Dreadlocks and large piercings.....just wondering...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grannieannie...next time you feel the urge to ask someone just do it, you'll be glad you did. :)

Agreed. "Moded" people are just like everyone else. Be friendly and respectful and you'll generally find then to be friendly and respectful back

RASTA! I've had my dreadlocks for 24yrs plus. Am not a devout follower of the Rastafarian faith but do love reggae music with a passion. My solution for drying my dreadlocks is after washing them at my work I hang them out the window for the 40minute drive home, yeah you guessed it I get a few looks. Can't find a pic but "locks" pushing the 4foot mark. My pet hate is "how do you wash your hair" in which I respond "how do you wipe your ar.e!" To my knowledge there's only 1 way to do both-gets them everytime. Those who went to the recent Vic Expo would had of seen me-the bloke with the GETAREALDOG T-shirt & long dreadlocks-JAH RASTAFARI!

My son and his wife both have tattoos and my daughter does too. My daughter has a beautiful unicorn on her right ankle and recently had a peace sign in the form of leaves put on the top of her arm. I don't like that one so much. My son has a two bladed propeller across his back. His new wife (2nd wife of 1 yr) has a lot of tattoos, all on her back and down one thigh and leg....beautiful designs. But they all live in other states from me, so I don't get the opportunity to talk to them much. It's not the tattoos that I was most curious about, but the large hole piercings. I'm afraid if I was to approach people they might just think I'm a silly old fashioned woman who may be going to have a go at them....and of course I'm not.

I got a labret piercing recently. Was suppose to be a xmas presant for my daughter but her hubby didn't want her to get it. The piercer (very heavily pierced and tattooed) came in that day for us so I had it done instead. Always liked the look and didn't want to waste his time. Have one ear pierced at top and the smallest stretch in each ear because I like the simple silver earings that never come out and are comfortable to sleep in. Tried to stretch them but it hurt and have enquired about dermal punch but they are permanent. I have 7 small tattoos, first one at 51. I always ask people about their body art and if I can have a closer look but will also comment if someones outfit, hair, whatever, looks lovely, cool or.........two ladies in particular their faces lighting up and one said I made her day. One lady had a large lotus across her chest, I commented on how lovely it looked, she was on her way to have it touched up from fading. Her and her two young daughters wore goth looking type clothes (not sure of the name of the look) they really stood out and people were staring, they looked pretty cool, I admire people who do what they want and don't worry about what others think. She had a lovely aura about her.

Grannieannie...next time you feel the urge to ask someone just do it, you'll be glad you did. :)

I used to have four dermals on my chest for my formal. I'd recommend them and they're not that painful at all. You only have to get them surgically removed if you get the permanent instead of semi permanent, which is what I had. The permanent ones have holes in the hook so that the skin grows through the holes, which is why you have to cut them out. But the semi-permanent ones are just a flat hook, they have more chance of growing out but they're not as painful to get cut out and the scarring would be nowhere near as bad :)

I used to have four dermals on my chest for my formal. I'd recommend them and they're not that painful at all. You only have to get them surgically removed if you get the permanent instead of semi permanent, which is what I had. The permanent ones have holes in the hook so that the skin grows through the holes, which is why you have to cut them out. But the semi-permanent ones are just a flat hook, they have more chance of growing out but they're not as painful to get cut out and the scarring would be nowhere near as bad :)

I wouldn't say surgically removed...

I had them back in 08, and after a year of them, I got into a fight with an ex, somehow one got half ripped out...sooo...with my piercer in another state, and my doctor unable to do anything for a few days, I ripped the rest out.
I then when to QLD to have my piercer cut out the second, you'd think it'd be a nastier process than it is. They just get a needle with a little blade on the end, stick it in the hole, and cut the connections of skin through the hole and pull it out, almost painless surprisingly.
I'm not sure if that's what you mean by surgical, or if you meant something more graphic...though I guess I can understand how that could be deemed "surgical".

The scars are next too nothing, infact my divers left bigger ones despite being considerably smaller and not having holes for anchoring...granted I ripped them out myself too...not much patience on me lol.

