What to buy?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I get?

• Hold out in case I get enough for an adult albino.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Settle for a het Darwin to attempt to breed with my current female.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Get a 'special', uncommon snake.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Buy a cheap pair, stimmies, spotteds etc. and breed this season, for very little profit if any.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Athenry

Reaction score
My plan was to get an albino Darwin male to breed with my het female. She's 2.5 years and will hopefully be breeding size for this season. But it's still a guess whether she'll be fit to breed or not.

But then a payment I was relying on for the albino looks like if it will come, it wont be until June. So if I'm lucky I'll probably only have $500-$700 for a new snake. I was considering getting another het to breed with her, but there's still the chance she wont breed anyway. And there will be so few albinos in the hatchlings that it wont really net me any profit.

The reason why I want albinos, aside from the benefit of making a fraction of my money back, is so that I can have a 'special' snake. There have been so many new snakes introduced into mainstream keeping recently, I like to call them 'elitist'; Jags, RP's, Hypos, RSP's, blue tree snakes, GTP's, slatey greys etc. That's the kind of snake I want, although I still can't decide which one.

But at the same time, I still want to breed this year. There is so much I want but I can't even get half of it.

So basically I'm trying to decide on the options in the poll. Can anyone help with suggestions?

And, if I was to get a 'special' snake, what should I be looking at in my price range?

Last edited:
I'd suggest if you are that un-financial you're better off not buying anything at all and keeping the money in the bank - you'll need to feed, house and possibly pay for vet bills in the future (as well as pay for heating), so if your sitting that close to the poverty line you'd be better of saving my tax dollars.

I'd suggest if you are that un-financial you're better off not buying anything at all and keeping the money in the bank - you'll need to feed, house and possibly pay for vet bills in the future (as well as pay for heating), so if your sitting that close to the poverty line you'd be better of saving my tax dollars.

That's not what I meant. After the cost of everything else I need; enclosure etc. that is how much I will have to spend on the actual reptile. I only work part time, but getting about $250/week excess money after bills etc. will be enough to cover any feeding/vet costs.

Also, no need to be so condescending. I work hard for my money and pay tax, as well as being a full-time University student. And I receive no welfare payments, your assumption was completely unjustified. At least I have the empathy to realize that people that are in poverty and receiving Centrelink benefits genuinely need them, a lot of the time for situations outside of their control.

Is this because you see so many reptile breeders driving around in there mercs.if your looking to make money I suggest another path.there's a lot of time and money just getting established.

you dont need to explain to arrogant people .
i totally agree kinda sick of them on this site hahaha

my suggestions are stepping into breeding u will always be able to find the snake u want there is plenty out there so making profit will only be beneficial to u but thats my opinion otheres may think otherwise :)

At least I have the empathy to realize that people that are in poverty and receiving Centrelink benefits genuinely need them, a lot of the time for situations outside of their control.

The best part of this country is the fact we have access to a world class education system at very little cost, anyone who wants to change their situation can they just need to put in the hard work to get there.

you can get hatcho Albino carpets for $500 this season. Just shop around and you will find plenty in your budget......

The best part of this country is the fact we have access to a world class education system at very little cost, anyone who wants to change their situation can they just need to put in the hard work to get there.

Very little cost? Yeah, I guess you don't have a $50,000+ debt with the government because of our incredible education system.

Learning can't fix everyone's situation. The disabled, war veterans, carers that look after the disabled because the government can't, students trying to improve their situation that can't work full-time, the old-aged, people suffering because of natural disasters, the widowed. Learning can't just magically cure them of their situation. That is what your tax dollars go towards.

Anyway, now that I have explained that I'm not just $700 above the poverty line. We may as well get back to the topic.

i totally agree kinda sick of them on this site hahaha

my suggestions are stepping into breeding u will always be able to find the snake u want there is plenty out there so making profit will only be beneficial to u but thats my opinion otheres may think otherwise :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll continue to look at some of the pairs available. I think it could be a problem to sell the hatchlings though, for snakes that are so common such as Childreni, wouldn't you have to drop the price quite a bit to be able to sell them at all?

you can get hatcho Albino carpets for $500 this season. Just shop around and you will find plenty in your budget......

That's fantastic, I will have a look. I haven't seen any under $800 yet though.

Last edited:
which is why he had explained SOMETIMES OUT OF THEIR CONTROL and the question was never about who earns centrelink or not it was abouyt what he would like to do next so i believe this is going off track a little and the comment section gets abused a little to often

Athenry in reply to your last comment: Last time I checked most of those people get additional training benefits and access to many additional training programs, no doubt there is exceptions to this and those people need additional support but generally a $1000 tafe diploma (which most unemployed people get for free) will get a job paying 50K + these days, In life you can be be victim or you can do something to better your own life.

Anyway back on topic buy a proven het save the cash if you can afford it.

Last edited:
Last time I checked most of those people get additional training benefits and access to many additional training programs, no doubt there is exceptions to this and those people need additional support but generally a $1000 tafe diploma (which most unemployed people get for free) will get a job paying 50K + these days, In life you can be be victim or you can do something to better your own life.

I dont know how this thread became about unemployed people and any benefits they may have or not have, but i think you are being very rude to the OP.

I dont know how this thread became about unemployed people and any benefits they may have or not have, but i think you are being very rude to the OP.

No rudeness ment at all just heathy conversation, I think some times people forget about additional costs that can be incurred, the OP has said he given consideration to those costs so I give him credit for that.

Last edited:
Ohhhh I am all for the going for "something different" I like albino's etc BUT I also like different snakes :) I think RSP's are wicked(in a good way) and those little doll eyed brown tree snakes too :) I think it's fantastic you've got some spare $ to spend on reptiles :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back