A Must Watch.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
do any of you remember the last time someone went into a country to catch a high ranking criminal, i believe that took 10 years, countless lives of both military and civilians and we're still stuck there..

negativity or realism..

The sentiment behind stopping Kony is in the right place but I have to agree with donkey_kong (I have to agree with dk? not something I ever though I'd say as an adult)
Some of you may find this worth a read: We got trouble. - Visible Children - KONY 2012 Criticism
Particularly, read the part about AFRICOM it sums up dk's point about catching criminals abroad at a cost of civilian lives.

It's doing my head in people posting this video. They watch a 30 min video and think they are full bottle on what is going on. Do some research on Uganda and Invisible Children. We got trouble. - Visible Children - KONY 2012 Criticism

Looks like I'm not the only one to find that article lol, it certainly puts a sombering perspective on it all.
To be honest, people jumping on the KONY2012 bandwagon bothers me a bit too. It's a really nice change to see people taking an interest in something bigger than themselves, but taking things like this at face value is at best lazy and at its worst dangerous.
It's a shame that something needs to go viral before people will sit up and take notice of these sort of things though.

In the interest of not sounding totally cynical and negative I think getting people to care is the first step to seeing any change, so IMO there's the silver lining.

Last edited:
Saw this video posted on another forum, didn't watch it there ain't watching it here.
I'm sure it is "compellingly edited" like so many "raising awareness" videos.

No one will disagree he needs to be shot but these invisible child people are a bunch of crooks. If they made over 13 million in one year and gave 36% of that to the people who needed it then they should be giving this propaganda material out for free, but you won't see that happen because all they want is more money.

Oh yeh I agree, but it's good that people are getting behind SOMETHING at least. It only bothers me because everywhere in the world, take Mexico even, hold sex slavery happens every day! An some American politicians should be on that top 20 list. Anyway, after losing faith in humanity I'm just glad to see the caring side of people.

And as much as I don't agree with ever donating money, $50 for 250 posters is decent, I spend $50 on much worse superficial things. Geez, I spent $50 on alcohol last night and I'm off to work right now, that was a major waste of money...

Oh yeh I agree, but it's good that people are getting behind SOMETHING at least. It only bothers me because everywhere in the world, take Mexico even, hold sex slavery happens every day! An some American politicians should be on that top 20 list. Anyway, after losing faith in humanity I'm just glad to see the caring side of people.

And as much as I don't agree with ever donating money, $50 for 250 posters is decent, I spend $50 on much worse superficial things. Geez, I spent $50 on alcohol last night and I'm off to work right now, that was a major waste of money...

of that $50 though only about 15 is going to make it to africa and most of that will be to fund the Ugandan army. who as said earlier also commit crimes such as rape, a pointless cause considering Kony isn't in and hasn't been active there for half a decade..

if you're going to donate do it to somewhere like the red cross who have 90% of their money go to actually aiding the people affected..

Yeh that doesn't bother me as much though. I know where the money goes and that's why I don't usually ever donate. I usually think that if you wanna make a difference, go there and do the hard yards yourself.
But I'll be getting 250 posters! Hahaha. But seriously I spent $20 on alcohol last night and out of that $20, 100% of that money went straight out the other end haha :D
So basically I always spend my money on much worse things. :)

And besides, our government wastes so much bloody money, and I've never received 250 posters from them :) haha

Last edited:
actually take a bit of time to look into the "charity" or even just a glance at the larger situation in africa and how there are so many worse people there..

it's ok though, continue to watch and spread a video made by a probably corrupt charity that funds an army responsible for crimes as equally terrible to the ones they are apparently against, that makes sense.. enjoy acting like a social activist until this is forgotten in a few weeks and everything goes back to how it was..

I'm not going to get into the whole charity good/bad aspect but I do know that while Uganda is certainly very poor and messed up...it is by far NOT the worst place to live in Africa...In fact it is only a moderately bad place to live by African standards....obviously very poor by world standards though.

List of countries by Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this isn't going to change a damn thing though, that's my point, do you really believe eliminating Kony will make Africa a better place because it wont at all someone else will pop up to take his place. do you believe Kony and his militia are the only ones who commit these atrocities, news flash almost every african nation has the same **** going on in regards to child soldiers some even with real armies, its far from new, hell Kony has been at it for near 30 years, but now all of a sudden its an issue that everyone is getting upset about.

it's ridiculous this isn't going to do anything to solve their problems, no amount or financial, medical or military aid can help them while corruption is so rampant throughout Africa..

anyway i'm done with this all it does is annoy me so call me when something drastic changes, i expect your call sometime between now and never..

Very true...Sad but thats the reality of the situation in Africa...Kony is just one of MANY terrible people in Africa.

this **** makes me laugh, wow we just realized there is mass murder and rape going on in Africa lets post a video on face book that will fix it, look at Somalia millions of people have been killed and are starving and the world just looks on when this happens in an arab country to 10 people there first response is to invade

Thank you DK for bringing some reason to this thread first. I don't disagree, Kony is not a particularly pleasant fellow, however there's a lot more to the situation than that.
I watched the first 23 seconds and made my judgement from that. Awareness video? "A-W-A-R-E-N-E-S-S" is not how you spell PROPAGANDA.

And besides, charity begins at home. I'll say the same thing I said on another forum: "clean up the **** on your doorstep before starting on the rest of the yard"

And besides, charity begins at home. I'll say the same thing I said on another forum: "clean up the **** on your doorstep before starting on the rest of the yard"

very dumb and one way view of looking at the world, people can make it in this country and live half decently if they really try in this country lots of immigrants and Australians have and will continue to and u compare the small problems we have in our backyard to a country were the unemployment rate is probs at 70% and women cant go fetch water with out being raped and were genocide is happening by the millions, we can help at home and overseas but i personally think only military action will help Africa because its to far gone

very dumb and one way view of looking at the world, people can make it in this country and live half decently if they really try in this country

Not necessarily. The fact is, even in this country, not everyone is born into a situation that allows them to live well. Some people start so far behind the 8-ball that they need huge amounts of help to get to a point where they are able to support themselves. Why should aiding a country whose views in many instances are directly opposed to ours be a priority?

but i personally think only military action will help Africa because its to far gone
How is this any less of a black and white view? In any case, Africa has not asked for help, therefore, we cannot and should not mobilize our armed forces in their country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back