56 days and counting......

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devil

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
These are jungle eggs and usually hatch at about day 55. These eggs are on day 56 and I figure about 50 days or so to go.

I started off with 9 eggs and 1 started to go off this week. The one that has gone off I'm going to open to see at what stage the embryo is at.
All the other eggs, as you can see in the pic, look pristine.

I've had a few people ask me why do this, well it's a bit like someone wanting to climb Mt Everest.

Attachments

• 2270.JPG
    2270.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 252
Curious, would incubating at such low temps effect the animals? Besides taking longer to hatch obviously.

Colouration? Would they be darker to obsorb more heat as the temperature is lower?

Curious, would incubating at such low temps effect the animals? Besides taking longer to hatch obviously.

Some years ago I was told that incubating at low temps produced jungles with big dorsal stripes.

I tried low temps 2 years ago and while I did get 1 jungle out of 11 that was different there were only a couple that had a dorsal stripe.
Both parents had good stripes so I would have expected the offspring to also have stripes.

My best guess at this stage is that these eggs will hatch at around the 115 - 120 day mark and the babies will be similar to the ones in the normal incubator.

Some years ago I was told that incubating at low temps produced jungles with big dorsal stripes.

I tried low temps 2 years ago and while I did get 1 jungle out of 11 that was different there were only a couple that had a dorsal stripe.
Both parents had good stripes so I would have expected the offspring to also have stripes.

My best guess at this stage is that these eggs will hatch at around the 115 - 120 day mark and the babies will be similar to the ones in the normal incubator.

Interesting. Any differences in hatching size? Feeding? Or were they just as strong as the normal ones etc.

could you post pics of what you find inside the bad egg? Would be interesting to see how it is/was developing up until this point.

Cheers,
dave

Dave, I'm going to give that egg a few more days before I open it up......When I do I'll post the pics....

8 eggs is a lovely size clutch....just enough to see if you get something nice but not too many to make it hard work and having to find sooooooo many homes for them all !!

why did you decide to incubate at the lower temp.....just to experiment......?

8 eggs is a lovely size clutch....just enough to see if you get something nice but not too many to make it hard work and having to find sooooooo many homes for them all !!

why did you decide to incubate at the lower temp.....just to experiment......?

Why do it, well I was interested to see if by incubating at low temps you hatched babies with big dorsal stripes.......doesn't happen........

The other reason is just curiosity as to how low can the temp be and the eggs still hatch....

Thanks nev, will be interested to see where its at. Will also be interested to see what pops out of the eggs that do go the distance.

Dave, I'm going to give that egg a few more days before I open it up......When I do I'll post the pics....

Ok, I've had a few people contact me wanting to know what has happened with the eggs.

I had a couple more eggs go off a few days ago so decided to cut the other and have a look.
Development was well advanced, good length and with the pattern well established. Unfortunately all the embryos bar 1 were dead. The 1 that was still alive died a few hours later.

I'm guessing that growth stopped at around the 95 to 100 day mark. I could speculate as to why but it would simply be a W.A.G.

I did hatch some at low temps 2 seasons ago, they took between 89 and 93 days. The hatchlings were that unremarkable I only have pics of 1.

It would seem that the tipping point for low incubation is somewhere between 22C and 26.5C

Am I going to try again?, no, I did it a couple of years ago so I'll try something different. Next season I'm going to try at hight temps of around 35C or a bit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back