Live tucker in Townsville

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussiemozza

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone know where I can get rats for my adult carpet in the 'Ville??

Thanks
Doug

I'm assuming its to feed live, based on the subject title. Thus I would like to re-direct you to do a search for the bad stories of events that occured due to live feeding. It is not natural, it it inhumane, is unnecessary and it threatens your snake making it irresponsible. It is also illegal to do unless ALL other methods of getting the python to feed have failed, which is unusual.

If you still insist on live feeding, I shall direct you to Aachilpa vets on Ross River Road near Stocklands- one of their veterinarians has an interest in exotics and will be able to treat your python for its rat wounds, provided they aren't too severe, and you don't leave it too late.

This is all assuming that you are feeding live 'just because,' and not because the snake genuinely will only take live, and that you aren't just 'fishing' here.

Last edited:
Good grief. Is it breeding season for these numbskulls or something? More and more every day..

No it's cause the main pet store in Townsville refuses to sell live rats of mice for food and they remember who come in and ask and refuse service. So people who feed live have to find foods elsewhere. I know cause I use to be one of the people who had to refuse to serve when they wanted live pet guinea pigs!

Had a feeling it was for food but really thought and hoped it wasn't!just look at Jacinta recent thread...NO LIVE FEEDING.its pretty friggn simple.

How do you know he's not wanting to feed his snake 'fresh killed' mice/rats....

My friend only feeds his fresh killed so therefore has to buy live feed.

Stop assuming :D

Because it specifically says "Live tucker." If it were to feed fresh killed, it would make more sence simply to say "Live rodents."

ive tried weaning mine onto Mcdonalds but some want it still live and kicking so it has to be very fresh kill if not just comatos. Stop bashing people because they dont do it the way you guys do if he wants to feed live then let him. The way you guys act sometimes you should run for parliament as a Green candidate aaargh but then you would be advocating for no native animals to be kept unnaturally in your homes and have to give up your should be wild animals i mean pets. There is no law stating that you must not feed live and even if there was how could anyone prove you do it. I however do not feed live out of choice for my animals but dont bash people for wanting to its their choice and as such have to face consequences should any arise.

ive tried weaning mine onto Mcdonalds but some want it still live and kicking so it has to be very fresh kill if not just comatos. Stop bashing people because they dont do it the way you guys do if he wants to feed live then let him. The way you guys act sometimes you should run for parliament as a Green candidate aaargh but then you would be advocating for no native animals to be kept unnaturally in your homes and have to give up your should be wild animals i mean pets. There is no law stating that you must not feed live and even if there was how could anyone prove you do it. I however do not feed live out of choice for my animals but dont bash people for wanting to its their choice and as such have to face consequences should any arise.
I guess people have replied negatively toward the OP's question because they know of the damage live feeding can do to the reptile and/or because they dont like the thought of the "way" the rodent dies when live feeding. Your right in the fact that "no-one" could prove it if you chose to live feed.... So in effect it is a personal choice to live feed or not to live feed.... But you will always get negative responses on any topic that offend a persons sensibilities so I suppose that is the risk you take when posting on a public forum :) I actually thought that it is against license holder's rules to live feed unless there is no other course to take? (eminent death to reptile etc)I am sure I read it somewhere here on the forums???? but I stand/sit corrected if I misread or have gone off half cocked lol In a very lonnngggg winded way I guess I am saying that the "bashers" are bashing out of good intentions :)
Kind regards
Crystal

no i'm just saying most of the pet stores up there don't sell if they know it's going for food. That's why he's looking

have to face consequences should any arise.

They don't have to face consequences, their animals do.

As for running as a green candidate, I'll keep that in mind. Obviously with the amount of rubbish that comes out of you pauline will happily find you a portfolio somewhere.

Thanks for the laugh - I have to say I find it an incredible turn on watching the teenie, unsuspecting rodent happily exploring all the corners of the cage when something happens and you see that dawning moment of realisation and they're realise they are waaaaay in the wrong place and from there well, things pretty much go downhill. For the rat, that is.... But its all over so quick and I just can't wait until next week when I can go through the ceremony again.;)

Words fail me...

I don't give a toss about your opinions, values or beliefs but I do care for the welfare of my snake, newly arrived from Brisbane and the cost of puchasing live rats versus frozen rats. My local pet store was very helpful in informing me that the frozen rats are nearly twice the price of the livies and reminded me to 'knock 'em on the head' 'cos of potential damage to said snake.

If anyone breeds rats for their snakes out there, please pm me if you have the occasional spare. I'll happily take them live or frozen.

People, please, consider your response to posts and try and curb your opinions - if you think you have an issue with me please feel free to pm me anytime and keep the flaming off the threads, thank you.

Moz

wow. I'm not a fan of live feeding, but don't you think that's going a little far Leeloofluff?
Internet, don't ever change.

Aussiemozza, clearly no one here is going to change your mind but if you care for your snakes welfare as you say, you should strongly consider knocking the rodents first. And if you must continue to feed live, never leave the rodent and snake unattended, although it sounds like you quite like to stick around for the 'ceremony' anyway :|

Last edited by a moderator:
thats gone way too far , just because u dont have the same opinion as the op .

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly I don't know anyone up there anymore. I use to get mine from Mackay, But he moved. Have you tried the local Herp club? There use to be people who bred their own food there

You guys take life too seriously. Are you that narrow-minded you don't recognise a p!ss-take from the real thing? Did anyone read past the first paragraph? Sara_sabian, did you read the whole post?

Unbelievable.

Incidently, last I heard snakes were definitely carnivorous and I think you'll find that they all prefer live prey. But then what do I know, I've grown up and worked in the bush most of my life, lived in 2 continents and have been keeping snakes since I was 8.

Sadly I don't know anyone up there anymore. I use to get mine from Mackay, But he moved. Have you tried the local Herp club? There use to be people who bred their own food there
Thanks so much Manda for a constructive comment - I was losing faith. Good idea, I should've thought of that first before I innocently applied to this forum which, to date, has been a mine of good information.

Cheers
Moz

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back