Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_lover83

Reaction score
Hey guys
I'm sorry if those who read this know what this is any think I'm being ignorant - I'd just rather ask some advise before I head straight to the vet.
I have a 2yr old Murray Darling Carpet python who makes a hissing/huffing sound when he exhales whilst costricting something (whether it be food or simply holding onto my arm etc). When he is on me and simply holding on and this noise occurs, he is not in any way aggressive or threatened and it seems to be a breathing thing.
My mate has a 3yr old diamond python who does exactly the same thing and we did initially think he was hissing but we could see by his temperament that he wasn't.
Both snakes are very friendly, great eaters and shedders, easy to handle and very well looked after.
I have heard that snakes can have respitory issues but if anyone has had or heard of similar symptoms and can tell me if this is a normal thing or I should be getting these guys to the vet, that would be great.
Thank you in advance for your help :)

Hissing or wheezing is usually a sign of respiratory issues, although there can be other reasons as well. Sometimes snakes approaching shed can sound like they are hissing when they breathe due to loose skin in the nostril. Sometimes, while eating they can have a whistling noise. Some humid area snakes can wheeze due to being in too dry an enclosure.
I would advise asking someone experienced to make the judgement (either a good reptile vet or good breeder) because it could be any of those things, however, if you are dealing with a respiratory problem you need to act fast!

Thanks so much for the advise. I think I shall take him to a vet just in case. Like I said, neither are off their food (and they both go off when they are near shedding). This certainly hasn't been a recent thing and both seem happy but better to be safe than sorry!

This sounds perfectly normal to me.

Some of my very friendly pythons do it. Just because there friendly, doesn't mean they don't freak out. Plus they breath heavier while constricting anyway.

Sounds normal to me to, I have a bredli who does the same but only when constricting when he is on me or feeding other then that he doesn't make that wheezing sound. He has never been aggressive or anything ether do I would say it sounds normal.

Ok so it's normal when they constrict (being that they're also tightening their air ways)?
I'm going to the show on Sunday - maybe someone there might know?

Ok so it's normal when they constrict (being that they're also tightening their air ways)?
I'm going to the show on Sunday - maybe someone there might know?

Yes, it's perfectly normal.

If it's wheezing (not huffing/puffing) all the time (not just constricted) and/or you see exces saliva, blowing bubbles from nose. Then it's a respiratory infection. But what you have described is perfectly normal.

my MD does it all the time, so does my bothers blackhead.
to me, you MD is perfectly normal by the sound of it.
in my opinion, you have a beautiful boy who has no prolem what so ever.

Go the MD's!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back