Reptiles and real estate dillema

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymonde

Reaction score
I got my first Bredli about a month ago :D and i have the first house inspection since i got it (I am renting) coming up on friday. I didn't check with the real estate before getting the snake because i know that previous housemates had kept a dog and i thought if a dog is allowed a snake shouldn't be a problem.... But i recently found out that the dog wasn't allowed and went next door whenever there was a house inspection.... Now I don't know what to do :(.... As i see it i have 3 options.

1) I could not mention the snake and hope they don't notice it, which is highly likely as it is currently in a click clack on my desk. HOWEVER i have just moved a large enclosure (1200x1000x550mm) upstairs to the dining room which has branches and shelves and no glass but is obviously not a cupboard (i guess i could unscrew the branches....), and i don't think there is anyway they could miss it..... there is also 2 smaller empty enclosures downstairs which could be hidden.... this is obviously only a temporary solution, although i could try to hid the reptiles every house inspection....

2) so option two is to admit i want a snake but pretend i don't have it yet and that i am just setting up enclosures in advance and hopefully get permission....

3) or i could openly admit i have a snake and hopefully get permission.... I would much rather be honest and i don't really like the idea of lying or deceiving but i have wanted a pet snake since i was 8years old and there is no way i am parting with her now....

All my friends (non herpers) say don't mention the snake and hope they don't notice.... What does everyone here think....? I know several of you have had issues with real estates in the past...

thanks Raymonde

You could simply throw a sheet over them- from my understanding they cannot legally move/open things to see whats behind. I asked my old real estate whether they'd mind if I kept a turtle in an outdoor enclosure and they had no issues- they only cared about cats and dogs.

I have 5 snakes and i'm currently renting and they didn't seem to have any problem with them. I did tell them before they moved into the house tho and they seemed fine with it as long as they were housed in enclosures. Our real estate agent is real relaxed tho and apparently she used to own snakes which has helped. I suggest you just call and ask what the pet policy is in relation to the house and if they say its ok then your all safe but if not just move it to a mates during inspection or something or somewhere they won't check.. Good luck.
Cheers Tim

I have been in my place for 2.5yrs and recently got a stimson, you cant miss his enclosure and i had an inspection and nothing has been mentioned. I didn't try to hide his enclosure, but put some tape on the glass door so i would know if they tried to open it. Was holding my breath waiting for something to be said but no issues so good luck with it.

Well....it's a hard one I guess seeing as you haven't already told them....but if it were me, I'd get all the info you can in writing about the snake. Try and impress upon them it would always be... locked ...away, show them your license. Prove to them as much as you can that you're responsible, point out that they are quiet, don't destroy things, aren't let out to roam in or outside, and the snake is not dangerous.....then cross your fingers and toes !! Good luck with whatever you decide.

i figured a sheet would look very suspicious and they'ed want to know what was under it.....

I know its mostly dogs and cats they care about, which is why i am tempted to be honest, or at least say i am wanting to or getting a pet snake in the future... however once i mention it they will be on the lookout so if they say no i loose my chance of hiding it.

What i find the hardest is that personally i would choose to be honest but everyone i talk to says not to tell the real estate and hide the snake(s)....

I guess I am just trying to find out if there are many people out there that are allowed to have reptiles by the real estate.... ours keeps getting new agents and all women who don't seem like they would be into snakes but i guess appearances can be deceiving....

Get a poster size picture of books and stick it to the front of the enclosure. Oh yeah, and dim the lights.

Hey mate I got a few snakes after I had moved in and did the hide them at inspection time but then thought if i pay my rent on time and look after the house the if they don’t like it I would move elsewhere. As it was the prop manager said there is bugger all the owner or real estate can do as it’s in an enclosure and wont damage the property. She hates snakes but understands people like them and it’s no different to fish.
I would fess up and say hey look at what I got ......

Get a poster size picture of books and stick it to the front of the enclosure. Oh yeah, and dim the lights.

LOL that awesome!!!! love the idea.... don't think it would ever fool me.... but the real estate agents do a pretty quick sweep sometimes so it could fool them

i had a similar delema my GF baught cuddles my spotted python for me last christmas. i had a house inspection last week from talking to the realestate person they only get ****ty if the pet is a cat /dog that can make lots of noise and attract fleas, the owner wasnt too impressed with the fact i had a sake in the house ( he hates snakes ) but was ok after i explained to him what is involved with keeping a snake. so relax mate if you are not comfortable with showing em throw a bed sheet over the enclosure and they cant look in there without asking permition. or ask a friend to pet sit it for the day.

so the gist of it is that I worry too much (this is not a new concept;)) and that it will all work out if i can just get them to listen to how non damaging reptiles are as pets.....

As has been stated, the general concern about animals and renting is the smell which can get entrenched in carpeting, and the fact that they can get the place dirty (fur, fleas, leaving dirt on carpets etc). If you explain that the snake doesn't smell and cause mess you should be right. Especially if it's just the one. This can obviously depend on your relationship with the agent/landlord and/or how educated they are about reptiles.

just ask i was in the same situation :p i told a little lie but, i rang them and said i had my snake at my parents but recently was informed by the DEC that it has to be at my house. They rang the next day and where like it will be fine as long as it's secure and doesnt cause mess, infact our rent inspector loves snakes

Never had any problems with realestates and snakes .I have 8 and at one stage the big Olive had her own bedroom .At inspection time the agents spent more time talking about the snakes than they did doing the inspection .So long as the house or whatever is kept clean and tidy there shouldn't be any dramas .

My landlord hates snakes, but knows I am responsible person, she has given me a limit of 30....opps I have over 40;-), she also never batted an eyelid to the rats

Had this problem a few months ago except they did an inspection and just sent us a letter telling us to get rid of them. Once we pointed out that they were not roaming around the house and that it was no difference to a piece of furniture all was good.

I have not had a problem with keeping reptiles in rental places, in fact most land lords seem to favor them over dogs, cats, birds. As they don't damage their house so don't stress. But it pays to be honest and speak to your lessor about your pet.

i was honest at an inspection, it ended up with the real estate agent wanting to hold the snakes and saying how cute they were...

I also had the owners of the house through last inspection and they never said a word!

I just drape a sheet over the enclosure, unplug the light and put a stereo on top

Fess up or chuck a sarong over it and wack some ornaments on top. If it was me I'd
do the sarong thing but ask if keeping a snake would be a problem, like get their permission first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back