Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_lover83

Reaction score
Good Afternoon All

I have recently constructed an amazing reptile enclosure for my 2yr old Murray Darling which he seems very happy exploring. The problem is, all of the plastic/fake plants are falling over whenever he crawls over them because of his weight.

I don't really like the idea of gluing them down (the bottom of the tank is glass) as it will make them very difficult to clean but I would love some suggestions on ways to weigh down the bases of the plants. Obviously he is still quite small considering how big he is going to get so something that will last the distance would be fantastic.

Cheers
Adriana

With similar problems in the past I've made hides/fake rocks etc with the plants wedged into them.

Another solution might be make some oversized bases for the plants so they don't tip so easily.

What about live plants, they will bend as he swims over them and he can eat it as well.

Zip ties for the win lol .... i love zip ties!!! almost as good as bailing twine or duct tape(A no no in reptile Enclosures for the younger members NO duct tape IN the enclosure)

What about live plants, they will bend as he swims over them and he can eat it as well.

Swims over and eats them ????? *grinz*

Last edited:

MD's swim & eat plants.......i am definatley getting one!! ;)

Im with Igotfrogs, i love zip ties........i fix everything with them!!

Even kids to chairs they they decide to be independent little creatures.....

Nah there are laws about Zip ties and using them on children so i found out ..... Oh oops errr i mean nah you shouldn't do that :)

Even kids to chairs they they decide to be independent little creatures.....

No!! Gee, what kind of person do you take me for?? To chairs, never, but restraining their wrists.....perhaps :p

Nah there are laws about Zip ties and using them on children so i found out ..... Oh oops errr i mean nah you shouldn't do that :)

These law makers dont have kids!! ;)

Good Afternoon All

I have recently constructed an amazing reptile enclosure for my 2yr old Murray Darling which he seems very happy exploring. The problem is, all of the plastic/fake plants are falling over whenever he crawls over them because of his weight.

I don't really like the idea of gluing them down (the bottom of the tank is glass) as it will make them very difficult to clean but I would love some suggestions on ways to weigh down the bases of the plants. Obviously he is still quite small considering how big he is going to get so something that will last the distance would be fantastic.

Cheers
Adriana

i got tiny little pots that i could bury in the substrate.. and filled them up with stones with the plants in them...(for my hatchy) maybe something similar but put heavier pots and objects

Another thing you could try is velcro. You can get velcro strips from Bunnings that have sticky stuff on the reverse side. That would let you take the plants out easily for cleaning etc.

I'm currently using it in one of my tanks to keep the background safely in place. Sticks really well to the glass.

say what? :shock:

Mark you have me in hysterics!

Just to reiterate, this is a Murray Darling carpet python, not a murray river turtle

Zip ties for the win lol .... i love zip ties!!! almost as good as bailing twine or duct tape(A no no in reptile Enclosures for the younger members NO duct tape IN the enclosure)

Swims over and eats them ????? *grinz*

I can honestly speak from experience several months ago - NO DUCT TAPE ANYWHERE NEAR THE REPTILE!

You never thought of sticking the background to the outside of the tank?

Last edited:
I found the best way is to get a piece of flat wood say 20mm x 300mm, drill some holes in it so the fake plant stem can
fit in there tightly, push it through and bend over the base on the bottom into a little groove. Squirt some glue in the hole and sorted. With a wide base, your snake is not going to ruin it for a few years. I just laid bark chips in the bottom of the cage to cover the base so it all looks like one.

That was in the early days, My snakes these days look like there kept in a white clinical laboratory.

We have the same problem with our snakes, the base of the fake plants are too small and they knock over really easily. My partner just glued a CD to the bottom and we bury the CD under the substrate as an anchor. Sounds weird, but it works really well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back