Newbie snake owner needs advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goober

Reaction score
Hi all,
i'm hoping someone can give me some advice please. I am a very new "soon to be" snake owner. Just waiting on my licence to pick up my new baby.

I've bought a 4 month old diamond python and i'm sooo excited.

I have been looking through the forums and have learnt so much, temperature, handling techniques etc but no where does it say when you should feed your snake.

I know it's around 5-7 days for a juvenile but what is the best time to feed them, morning afternoon etc?
I also thought it might be a good rule to feed a couple of days after he poops to get him in a routine, is this advisable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

i feed mine in the morning as soon as i get up but i dont think that the time of day really matters unless you get a nocturnal snake

i read somewhere on here that you can get more of a feeding response at night because thats when they tend to be more active so thats when i feed my woma

Hmmm I still only have my L plates so will go out on a limb here.... I have used a general rule of thumb of around 7-10 days between each feed till I know they are feeding without any issues(seller will probably give you feeding/shedding records) after I am satisfied all is well I mix the feeding up a bit so that it isnt a regular occurrence. I just figure they dont have watches in the wild... oh hang about they dont have wrists either lol As my Boy got older/larger I have spaced his feeds out futher eg he will go sometimes a fortnight without food once even a month(he regurgitated a large fuzzy so I let him be)put it this way, it doesnt hurt them to go longer between feeds now and again :) Note this is working for me, no doubt more experienced than I will add their wisdom :)
Kind regards
Crystal
I have found my Coastal does have a more rapid response to food at night, but will feed any time of the day :)
He is a Yearling now

Last edited:
My spotteds are always out hunting in the night so I feed them then. I like to believe that they think their little hunt paid off.

Heya, congrats on getting your first snake.

I personally feed all my juvi snakes once a week.. As a rule I'll wait for my snakes to digest and deficate the previous feed before offering another feed that way I know the snake has had no problems digesting,passing the previous feed.. Feeding at night or day doesn't really matter pythons are nocturnal but will eat when offered, so it's more of a personal choice.

I feed at night because I don't handle them at night so they don't think its tucker time during the day. I feed my young ones every 7 to 10 days. I normally look for activity, they are more active when hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back