never underestimate a snake... large fall

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brisbaneboy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i had got quite complacent about letting my snakes sit on the curtain rod for hours, of course with the curtain rolled up so the couldn't shimmy down how ever my girl much to my surprise showed me tonight that a power line outside which is a meter and a half above the window was no trouble for her to get to i didn't notice she had disappeared for a while and when i did she was half way across the road on the power line. i freaked out grabbed a ladder and a broom and was trying to get her to climb onto the broom however she didn't want to as there is 2 different main power poles that lead in all directions i couldn't let her get to them i had no way of getting higher and no other poles to try and get her off with i did what i probably shouldn't have done i know alot of you will think i am cruel but i couldnt let her get to the main pole. i tried to knock her off the power line, first try she almost come off but still held on second time she came off hit my waiting arms and slid through hitting the ground by this time i had 2 cars watching one guy holding the ladder and cars beeping at me as they drove past i have been watching her for the last few hours as im scared she may have hurt herself with the fall as it was quite high but she seems fine i have learnt a big lesson 2nite that u can absolutely never trust them never to find some way to try and get away.are there any signs i should be watching for other than unusual behavior please don't flame me for this as i already feel extraordinary bad

she also is extremely angry with me has tagged 6 times since

Last edited:
I'd be taking her too the vet for an xray...falling that high onto solid road would be rough...if she's being super defensive too perhaps she's not feeling too great...could just be tender from bruising, but not worth risking unnoticed bone or organ damage in my opinion.

I know they'd fall from trees in the wild...but not onto a rock solid road, that's what would worry me

i was thinking to take her to the vet tommorow as night vets are way too expensive and it nearly impossible to find one who knows anything about snakes, you wouldnt by any chance know how much an xray will cost as ill probably have borrow off a friend until i get paid on monday

I have no idea I'm sorry...never needed a pet xrayed, just myself!

If you look at the wiki section for vets it might help you find a better one for when you can take her,
Hope all goes well, let us know.

If you go to google, and type in "site:aussiepythons.com xray price"
(but remove the quote marks) it'll search this site and you might find an answer...you can change the search phrase as you wish too

You left your snake on a curtain rod next to an open window, where it was able to climb onto a powerline. Then instead of monitoring the snake until it decided to come down, you decided to knock her off and catch her whilst balancing on a ladder in the middle of a road with only one free hand to catch the snake (you mentioned you knocked her off with a pole)?

I'm sorry, I know that's a horrible thing to happen to your snake and you, but man I lol'd....

i have learnt a big lesson 2nite that u can absolutely never trust them never to find some way to try and get away

You make it sound as if she had gone to some extraordinary lengths to escape. You had her next to an open window... I dunno about never trusting snakes, but never trusting certain people seems to be a wise rule to follow.

Last edited:
i hope your snake will be fine , but u never ever EVER leave a snake of any size unsupervised as its just asking for trouble .

You took the word right out of my mouth!
(& im pretty sure you havent been kissing me :p)

Who'd have thought a snake would go out an open window if given the chance......:?

In all seriousness though, i really hope your girl is ok, make sure you get her to a vet for xrays as mentioned.

Don't beat yourself up too much, everybody does things they regret and with hind sight they would have never done it. Put down as a hard lesson to learn, hope all will be well with your snake.
By the way it is much better to learn from other peoples mistakes, thanks for sharing.

had her into the vet today has had xrays and nothing broken or damaged the guys at the vet i went to said she would have some bruising but that should be it and just to keep an eye on her.

the window in question has absolutely nothing around it except the power line that goes from the house to the main power line as i am pretty sure that some of the wires on those lines are live i couldn't let her make her way across the road so just monitoring her would have not been a option i had one other guy who lives next door helping me but other than knocking her off the only option would have been to give up.

i have had my snakes on the curtain rod before and they have quite happily sat there for hours while i did stuff around the house i now know that there is no safe place for them to sit out of their cage

If I was silly enough to do this, I would never post it on APS.

had her into the vet today has had xrays and nothing broken or damaged the guys at the vet i went to said she would have some bruising but that should be it and just to keep an eye on her.

the window in question has absolutely nothing around it except the power line that goes from the house to the main power line as i am pretty sure that some of the wires on those lines are live i couldn't let her make her way across the road so just monitoring her would have not been a option i had one other guy who lives next door helping me but other than knocking her off the only option would have been to give up.

i have had my snakes on the curtain rod before and they have quite happily sat there for hours while i did stuff around the house i now know that there is no safe place for them to sit out of their cage

Dude, the powerline goes straight to the walls of buildings, did it never occur to you that it was a possibility that a snake may poke its head out of the window, see the line and decide to go for a wander? It's just common sense to shut the window...

It's good that the snake will recover and no serious injuries resulted from something that could have been prevented by anyone with half a brain.

I'm sorry, I couldnt help laughing as I see a funny side to most things...... However, It could've been catastrophic on a few levels. I am just glad your both OK ... I actually think your pretty brave for posting the event on here :p
Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back