Could this enclosure be considered TOO big for a Woma???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptalica

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if this enclosure by Reptile One, called the Serpens 200 a dedicated snake enclosure would be definately too big for a soon to be acquired Woma??

Now before I get "shot down in flames" I know that practically it's probably not the most ideal enclosure for a Woma as they are terrestrial snakes, not tree climbers. However, and I repeat however, the minister for finance is adamant that if one is to come into the house the enclosure needs to be a "feature" and aesthetically this one looks the goods.

What I would like to know is :

Are there going to be any foreseeable problems housing a Woma in one of these i.e. heating? glass surrounding panels? ability to light?

I have seen one of these at the Diamond Valley Garden Centre in Yan Yean/Yarrambat which houses a massive carpet python.

Thanks again for any advice peeps.

snake-house.jpg

Hey reptalica (cool name)

People are going to ask how big your woma is... I don't know much about womas but I have a blackhead and they really don't use the upper space, however if the bottom space is large for the time being for a smaller snake i'm sure their wouldn't be a problem as long as it has a appropriate hide ect. My blackhead loves his heat mat, but they love to bask to, so as long as there was a heat lamp of some description and most defiantly a thermostat, and the snake has somehwere to escape the human view and feel safe, im sure he will be fine!

This is all I can give. I'm sure you will get people who know much more than me!

You might want to post dimensions of enclosure as well as size of your woma.

imo i would go for less hight as womas realy spend most of the time on the ground, and it isent nessary to have such a high inclosure.

With heating, it really depends on how you are planning to heat the said woma.

Dimensions would be good... I would say not any less than 4ft width for a woma.

Aesthetically, I don't think it would be that great for a woma because the majority of the enclosure isn't going to be used. I would say keep looking, I am sure you will come across a more feature orientated enclosure more suited for a woma.

Thanks all for the replies. The dimensions of this baby are : 1800mm tall x 900 wide x 900 deep.

Tree Hugger - Woma not purchased as yet - more likely a juvi to start off with.

Great enclosure for a carpet!

You need to understand the difference between terrestrial and arboreal snakes. Womas and Black-headed Pythons are adept at climbing through or over fallen timber and up boulders and rock faces as required. However, they do not climb trees or along branches or perch themselves at any distance from the ground. They are terrestrial animals. It is important to have some natural furnishings over which these snakes can crawl. Beyond that, elevation is not only unnecessary but won't be used.

There are a few different formulae around for calculating cage size for snakes. Probably the commonest is that for terrestrial snakes the width should be at least ¾ as long as the snake and the depth should at least ½ as long and a minimum of 300 mm height. I prefer a simpler rule – the length of the two longest dimensions should be roughly equal to or greater than the total length of the snake. The other half of the equation is the comparative size of one dimension to the next. For terrestrial snakes, the approximate ratio of width : depth : height = 4 : 2 : 1. So for a 2m woma that would work out to 1200mm to 14000mm wide x 600mm deep x 300mm height as set of approximate minimum dimensions. So your fairly standard enclosure of dimensions 1200mm wide x 600mm deep x 450mm high would be absolutely ideal.

If it is a juvi, you would probably be best to maintain it in a click-clack until such time as its size indicates it is ready for a larger enclosure. Irrespective, it is apparent that you do not have a good understanding of the snake you are intending to purchase as yet. This needs to be addressed before you buy any animal. Learning the basics as you go is never acceptable and puts your pet at risk. there are some excellent resources available. The book "Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons", edited by Mike Swan, at $50 is an invaluable investment. There are also some excellent articles provide free by Dr. Simone Stone, one of Australia's most successful and respected professional breeders, at http://www.southernxreptiles.com/RA ARTICLE PAGE.htm. You need to the research FIRST if you hope to be a successful keeper who can meet the needs of your animals and avoid the multitude of potential problems that can arise from inadequate husbandry. A sound knowledge of the required basic husbandry will see you see you avoiding a plethora of potential issues and getting lots of joy out of the well being of your animals. To take on an animal without it is not fair on the animal.

Best of luck with it. I sincerely hope it gives you much joy.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome enclosure, probs carpet etc. specific.
a woma wouldn't mind but just heating mayb a problem.
the problem with tall enclosures is creating a basking spot, warm end and cool end, as your woma most likely won't climb to reach the basking spot there fore always being in the cooler range of the enclosure.
talls enclosures are better for carpets as the warm/cold ambient temperature can be followed vertically, but for ground dwellers it mayb be a problem as they prefer a warm to cold horizontal difference.

excellent terrestrial enclosure can be made from an antique looking china cabinet
simple conversion as glass is already in place
They are usually wider rather than tall and fit most decors pretty well
or take the drawers out of a lowboy and fit glass doors

you could possibly make that one work ok by landscaping it
make an imitation rocky ledge with varying holes/hides at different levels
like a miniature cliff face
never tried anything like that with womas but may work if there are no alternatives
branches probably wont be used

no such thing as too big as long as you can heat it correctly. ps my tanami womas climb at night time so the extra hight wont hurt.

If your willing to spend that sort of coin on an enclosure have you thought of stein's beauty's, can't imagine anything beating them for a feature enclosure

If your willing to spend that sort of coin on an enclosure have you thought of stein's beauty's, can't imagine anything beating them for a feature enclosure

I agree, that would be alot of wasted space for a woma...

You can get nicer enclosures from stein's or reptileone has nice terrestrial ones. I was told that my woma would need at least a 4ft enclosure if that help at all, and Ben Steins enclosures are AMAZING!

It COULD be considered too big for a Woma but it could also be considered inappropriate for a pony too......Its really up to you.

Though, as has been mentioned ( I assume, I haven't read the other posts) go for more floor space and less height.

Just wondering if this enclosure by Reptile One, called the Serpens 200 a dedicated snake enclosure would be definately too big for a soon to be acquired Woma??

View attachment 241946

If you're willing to spend your top dollar (so soon)... either get a type snake for that enclosure you seem to love, or the proper enclosure for a Woma!

It sounds you're more concern with the "good looks" rather than what's comfortable for a Woma, no?

Read page 3 in this article:
KEEPING WOMAS, The Champagne of Snakes

They need floor space to dwell around and (not extremely necessary, but if you want), to replicate their desert habitat; spinifex and desert sand to dig their burrows.

NOTE: Womas tend to dig and push everything around and 'wreck' all one's beautiful decorations, - so less is preferable.

Perhaps a Woma may not be the right snake?
Also, how old/long is this Woma?
Snakes feel comfortable/secure in small tight spaces.
There are lots of posts here, where people put their snakes in bigger enclosures only to make their snakes very stressed and aggressive overnight!

(I still have my young Woma in a long Click Clack!) and in my humble opinion, I'd keep looking for the right enclosure for a Woma, if you're really certain you want a Woma.

Womas are Awesome!

GOOD LUCK:)

P.S.
I almost forgot, a few breeders/keepers (and in an article I read, I think by RICK SHINE, Uni. of Sydney) advised this bare minimum ratio for a snake enclosure:
Half of the snakes' body length for the Width (or length) of tank, then Depth and Hight, half that width.
So a 2 meter terrestrial snake would require a minimum W 1m, x D 50cm x H 50cm.

I'm not saying you should follow these, as some keepers prefer slightly larger. – But ultimately I would get an enclosure(s) that grows with your snake.
The down side is you may have to upgrade a couple of times in it's life time!

Last edited:
Thanks all. Great advice indeed (once again). Taken it on board and will go with what's right for the Woma not what is right for the house or to appease the cheese and kisses.

*thumbs up*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back