General Feeding question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I generally up the size once my Guy wolf's his feed down lickety split and there is no longer that "good" sized bulge in his tummy. I have only ever fed my fellow(up until last feed/shop ran out of his size rat so I went to a jumbo mouse)on rats but he has shown he will now eat either. I have read that rats are better for your snake as they are not as fatty.... correct me if I am wrong"oh wise ones" The first time I offer a bigger food item Gremlin usually takes a tad longer to get it down.....

Most people recommend "a good sized lump". If you don't know what that is aim for food items that are about 15% of the snakes' weight which usually works out about right.

Ok.. thats helpful. My spotted ate his food within 5 mins.. which i thought was pretty quick considering he had it wrapped up for about 20 mins the first time i fed him before he ate it. But still has a good lump in him.. :D

I generally up the size once my Guy wolf's his feed down lickety split and there is no longer that "good" sized bulge in his tummy. I have only ever fed my fellow(up until last feed/shop ran out of his size rat so I went to a jumbo mouse)on rats but he has shown he will now eat either. I have read that rats are better for your snake as they are not as fatty.... correct me if I am wrong"oh wise ones" The first time I offer a bigger food item Gremlin usually takes a tad longer to get it down.....

I think you'll find that rats have a higher fat content then mice, this link will give you an idea on the nutrition,fat content..

Nutrition Feeder Mice | Nutrient Composition of Feeder Animals

Easy way to work out right size start with rabbit if it cant swallow go down to guinea pig then large rat and so on and so on until you find something that fits in his gob nice then bingo we have a winner

Easy way to work out right size start with rabbit if it cant swallow go down to guinea pig then large rat and so on and so on until you find something that fits in his gob nice then bingo we have a winner

mmmm so if im looking for something to fit in my 6-8 month old can i just miss the rabbit XD and go from large rat

As soon as my Darwins could eat a full sized mouse I was swapping them to the same sized rat then never looked back to mice. All except for one who at 2 years 3 months and has finally moved over to rats. He is 5.5 feet and my others are all around 7 feet at the same age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back