Phobias.....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate heights and big crowds

i hate crowds of people too
but im not so scared of heights as falling of a motel verandah. i can lean on glass 60 stories up to look down, but looking over a 15 story verandah makes me cringe.... im afraid the 30 year old rainings are gonna give way on me

I can handle most things but...... Moths freak me the hell out. I can't handle even the smallest ones. I am also terrified of someone giving me a needle when I can't see it. Sounds stupid from someone who has tattoo's but if I couldn't see what he was doing I would freak out, we ended up putting some mirrors around so he could finish.

I have a fear of dental anaesthetic. I can and have had many fillings, one very deep WITHOUT the needle. This stems from when I was 5 living in Saudi and the dentist filled 5 of my baby teeth! The anesthetic was so strong that my tongue was hanging out of my mouth for ages. I couldn't talk or swallow and drooled. I have never had the needle since. Amazingly enough the pain from the drill is manageable and at least I'm not numb afterwards.
I can have vaccinations and blood tests without fear.

I also had a fear of lifts, I can deal with them if I have to, but I usually take the stairs. this was from age 7 when I was separated from my mum when a lift malfunctioned and opened the doors while it was a couple of feet lower than it should have been. She got out with the pram and then the doors closed with me stuck inside! They also make me feel sick (I get really bad motion sickness).

Also don't like heights, I get dizzy near cliff edges or on high rise balconies and feel like I'm going to fall!

Roaches, especially those large burrowing ones eeeeeeeeeek

But the large burrowing ones are cute! At least they don't fly or run around fast like the others. My son has one as a pet :). They are amazing creatures. Did you know they bear live young and the mother looks after them for a year! Now how can you be afraid of such a caring mummy? ;)

Last edited:
I may fear it but I understand it. The whole reason I got tattoo's is to embrace that fear to better understand it. As for the moths they don't scare me, they just are freakish creatures and I get freaked out by them. This whole thread is about Phobia's but some of us just deal with them in different ways. I am a believer of facing your fears to UNDERSTAND them................. As the quote says. Isn't it strange that a single quote can be taken a different way to the way that I read it.

I hereby crown Annie as APS Therapist!

"mmm, and how does that make you feel?"

Congratulations, use your wisdom wisely ;)

LOL....trust me honey, I've needed a therapist myself sometimes. :lol:

I can handle most things but...... Moths freak me the hell out. I can't handle even the smallest ones. I am also terrified of someone giving me a needle when I can't see it. Sounds stupid from someone who has tattoo's but if I couldn't see what he was doing I would freak out, we ended up putting some mirrors around so he could finish.

You've got to be joking....you have to LOOK at needles going into you....wow...LOL...no way !!

Agh, finally, my last 3 fears:
Needles
Moths (or any insect flying/jumping around me)
Chimpanzees (after I heard the 911 call of the woman who's face was ripped off and eaten by her friend's pet chimp)

The only thing that really get's to me is ferrets, I have tried to like them but they are just so horrible I can't. I really don't know how any one keeps them as pets.

I have 2 snakes, 2 cats, 2 dogs, had birds, fish, have a tutle and even bred mice. However, I have an irrational fear or bugs (cockaroaches, spiders and so on) as well as some flying bugs/insects/grassshoppers. I will leave the table if we are having a BBQ at home and eat inside to avoid them if necessary. As well as toads and heights, if it doesn't appear to be safe or fenced off enough.
Saying all that though, I want to get a blue tongue lizard and bearded dragon after I get my third snake.

The only thing that really get's to me is ferrets, I have tried to like them but they are just so horrible I can't. I really don't know how any one keeps them as pets.

Kyro, have you had bad experiences with ferrets? If you weren't in NSW, I'd introduce you to mine, who are all a credit to their species.

Not all of them are horrible, generally they are how they're raised. if you teach them it's not okay to bite and generally be awful, then they won't. I have four, and by these ones i've been bitten a few times by the baby (she's still learning, and doesn't bite hard), and by one of the boys twice. once when i broke up a fight between the two of them, and the other time when he got his toe caught on the cage, the toe was completely twisted around and he was in agony, the poor little snot, so i can't blame him.

Unfortunately, as well behaved as they can be, they'll forever be stinky little beasties. There's nothing you can do about that.

How can you hate them? They're nature's little idiots :D

disintegratus....ferrets are natures little idiots....LOL....I like that. :lol: I've heard they're like dogs to train, is that right ??
Their smell wouldn't bother me, I have virtually no sense of smell. I think they're gorgeous. What do they eat ? How long do they live ? I've heard if you don't mate the females, you have to sterilise them or they'll die, is that true ?

To train them, I'd say it's more like a cross between a cat and a dog. They've got the playful nature of a dog, but all the will to please you of a cat. It's pretty easy to toilet train and bite-train them, but you'd be hard pressed to teach them tricks or commands.
They are gorgeous:D there's something very endearing about their obnoxious little faces, and their obnoxious little actions...
Ferrets are obligate carnivores, I feed mine a varied diet of day old chickens, rats, mice, minced roo meta, diced beef/heart mince, chicken necks etc. But you can feed them either dry ferret food or good quality cat food. No milk! They're lactose intolerant. I give them a "smoothie" made up of lactose free milk (people grade, not the pet milk because that's LOW lactose, not lactose free), raw egg yolk, and Nutrigel, which is a vitamin supplement you can get from vets and pet shops for around $25 a tube which lasts forever:)

On average they live around 8-10 years, but realistically, anything past about 7 is old age for a ferret.
Yes, that's true, the females if not mated will develop aplastic anaemia from remaining in heat, and this will kill them in a very unpleasant way. You can get them sterilised, or mated with a vasectomised boy, or get the same shot they use to get cats out of season.
Just from having a quick look on gumtree etc, Annie, ferrets are very pricey in WA. In Victoria, you can pick up a ferret kit from around $30. That said, the quality of ferrets in Victoria is appalling, people just breed them indriscriminately, so the Vic Ferret society gets overrun with them. I don't know if you can get good quality animals in WA, but I'd hope so.
If you can deal with the smell, they make incredible pets, but they are pretty high maintenance, in that if you don't play with them often, they go a bit stir-crazy.

Thanks for such a lovely long reply. We thought about getting one a few years ago, but heard they have to have lots of things to play with, like long runs all over the house with lots of twists and turns, and they are escape artists. I think I'm a bit old to have one now, but I do think they are lovely.

the fingerprickers used for BSL's......i can handle just about anything but i shake, get clammy hands and get hot if i see one of those...i can do it to someone else but can't have it done to me....

DENTISTS! Jabbing at exposed nerves with sharp pointy implements - NOT COOL! :(

Spiders!!! Not a fan of heights but will climb anything if a good looking bird is around, I also hate crowds only because people are so stupid when in packs for some reason.

I'm a big time germ o-phobe and I also find parasites to be terrifying...That show "Monsters Inside Me" that used to be on Animal Planet was the scariest **** I have ever seen. And I will now never step foot in a 3rd world tropical country after watching a few episodes of that show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back