Velvet stimsons python???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah_m

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was just browsing the Snake Ranch website and noticed they had velvet stimsons pythons for sale.

Has anyone heard of/seen these before? They don't seam to be a particular locale, so what makes them different from any other stimsons?
There is no description, just a picture of what looks like a light reduced pattern stimmy.

I asked about these at the SR display at the Castle Hill show, & was also curious about locality.
They seemed unsure in regards to locality, & mentioned it was more about the patterning.
So pretty much what you've worked out yourself.

Last edited:
something different i suppose, but that one in the pic looks a bit odd. just can't put my finger on it, maybe just a bad camera angle.

Looks sickly to me? =S

Me too...

Next time I hatch something that looks sick or deformed, I'm just going to slap a name on it and hefty price tag - seems to be the thing to do now-a-days.

I seriously doubt SR would advertise or release any of their animals without being 100% certain they are healthy.

It looks like a hatchling to me; not sickly or anything, just a hatchy, albeit one with an interesting, ill-contrasting pattern. The possibilities in breeding these would be intriguing.

Is this a clutch variance or is it a genetic trait, i have seen these and it can be either one. If it is a clutch variance then there is no breeding possibilities.

So really its just a colour morph like the honey jungles or patternless childrens?

what about the piebald childrens project they have.the velvet doesn't look that good.

Is this a clutch variance or is it a genetic trait, i have seen these and it can be either one. If it is a clutch variance then there is no breeding possibilities.

Clutch variation certainly doesn't mean you cannot breed
more of them, it wouldn't work the way of a genetic morph but line breeding for specific patterns is achievable with enough effort. Things that affect colour not paterns can be used to enhance these so I wouldn't say there's no breeding possibilities.

It looks as though the photo has been cut from another background and placed on the light background. Given how young it is, it may well still change colour to a degree.

Interesting but not my cup of tea.

Blue

I think the poor photoshop job that has been done of cutting it out makes it looks worse than it is.

Clutch variation certainly doesn't mean you cannot breed
more of them, it wouldn't work the way of a genetic morph but line breeding for specific patterns is achievable with enough effort. Things that affect colour not paterns can be used to enhance these so I wouldn't say there's no breeding possibilities.

So what your saying is if you produce a single unusuall looking individual a product of clutch variation and breed it back to a sibling they will produce simular offspring?

So what your saying is if you produce a single unusuall looking individual a product of clutch variation and breed it back to a sibling they will produce simular offspring?

I highly doubt if they're selling them they only have one. Essentially, yes. If you get one animal that is different and breed it to, whatever you like really, genetic morph or not its paterns aren't going to be totally ignored through its offspring. Thats what we call 'line breeding'.

I saw a semi-patternless for sale at the Melbourne Herp Expo last week. Kind of similar to the one on the Snake Ranch website. I believe it was the same price as the other non-patternless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back