Have you or other people on here noticed good breeders of rare/expensive cat breeds keep them in aviaries?

snakes in a click clack...
no diff to me.
animals are controlled...
I used to have abesinians a very rare breed in oz and stopped as they were th worst killer of wild life as a breed, if it moved it was fair game. relitives still keep rare breeds like bengals (1st and possiby only breeder in the country) all kept in fenced inclosures somewhat similar to being incarcerated with extras!

Cats...... i love them for what they are especially the rare breeds but hate them in the same breath for the undiscriminate killers they are.

There will be people here who believe all cats should be outlawed but i ask them the question.....

Cat sized enclosure with licence and the lovers, like you snake, lizard would not see problems.

Keep your cats in a way that they cannot harm wildlife and we will all get along!

I am a massive cat fan, and i disagree when people always jump to conclusions saying cats are such massive killers. The amount of callouts i have gone to when a dog has killed a snake, it really is no different. I have siamese and Ragdolls, mine go out side but never leave the porch, the world is obviously to scary for them lol. And yes some people need to be responsible, but people always saying lock up your cats, simple, well no it not always that simple, cause people driving cars kills more wild life then most of anything in Aus, maybe we should all walk to prevent this from happening also? Not trying to start a debate, i am just saying in general as someone who does love cats , people can go over board veryh quickly, yes people will use the argument that they are not native blah blah blah, have heard it all before, this is just my point of view

I am a massive cat fan, and i disagree when people always jump to conclusions saying cats are such massive killers. The amount of callouts i have gone to when a dog has killed a snake, it really is no different. I have siamese and Ragdolls, mine go out side but never leave the porch, the world is obviously to scary for them lol. And yes some people need to be responsible, but people always saying lock up your cats, simple, well no it not always that simple, cause people driving cars kills more wild life then most of anything in Aus, maybe we should all walk to prevent this from happening also? Not trying to start a debate, i am just saying in general as someone who does love cats , people can go over board veryh quickly, yes people will use the argument that they are not native blah blah blah, have heard it all before, this is just my point of view

I have a chinchilla cross Siamese that has never left the porch as well, The only time i ever see him move is when there is food in his bowl. I also have a three legged cat that sits around the front yard or on the walking path just so he can get attention from everyone. Ive seen birds eating out of their food bowl whilst they are lying next to it and they don’t even care as well as having them around the house when a very pesky and sociable lorikeet decides to pay them a visit and sit on them and “groom” them. Even though this happens i still make sure my cats have 2 bells on their collars. I completely agree with everything you say, not all cats & owners are bad and locking them up is not always a solution. Although i live in the suburbs, i think i would provide a cat run if i lived anywhere close to the bush, mainly for the safety of them.

I live in the suburbs, & i have an enclosure for my cats for a number of reasons.

1. While i also have quite lazy cats, they are cats, & they like to hunt. I dont want to be responsible for the deaths of any of the lizards, snakes, or birds on or around my property.
2. Prior to having these 3 cats, i spent thousands on my last cat, as she wasnt kept indoors & she ran into many problems. Firstly she attempted to eat a cane toad, secondly she was run over, & then she was involved in a number of fights which ended in her having infections & injuries which cost me a fortune.
3. My neighbours dont like cats........

To me, it is best for the cat & the wildlife they share an environment with if they are kept in enclosures when outside. We have just upgraded our enclosure & it was worth every dollar spent. Although at times i cant control what happens to the critters that find their way in the enclosure!! A silly mouse had a litter in there, which of course the kitten found :? Also one of the baby water dragons from our backyard found its way out to the enclosure on the weekend, luckily the kids spotted it though & we moved it back to safety!

kind of sick of people saying keeping a cat in a cage is responsable etc just like cats .... snakes and lizards devour just as much life as any other meat eating animal .. seriously look at the amount of animal slaughter humans do .. shouldnt we be locking ourselfs up in cages? cats hunting wildlife is a natural part of there life.. its pure instinct for survival. Sorry but its unfair in my view to label certain species as to what the can and cant do natrually. A cat has just as much right to eat other animals freely as the geckos on the roof eating bugs everynight.

kind of sick of people saying keeping a cat in a cage is responsable etc just like cats .... snakes and lizards devour just as much life as any other meat eating animal .. seriously look at the amount of animal slaughter humans do .. shouldnt we be locking ourselfs up in cages? cats hunting wildlife is a natural part of there life.. its pure instinct for survival. Sorry but its unfair in my view to label certain species as to what the can and cant do natrually. A cat has just as much right to eat other animals freely as the geckos on the roof eating bugs everynight.

So why did you bother to save the snake rather than letting the cat finish it off?

Sorry but its unfair in my view to label certain species as to what the can and cant do natrually.
Keyword here is naturally. Cats were/are introduced to Australia by us, and we (should) have a duty of care to keep them from affecting the native ecosystem.

So why did you bother to save the snake rather than letting the cat finish it off?

ill help any animal infront of me in pain to have a chance to live .. the cat wasnt mine personally but thats not the point.

Keyword here is naturally. Cats were/are introduced to Australia by us, and we (should) have a duty of care to keep them from affecting the native ecosystem.

naturally and native are 2 different things ... humans were introduced to australia ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back