Expo feedback

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the impulse buys/n00bs, well it's a tough one. Perhaps several breeders could do a section specifically aimed at this area, and offer complete starter packs that would include the licence, all the necessary housing equipment (along with detailed care instructions) and the animal. At least this would give the animal the best possible start in it's new home. I don't think you'll ever stop the people who lose interest in 6 months - Though this can apply to those who have received their licence before the animal, too, not just impulse purchases. :D

That could work. Glad you enjoyed yourself. And good on you for introducing your son to our natives.
Next step will be so exciting for him :)

Central Coast expo would go off, convenient for both Sydney folks and Newcastle folk and you can come see our amazing beaches :)

nice insight from a 'n00b' Robnson, nice to see how people's experiences are early on and I'm sure the organisers appreciate it too.

as for what I'd like to see... a second expo 'for us mexicans' would be good if we aren't able to make it on the 1 day it's on it's a huge drive to see another or a long wait, maybe 1 larger expo full of interstate/large suppliers then 1 smaller mostly or entirely local/state level. As with everything it's the cost that kills most good idea's but surely we could get a hall somewhere a bit cheaper than the show grounds for the second/smaller show.

I guess the only issue then would be which side will they be on......this is why it's so hard to organise these things

* I also like the idea of a table by the door for all wanting information on licences, they don't have to issue them on the day just give them all the correct information on how to apply etc, all from someone who does it as their full-time job and as such can give all the correct answers.

Last edited:
maybe 1 larger expo full of interstate/large suppliers then 1 smaller mostly or entirely local/state level. As with everything it's the cost that kills most good idea's but surely we could get a hall somewhere a bit cheaper than the show grounds for the second/smaller show.

It's not practical at all for a huge expo with interstate sellers,given that each state has their own rules and regs not to mention the costs involved to interstate sellers as well as the logistics involved.

Well just some more suggestions. How about the people with their license upon entering in the expos show their licence. Then they receive a band with a number on it that they place upon their wrist like the Penrith expo. So if you go to the breeders table and you want to buy something you get first priority to be served. You could do two things with this system the seller could either do all transactions themsevels. Or the seller could issue the expos the details ie no to identify each animal snake, sellers details prior to expo or give them on the day. So when someone buys something that requires license thay get the information from seller and head to the cash register pay for transaction. They the peoople at the register get band no so they should have information when you are registering. Then another person at register goes and give the receipt or info to seller and grabs your purchased animal and gives to buyer.

Central Coast expo would go off, convenient for both Sydney folks and Newcastle folk and you can come see our amazing beaches :)

But as I said be fore who is going to organise, its not an easy job. I have been thinking and castle hill and sofar expos arnt that far away to travel. Maybe one of these could do a trial run on the coast and see what sort of interest they get.

Why not allow the licenced keepers (prospective buyers) through the doors for a sale preview......

perhaps one hour earlier than advertised start time ?

Yeah well that's the problem : \ but i rekon the perfect venue would be at Niagra Parks youth centre ( It is massive, has a canteen, well ventilated, lots of parking, near narara train station and is cheap ). I went to castle hill reptile expo this year and i enjoyed it

Yeah that would be perfect if it could just be organised. I highly doubt Castle Hill or SOFAR would want to organise an expo on the coast as they already have their place. :p

It's not practical at all for a huge expo with interstate sellers,given that each state has their own rules and regs not to mention the costs involved to interstate sellers as well as the logistics involved.

some interstate people fill stalls at certain shows and I wasn't meaning just for the rep's, and why isn't a big expo practical for Melbourne?

I really enjoyed both the expo's I've been to this year & they are definately getting better each year. The only thing I can whinge about is the lack of frozen rodents at the Hawkesbury expo, I was all ready to buy up & there wasn't a single person selling snake food.
In regards to the license issue maybe the expo organisers could include a paragraph on their advertisements reminding people that a license is needed on the day to purchase animals then have the relevant contact details so people can organise licensing prior to the expo.

some interstate people fill stalls at certain shows and I wasn't meaning just for the rep's, and why isn't a big expo practical for Melbourne?

Because the one we have doesnt make money as it is!

The club ones have animals from members on show. We need to coincide with breeding/hibernation etc. So, from March to April is the best time for us. January and February is usually too hot. Oct- November etc hatchies are either still incubating or not ready to go. So there is a limited window there.
Castle Hill is not a club, but they just have to be first cab off the rank lol

Yes but different herps have different activity patterns. Of course the brumation period late June to August is also breeding season for many pythons, so not a good time. However come September a number of species are in prime display condition, while others are better displayed in December, then March, then late May/early June. As for when hatchies are available this again varies and of course for the pythoncentric this is earlier in the year but for lizard breeders this is later (I've got more eggs currently incubating than hatched!). Also should we really be encouraging the whole sale selling of hatchies? I much prefer to hold and sell once established but cant do this easily with the current expo calendar.

Yeah that would be perfect if it could just be organised. I highly doubt Castle Hill or SOFAR would want to organise an expo on the coast as they already have their place. :p

I was thinking more that say SOFAR bring their expo a bit south bi yearly? this year newcastle, next year mingara?? I just think until we have a central coast herp group then we wont see anything on the coast without somebody else bringing it up/down here.

need more expos and some in sa as i think theyre great me and my family went and now everyone loves reptiles witch is a big difference to no snakes at all to i have now got one and in the next wile another.

Cant Stand When you go there and you cant look at buying anything because people are just standing there looking for 30-40 minutes and dont buy anything. Sweat Factory

I really enjoyed both the expo's I've been to this year & they are definately getting better each year. The only thing I can whinge about is the lack of frozen rodents at the Hawkesbury expo, I was all ready to buy up & there wasn't a single person selling snake food.
In regards to the license issue maybe the expo organisers could include a paragraph on their advertisements reminding people that a license is needed on the day to purchase animals then have the relevant contact details so people can organise licensing prior to the expo.

We approached a few rodent breeders to attend but either didn't get a reply or they weren't able to attend for whatever reason.

they need to have a expo in Newcastle... Sydney is just to far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back