DSLR lens questions!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tassie97

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hi
I have a Sony a390 DSLR and I want a lens that will zoom like really far could someone recommend one?

I don't know much about lenses do all lenses fit all cameras?
or do i need a Sony lens for my Sony camera?!
its all very confusing lol
thankyou!

Unfortunately most fittings are camera specific - however, there's always adapters. For example, I have an adapter that fits (I think) Olympus OM lenses onto my Olympus current Oly. Not sure what other ones it fits - but there's certainly a larger range.

I lose all automatic functions though with the adapter.

The adapter itself was only around $50 and quality of photo isn't limited by the adapter.

However - a decent zoom comes with other issues - cost for one... Despite this, I bought a 1600mm lens (yep - HUGE thing) for not very much cost at all - which is why I got the adapter. I hardly use it. Because with that zoom you need plenty of light.

However, the photos I have of the moon from it are pretty awesome!
fp,375x360,black,off_white,box20,l,ffffff.jpg

Hey Tassie, I know nothing about "mirror lenses" but did some googling and found a review Sony 500mm f/8 Relex Lens

It seems there are some draw-backs, and some benefits to this system. The fixed aperture could be quite annoying, but the light weight and small size would be great. If your camera has the built in image stabilisation, then you might be in luck. Do your research before you buy, this is a restrictive product, but *might* be useful to you depending on your intended use and style of shooting.

yer like wedge tailed eagles also like sport photos?

You will need fast lenses for most sports pics... a 2.8 would be great. Unfortunately speed comes at a cost.

When I was looking for a long lens I wanted the sigma APO 120-400, unfortunately it is only a 5.6 at full stretch. On the Nikon DX sensors the 400mm turns into a 600mm focal length due to the DX crop. Fairly long reach, might be worth checking out if they have it in a sony mount. Theres also the sigma 150-500 but that's a big mother of a lens and you'll definitely need a tripod/monopod for it unless shooting on very high light.

I shot this with a 300mm lens (testing it out from the backyard)

93f6576f.jpg

Crop
eb12a8a5.jpg

The crop still gave me a decent image judging despite only being a 300mm, I shot that hand held and not on a tripod as well. It's a bit over exposed though I would have gotten more detail If I had controlled the exposure more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back