Heating and lamps queerie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Decoy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was heating my terrarium with a 'Reptile One' 75W bulb until it blew yesterday. I have seen some posts here in the past that suggest that these heating bulbs are just the same as the bulbs from the supermarket - so I replaced it with a 60W Halogen Spot bulb from the supermarket. It seems to heat the basking rock fine - I've not been able to accurately measure the temp as my thermometer has also decided to kick the bucket - but it feels about right and I feel it will do until the weekend when i can purchase some new gear.

So, I get home tonight and my little beardie has skin peeling off on her back. Now she was shedding last week - but had stopped and i thought had finished... although I don't remember seeing any come from her back. I'm wondering if perhaps the bulb had burned her? I can't see how it could as it's actually a lower wattage than the last one... but you know how you worried about those the little buggers. Anyone have any opinions or information on any of the above?

Cheers!

unless the beardie can touch the globe with its back , then i doubt that it would have burnt the beardie .

If it could burn itself on the new globe it could just have easily burnt itself on the "fancy" one so if it never burnt itself before there's no reason to think it has now

yes, I have a thermostat up the cooler end - but I've fixed it to the terrarium, and the one I use to monitor the heated area has just broken.

Thye always break at the worst of times! lol. Mine just crapped itself too!

Lucky for me i am home 90% of the time so i can monitor the heat via thermometers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back