Dreadlocks and large piercings.....just wondering...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grannieannie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
To those of you who have dreadlocks and large hole piercings I'm just wondering about a couple of things.

How are dreadlocks made ???? How long do they last ?

I've seen mostly young men with ear piercings, that are very large, the hole sometimes as large as a $1 coin. If sometime in the future, perhaps when you're my age, and you don't want a large hole in your ear anymore....have you thought what you'd do about it.....would you have the hole stitched up by a doctor, would you have the ear lobe cut to be very short....????

Just curious, these aren't fashions that appeal to me, but each to their own. I remember when my son was about 15...he's now almost 39....he got one of his ears pierced.....just in the old fashioned way...and his father threatened to throw him out of the house....funny when I look back on it now :) and he hasn't worn an earring for many years. My daughter ... aged 37 ... has a small stud in her nose and a couple of ordinary sized holes in each ear. I have an ordinary hole in each ear, so I'm not against piercings, just wondering about the current modern trend.

I have my ears stretched to 10mm, and generally up to that size if you were to take it out it will eventually close up to a hole the size of more regular jewelry.

I think the ear spacers are totally lame and a fashion "trend" that ended many years ago.
As for dreddies I have no problem with as long as they are kept clean and maintained.

BUT at the end of the day it is all art so it is up to the individual to be happy with it and that is all that matters.

2 of my ex's have had dreads.......they were real dreads that 'made' themself when they didnt brush their hair! To 'make' them though some people use surfboard wax.

As for piercings, just like tatts, i love them, & have a few. I dont personally have any big gaping holes though, nor do i intend to....how they could 'fix' that if they tired of it, i have no idea, some i have seen are huge! Im not really a massive fan on facial piercings on girls, although some small studs look ok.

I like dreads so long as they are well maintained and they don't stink.

Larger piercings are ok depending on where they are and what sort of hardware is used.

15mm stretchers, lips and septum (and others) pierced. I've had the stretchers and septum since I was 14 and I'm 20 now and still thinking about stretching my ears to over 20. I don't care what they look like when I'm old, chances are I'll look ugly and everything will head south by then anyway, might as well look cool :D

Dreads are made by a process called back-combing. It's similar to when girls tease their hair but you make it into individual dreads instead of making one big boof. I had them for about five years and they are harder to maintain than just about any "normal" hair style. Very painful to get done and to get maintained by a professional.
They last forever if you let them. Another thing is that the dead hair doesn't fall out like with normal people so that's why you can grow them much longer than normal hair. If you see someone with dreads down to their waist you can pretty much guarantee about the bottom third is entirely dead hair.
I've got stretchers but only 8mm. Just like tatts they're a personal decision and I don't think people should be judged by someone who thinks they know better for doing something to their own body

Last edited:
I've currently got dreads, had them for about 5 years. For me it was a natural progression from having extremely curly hair and a lack of options of what to do with it. I love them and can't imagine getting rid of them, but have had 3 friends get them and after a couple of years change back.

Saximus pretty much hit the nail on the head, they are definitely a lot more work than most hairstyles...and contrary to popular belief, yes, we do wash them. Apart from having to be picky with what shampoo you use, it just means that they take forever to dry. So you either buy a good hairdrier, or aim for a sunny day. Mine took around 12hrs over 2 days to make, mate of mine got his done by the best professional I know and it took about 3hrs but cost him around $500.

Ultimately though, there are quite a few methods for making dreads and a lot of it comes down to your hair style. For instance, i've avoided ever using wax in my dreads, but can only do that because of my hair type. What most people don't see is the hours put in with a crotchet hook meticulously reinserting stray hairs back in to the appropriate dread. 'Neglect' dreads (Accidental) as they are generally known put a pretty bad reputation on it for the rest of us.

It is possible with enough time and certain products to remove your dreads and still have somewhat long hair, but it's not worth it for most, although I know a few women who have gone that path. Personally i'll do 'shave for a cure' when I want to get rid of mine. Certainly nothing permanent about dreads, and they may be a lot of work, but they have had an amazingly unexpected impact on my life.

To those of you who have dreadlocks and large hole piercings I'm just wondering about a couple of things.

