"Huffing" type breathing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_lover83

Reaction score
Hey guys

Apologies for seeming a little clueless but I'm not a vet and just thought I'd ask for any similar stories before I contact my vet.
My 2yr old Murray darling carpet python seems to be making a huffing/hissing sound as he exhales but only whilst he's constricting in a fashion (whether it be prey or if he's just chilling out around my arm or neck just holding on).
My mates 3yr old diamond python does the same thing and we initially thought he was hissing but he's in no way angry or defensive.
Both snakes seem otherwise very healthy - they're great eaters, shedders, lovely to handle and are very well cared for.
Could this be a respiratory issue and I should see a vet or is this something normal and I should leave it be?
Your help is appreciated

I had an adult md that would hiss and he was not once aggressive towards anything but I have never had a python with a respiroty infection so unsure what that sounds like, has there been excessive moisture in its enclosure

No not at all - not in either enclosure. Neither are aggresive and like I said, it's only when they exhale when wrapped up tightly

They do it when they breath sometimes. Nothing to worry about unless it's accompanied by excessive yawning, drool and mucous and whistling noises. They will also do it while coming up for a shed.

Edit: Why do you have two threads on the same topic made an hour apart? >.>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back