Help with a stowaway

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MathewB

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
When we got our new boat and my Dad found this little frog, I've ID him as a Southern Orange-Eyed Tree Frog. He definitely, 100000% did NOT come from our house/area. The only frogs here are tiny little things (sedge frog or something), the boat came from a Marina. But this is a new boat and people have been working on it over the last couple of days so there are no definite's as to where it came from.

I don't want to just release due to the possible effects on the local frogs and I'm not comfortable releasing him at said Marina, so are there any options? Other then keeping him (which I would like to do but he does belong in the wild). I wouldn't think any wildlife people would take him (suggested by mum) so set up Barry in this. I realise it's not adequate and tips would be helpful. I'm aware of the legalities of keeping him but not the penalty's so if someone would enlighten me on this I would appreciate it.

IMG_1916.jpgIMG_1917.jpgIMG_1911.jpgIMG_1914.jpg

What do I feed him? What is the cheapest set-up available?

Cheers

Im not a frog person, but i would google the type of places it lives in and try to bring that type of conditions and environment into the tub/enclosure you have it in. But as it came from the wild, i would give it the largest possible enclosure you can get.

well either way your not allowed [ legal wise] to keep it , so find out where those frogs are found and put it there ?

Mr Google says;

Southern Orange-eyed Treefrog
Litoria chloris

Identification:
The Southern Orange-eyed Treefrog is a medium-sized frog, growing to 68 mm. It is green with reddish-orange eyes. The limbs and sides are bright yellow and the hind edge of the thigh is purple.
Distribution:
Found from coastal mid-eastern Queensland to Sydney, New South Wales.
Habitat:
Lives in rainforests, wet sclerophyll forests and riparian zones.
Habits:
Spends most of its time in the trees but comes to the ground to breed.
Similar species:
This species is most similar to the Orange-thighed Treefrog (Litoria xanthomera) which has a different thigh colour. It can also be confused with the Graceful Treefrog (L. gracilenta) but this species has pale markings above the eyes that are not present in L. chloris

Looks like L. gracilenta, definetely not L.chloris

They are found in your area

What you have him in is ok for now except I would empty all the water out and replace it with a water bowl, also mist once a day.

If you are positive he isnt from your area then you will need to contact a frog rescue group, I'm not sure of the ones in your area, sorry

well either way your not allowed [ legal wise] to keep it , so find out where those frogs are found and put it there ?

If this frog was found on your property than you are allowed to keep it with another of the same species. You are allowed up to 8 frogs without licence but no more than 2 of each species.

When we got our new boat and my Dad found this little frog, I've ID him as a Southern Orange-Eyed Tree Frog. He definitely, 100000% did NOT come from our house/area. The only frogs here are tiny little things (sedge frog or something), the boat came from a Marina. But this is a new boat and people have been working on it over the last couple of days so there are no definite's as to where it came from.

I don't want to just release due to the possible effects on the local frogs and I'm not comfortable releasing him at said Marina, so are there any options? Other then keeping him (which I would like to do but he does belong in the wild). I wouldn't think any wildlife people would take him (suggested by mum) so set up Barry in this. I realise it's not adequate and tips would be helpful. I'm aware of the legalities of keeping him but not the penalty's so if someone would enlighten me on this I would appreciate it.

View attachment 240212View attachment 240213View attachment 240210View attachment 240211

What do I feed him? What is the cheapest set-up available?

Cheers

Crickets, woodies, grasshoppers, moths and insects that will easilly fit in his mouth. It would also be a good idea to dust with calcium supplements evey now and then.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I only say 'cheapest' because I'm low on funds and parents are bit sick of all the animals haha

If this frog was found on your property than you are allowed to keep it with another of the same species. You are allowed up to 8 frogs without licence but no more than 2 of each species.

Crickets, woodies, grasshoppers, moths and insects that will easilly fit in his mouth. It would also be a good idea to dust with calcium supplements evey now and then.

I was found on our property but not native, so to speak, to our property. Does this mean that I can keep him legally?

I have a woodie colony so all good there, I tried to give him a baby woodie but he hasn't taken it.

Thanks for all the replys and help

Last edited by a moderator:
It is gracilenta and they are very common in suburbia... Release it

so u can pretty well poach from the wild - well up to 8 frogs anyway?
just because u dont need a license for it , duznt mean its ok to catch and keep frogs .

It is gracilenta and they are very common in suburbia... Release it

It may be common in surburbia but it isn't common where I live on the coast

so u can pretty well poach from the wild - well up to 8 frogs anyway?
just because u dont need a license for it , duznt mean its ok to catch and keep frogs .

I didn't catch it from the wild, it was found in the lazarette of our new boat

We live on the coast/logan type area- we see these guys around our property, they are native here.

I used to live on the coast they are common there...

So long as you dont have a license you have every right to keep it and for those that want to talk about the law if you want to release it you must do so where you found it (in your yard). Relocation of frogs is a great way to transport diseases over distances a disease would normally not be able to travel. (it kills its host before it can get that far)

So legally your choices are let it go in your yard where you found it or keep it. Ethically if there is little chance of survival in your yard the best choice is probably to keep it.

Look at this for help http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/register/p00061aa.pdf

So long as you dont have a license you have every right to keep it and for those that want to talk about the law if you want to release it you must do so where you found it (in your yard). Relocation of frogs is a great way to transport diseases over distances a disease would normally not be able to travel. (it kills its host before it can get that far)

So legally your choices are let it go in your yard where you found it or keep it. Ethically if there is little chance of survival in your yard the best choice is probably to keep it.

Look at this for help http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/register/p00061aa.pdf

Thanks Damo. My brother and I both want to keep Barry for a couple reasons (my brother doesn't have a licsence)

1. He could easily get killed by our cats, wild birds etc.
2. He could affect the local frogs (not the same species)
3. In the 6yrs that we have lived on the coast we have never ever seen a Graceful Tree Frog, and we have a pond and everything. The pond at the park, which is 100m down the road, has heaps of little frogs none of which are Gracefuls, I can get a pic if need be.

What you do with him is really up to you, however he most likely did come from your yard or a neighbours property, L. gracilenta are difficult frogs to find at the best of times, and they often live high in the leaves of trees camoflaged very well during the day so there's a good chance that you'll find some more around if you look thorougly and in the right places ;)

When it rains again I'll go 'frogging' to see if I can find another Barry just in case, until then he'll stay in his enclosure (an exo terra) for the possible benefit of the local frogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back