How are dreadlocks made ???? How long do they last ?

I've seen mostly young men with ear piercings, that are very large, the hole sometimes as large as a $1 coin. If sometime in the future, perhaps when you're my age, and you don't want a large hole in your ear anymore....have you thought what you'd do about it.....would you have the hole stitched up by a doctor, would you have the ear lobe cut to be very short....????

Just curious, these aren't fashions that appeal to me, but each to their own. I remember when my son was about 15...he's now almost 39....he got one of his ears pierced.....just in the old fashioned way...and his father threatened to throw him out of the house....funny when I look back on it now :) and he hasn't worn an earring for many years. My daughter ... aged 37 ... has a small stud in her nose and a couple of ordinary sized holes in each ear. I have an ordinary hole in each ear, so I'm not against piercings, just wondering about the current modern trend.

I have large holes in my ears , around an inch and a bit in diameter that I stretched myself over 5-6 years. if I take them out after 10 or so years they will go back to almost normal but there will always be a small hole there.

Some people do get them stitched up and some people get them cut off, some people keep them for ever,I get more people freak out about my ears that anything else.. and half my face is covered in blue tattoos.

I did mine to see what they where like , and liked them and am very happy with the way I look ( I'm in my mid 30s).

Also 90% of people who see me couldn't care less about my ears or blueness.. it's no big deal ( I work normal boring retail,haha)

39daf667.jpg

Edit: oh no..... my ears are "sad" and a "trend" lol tell that to the eastern world,lol

Better pic:
919a78af.jpg

Last edited:
After a shaved head for 10 years Im in the process of growing my hair out for dreds .

'Neglect' dreads (Accidental) as they are generally known put a pretty bad reputation on it for the rest of us.

Why? The only diff between my exes dreads & those that get them 'professionally' done is that they didnt have to pay for them! Yes, while some are not kept well, some professional ones end up looking crap aswell. So long as they maintain them as others do they look exactly the same! One of my exes was offered $500 for his, which he kindly refused & then went on to raise almost $20000 for Shave for a cure the following year.

Scleropages that is some serious tattooing...I like it! Never seen any done inside the ear before. I bet it hurt but I reckon it was worth it. And the stretchers to match the colour is pretty neat. I think what you've done is definitely art as a pose to 'trend'. Dying to get a tattoo myself but my pain tolerance is incredibly low :( How long did it take all up for the tattoo/s to be finished and do they ever need touching up?

I don't like pain, tats arnt that bad.
All tattoos fade with UV and the body brakes down the ink with age some colors more than others, my tats will never be "finished"....
Me girly ear rings are Blue Amazonite from Brazil , cause I breed amazonian fishes and like blue (funny that) I also can't wear metal.

I have large holes in my ears , around an inch and a bit in diameter that I stretched myself over 5-6 years. if I take them out after 10 or so years they will go back to almost normal but there will always be a small hole there.

Some people do get them stitched up and some people get them cut off, some people keep them for ever,I get more people freak out about my ears that anything else.. and half my face is covered in blue tattoos.

I did mine to see what they where like , and liked them and am very happy with the way I look ( I'm in my mid 30s).

Also 90% of people who see me couldn't care less about my ears or blueness.. it's no big deal ( I work normal boring retail,haha)

39daf667.jpg

Edit: oh no..... my ears are "sad" and a "trend" lol tell that to the eastern world,lol

Better pic:
919a78af.jpg

It was actually the photo I saw of you holding the snake that made me think of starting this thread, it was then I noticed your ears. Thank you for posting a close up of your tattoos. To get your ears holes so large, do you start with a normal sized hole and just keep adding larger and larger rings ???
Where did you get the idea of the design for your tattoo and is there a particular reason why you chose blue ?? I'm just very curious about such things.....and do you have tattoos on other parts of your body...you don't have to say where...just wondering and do you intend to get more?

Yeh and where do you work exactly? I work in retail too but I've been called 'ugly' by a customer for having just stretchers. Pfft, she's lucky she didn't see all the others, she would have had a heart attack. So I basically keep all my tattoos and piercings covered at work because I don't have the decency to not insult a customer if they insulted me.

And another question, How much are you worth? :) as in how much did all that work cost all up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back