Last edited:
Why? The only diff between my exes dreads & those that get them 'professionally' done is that they didnt have to pay for them! Yes, while some are not kept well, some professional ones end up looking crap aswell. So long as they maintain them as others do they look exactly the same! One of my exes was offered $500 for his, which he kindly refused & then went on to raise almost $20000 for Shave for a cure the following year.

If you're maintaining them then I wouldn't call them neglect dreads. Also agree, i've seen some terrible professional ones. There are a lot of things people don't consider the first time they get dreads, and the person who does them is a huge factor.

I have 25mm ear plugs.
When i'm old i'll more likely be worried about age related illness and my superannuation running out.
Same goes for tattoos.

First I want to say, great thread.
It's not that often of APS that we get everyone happily speaking about a subject...although we all seem to be in agreeance.
There's so many people I wan to quote the reply would be a pain, so I'll try to go by memory (and miss a few)

Scleorpages: 30k? Mass respect mate. I know the prices and can easily see where it goes. A question though, does all the blue affect your camera? I'd love to study and see all your art, but all pics of you seem to be slightly out of focus. :D

Miss_Mosher: Sound cool, when do we get to see some of your mods? I don't know anything implants but am curious.

Fiamma: You took a Labrette piercing for your daughter. You rock, you're son in law sounds like a douche (I don't really mean that, it's not for everyone...or their wives)

Grannie: I just wish more young ladies like yourself were more open minded. I love talking about my tats, and (as long as it's genuine interest) love talking to strangers who ask. By the responses of most here, I'd say you a good chance of getting a friendly response if you asked a stranger.

I'm currently at 5k and am out of money. Still saving to continue my amazon.

It's not that often of APS that we get everyone happily speaking about a subject...although we all seem to be in agreeance.
There's so many people I wan to quote the reply would be a pain, so I'll try to go by memory (and miss a few)

Scleorpages: 30k? Mass respect mate. I know the prices and can easily see where it goes. A question though, does all the blue affect your camera? I'd love to study and see all your art, but all pics of you seem to be slightly out of focus. :D

Miss_Mosher: Sound cool, when do we get to see some of your mods? I don't know anything implants but am curious.

Fiamma: You took a Labrette piercing for your daughter. You rock, you're son in law sounds like a douche (I don't really mean that, it's not for everyone...or their wives)

Grannie: I just wish more young ladies like yourself were more open minded. I love talking about my tats, and (as long as it's genuine interest) love talking to strangers who ask. By the responses of most here, I'd say you a good chance of getting a friendly response if you asked a stranger.

Thank you for your comments Chewy :) I particularly liked the part where you referred to me as... YOUNG !! :lol:

I am a live and let live kinda gal ;) I personally only have tatts and nose/normal ear piercings. I wouldnt personally get large ear piercings or dreadies and kinda think they suit some but not others.... But then I listen to the voices in my head"beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and I back the truck up and appreciate the uniqueness of peoples :)

20mm holes are cool. I have seen dudes with holes in their ears that must be 80 - 100 mm. Enough to stick a can of baked beans in there. Crazy!! That I don't get!!

There's actually a group of women in an African tribe and they put large clay plates in their bottom lips. Apparently to the men it makes them very attractive. I saw a doco on them a couple of years ago and they also interviewed a couple of young tribal women who refused to have it done to them, they just didn't like it. And let's not forget the tribes that put the rings around their necks and in days gone by the binding of womens feet in Japan. All fashion trends at the time.

I'll try dig some pictures out of the dermals and I'll try catch a picture of me and my partner and upload them ASAP :)

The only large piercing I have had was when my idiot mate jagged me with a Barra Clasic lure in the shoulder when out fishing!

i have eleven peircings, no tats (yet) have four in one ear five in the other nose and navel, i would like more but i havent seen any i like, i think the small stretchers look nice but not so keen on the big ones.

To upload pictures or PM? I'm not sure I'm a fan of putting personal pictures on a public forum, I haven't been on this long so I'm not sure what a response will be. Lol

Everyone loves to see pics. It gives you an idea of who we're talking to instead of just an avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back