Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recieved a reply the other day from my MP.

Good Day Andrew,

Your inquiry to me was initially forwarded to our Shadow Minister for the Environment, Hon Dr Sally Talbot MLC, who is closely monitoring the Minister for Environment and his actions, or otherwise, on this issue. In addition I have now written a Question on Notice for the Minister, a copy of which is attached, and I will get back to you as soon as I have his response.

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention and please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further assistance.

Yours sincerely,

TOM STEPHENS JP MLA

Member for Pilbara

Further to this he has put forward a question on Notice for the minister at the next legislative assembly on November 2. In this he is asking
1) What reasons has your Department given for maintaining a minimal list of species allowed for keeping in comparison to other states of Australia?
2) What reason does your Department have for insisting that animal sales go through a registered dealer rather than allowing personal transactions that are recorded on an annual return as in other states of Australia?
3) What reasons does your Department give for the extremely high cost of keepers’ licences in comparison to other states of Australia?

It will be interesting to hear the reply.

Andrew
That will be interesting indeed :)

we need to put together some comparison stuff like the native bird thing.

I told you this Sally was our best bet. She had Tina O'Connor | Research Officer send me this e-mail and attached question-time transcript.

[FONT=&amp]Dear Ms ************,[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Sally Talbot has asked me to advise you that yesterday she asked a question in Parliament regarding a review of the pet herpetofauna list. The question and response is attached for your information.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Kind regards, Tina[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Tina O'Connor | Research Officer[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Hon Dr Sally Talbot MLC Member for South West Region[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Shadow Minister for Environment; Climate Change; Indigenous Affairs; Lands; Youth[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] #######################################################################

Question-time transcript:

[/FONT]
Extract from uncorrected Hansard

[COUNCIL — Wednesday, 2 November 2011]
p24d-25a
Hon Dr Sally Talbot; Hon Helen Morton

REPTILES — CONSERVATION

Hon SALLY TALBOT to the minister representing the Minister for Environment:
I refer to the Wildlife Conservation Act 1950 and the Wildlife Conservation (Reptiles and Amphibians)
Regulation 2002.

(1)
When was the species list declared to be herpetofauna last reviewed?
(2)
Is the Department of Environment and Conservation planning another review of the species list?
(3)
If no to (2), why not?
(4)
If yes to (2), will reptile enthusiasts, the West Australian Herpetological Society, scientists and wildlife
conservation experts be invited to participate in the review?

Hon HELEN MORTON replied:

I am just practising the word “herpetologists”! I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question.

(1)–(4)
On 18 November 2010, the Department of Environment and Conservation received a request in a letter
from the West Australian Herpetological Society to review the reptile and amphibian keeping list. DEC
has agreed to consider a proposition for the addition of up to six new species. There have been further
discussions between DEC and the society since that date but DEC has not received any further
submissions from the society on its highest priority species for consideration.

[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

It's so infuriating that the DEC still refuses to give all the truth, or even just all the information. The fact that they leave the bits out that make them look bad and make it sound as though we're just ungrateful for this wonderful thing they're doing for us and we're asking so much of them because we have a long enough list and they're doing us a favour by letting us choose a whole six animals to add to it despite their worry that poachers will use this to their advantage...it really sickens me that these people still have a job :(

PS I still haven't received anything from the Shadow minister :(

Whoops I lie, got the same response as the above :)

Last edited:
I have nothing back guess we can't all have replies hopefully it's a huge list of people bugging them on this.

they will allow 6 additions that's it sorry but that's an insult, I guess they won't do anything about reviewing their costs in any way either

.....77% only keep the 1 species, if they had more options on the list maybe it would be more eh

I have nothing back guess we can't all have replies hopefully it's a huge list of people bugging them on this.

they will allow 6 additions that's it sorry but that's an insult, I guess they won't do anything about reviewing their costs in any way either

.....77% only keep the 1 species, if they had more options on the list maybe it would be more eh

Yeah I cant believe they used that reason to justify not adding more species, where is their logic?

As most know there are only 2 snakes on our category 3 license, Antaresia Stimsoni & Morelia Spilota Imbricata, in order to get our cat' 4 license we must have a cat 3 animal for a year and have it not escape/die/etc.
And guess what, we get another 2 choices once we have our cat 4, BHP's and Woma's.

So all I can really say is no **** 77% of people only keep the "1 species" -_-

Ok guys time to bump it up again :)Just sent a HUGE email to Tina O'Connor (who sent me the reply from Sally's Parliament time) and Sally Talbot hopefully they still have some sway in this and can help us get to where we should have been years ago!

will send one soon , i would like more options want a roughie and i think the top 5 are :
Water Python
Rough-Scaled Python
Pygmy Python
Brown Tree Snale
North West Carpet Python
Egernia Depressa - Pygmy Spiny Tailed Skink

as i have talked to someone about this topic and sent in a full list that could be added with the 25 species we are aloud !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back