Does anyone know what these lumps are?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjamind2010

Reaction score
Does anyone know what these lumps could be?

Surely they couldn't be worms as the food I've fed it has been frozen for 9 months so no worms could have survived that. The only thing I can reasonably think of is something from the water that its been drinking or tumors. I don't think it's skin worms as they would be all over the body. These lumps are just on the neck and only on the sides.

ImageShack? - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Any advice would be appreciated.

Could be skin worms by the looks of it, A trip to a rep vet wouldnt be out of the question. To me that snake look a little under fed side of things in that pic!

She's well-fed it's just her neck you can see in this pic. She's very young she's a 2011 hatcho RHD woma with very nice colour so it's understandable that I'm freaking out. She eats 2-3 velvet rats a week and I'm about to start her on fuzzy rats. She's got a very good appetite but of course that doesn't rule out tumors because tumors don't affect appetite neither do skin worms. Skin worms are harmless but tumors are not!

Describe the lumps,are they hard? are they able to be moved slightly,are there any more lumps anywhere else on its body.
Not skin worms.

Describe the lumps,are they hard? are they able to be moved slightly,are there any more lumps anywhere else on its body.
Not skin worms.

Ill be at home soon and will have a better idea how hard the lumps are on her. The lumps seem semi-hard but I'm not sure if they move with the skin. If they don't move with the skin I'm not sure what they could be.

Caught a tree snake at work a few weeks ago and was absolutely covered with this. Placid as though

Caught a tree snake at work a few weeks ago and was absolutely covered with this. Placid as though

Bit different mate, common tree snakes eat frogs that carry worms, the worms then lay dorment under the skin of the snake untill something eats the snake and then the process continues..

I was told to wait until it sheds and see if they are still there. These could be fluid retention of unknown cause but these are apparently not uncommon from what I've been told. If they don't disappear or get worse then I'll take appropriate action. The lumps don't feel terribly hard but they are not really soft either. They could be skeletal or muscular too so I'll just wait and see. Perhaps the snake displaced some ribs while swallowing food items that may have been too big and its just some swelling. I'm not sure how often that happens. They are not skin worms that's for sure. I'm not being submissive here but I'm not being aggressive either. I'll see what comes of it and keep a good eye on it.

Good news. The lumps appear to have gone down, not completely, but to the point where you can't see them. I believe they will disappear. Apparently this is not uncommon, and it usually occurs on the neck in many places on both sides, something to do with muscles and ribs, sometimes a rib gets slightly displaced and it's noticeable on the flanks (sides). I've since been feeding her much bigger food items and this has probably worked out any kinks (which is what they would have been).

Good news. The lumps appear to have gone down, not completely, but to the point where you can't see them. I believe they will disappear. Apparently this is not uncommon, and it usually occurs on the neck in many places on both sides, something to do with muscles and ribs, sometimes a rib gets slightly displaced and it's noticeable on the flanks (sides). I've since been feeding her much bigger food items and this has probably worked out any kinks (which is what they would have been).
so u didnt take it to the vet to get checked out ., id be still interested to know what it was rather then speculate - but thats just me .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back