Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh_p

Reaction score
Hey just wanna no how I can get over my fear of getting bitten. I no its silly but for some reason I pit my hand in her click clack and just can't seem to get close enough she's always in the s bend looking like she's gonna strike me. I can change her water and substraight fine but scared to try and pick her up..

Try getting yourself a hook. In my experience they have always worked fantastically for both flighty animals and owners.

Well I'd give it ago, picking up by hand... At that age, you don't have much to worry about in the way of pain, she will know your not food after she has tagged you. Or like previously said just get a hook so you can pick up and place on your open palm till you are comfortable to pick her up by your hand.

At least at that age if she gets you it won't hurt and will actually help you get over the instinctive reaction to fling yourself away from her :)

If you are really nervous about it I would seriously hook her first so you get used to her defensive postering and tagging, then progress to holding her in your palm :) remember she is only a Baby and it is natural for her to do the "S" pose :) she is scared too
Good luck :)

So when I open the click clack and she sees me and she goes in that s bend should I just slowly move towards her with my hand and if she gets me she gets me and just pick her up?.

My baby Plat Spottie kinda got me over a fair amount of my fear by trying to pierce my lip! Only due to the set of circumstances at that moment in time, otherwise she's a kitten :)

You've got nothing to worry about. My mrs bought a B&W Jungle hatchling last week and is afraid of getting bitten, so I've been given the task of handling her until she's less snappy. Today I was bitten a couple of times (she was really well behaved which surprised me), not once did I feel it even though I new she had tagged me each time.

I told my mrs that the anticipation is the worst part of getting bitten by a hatchling, once you get past that it's all good fun.

Yeh Josh that's it... And yes as you just said, if she gets ya, she gets ya. You just keep going and pick her up... Remember to be direct and purposeful with your movements. Hope these posts have all helped

So when I open the click clack and she sees me and she goes in that s bend should I just slowly move towards her with my hand and if she gets me she gets me and just pick her up?.

Thats what I usually do, I try to keep my hand low and scoop from underneath if it's a snake that looks like it wants to strike. I don't use hooks with any of my snakes except for after feeding.

Yer I want to get bitten but I'm scared there so fast lol. Ok im gonna try tomorrow and if she gets me she gets me I'll let's you's no how I go

Maybe try this, look away and stick your hand in like some people do with getting needles....that may help?

the younger ones are usually a bit more fiesty. but try not overshadowing her when u go for the pick up. maybe grab beneth the tail and then pick up. But this is what i do with my 2 pyscho jungles :) not my blondie ( and im actually convincing myself now that she is now a vegetarian :) lol )

using a hook to initially get it out sounds like your best option, If you put your hand in and it bites you more than likely you'll crap yourself and pull away potentially with the snake still attached and can fling it. Go to the hardware shop any but a small roller frame for the small type painting rollers, they make good cheap hooks.

Last edited:
Just do it. if you're quick and confident you'll get no grief. Feel the fear and do it anyway. Good advice I think unless you're a suicide bomber.

Baby spotteds hurt less than a mosquito bite IMO. It's all about the shock of the speed in their strike really. The key is to prepare for it and stay calm when it happens. If it doesn't happen then you can just smile, lol. But yeah, even a full grown spotted bite doesn't hurt that much, helps to eliminate a bit of the fear when you realise how painless it really is.

When my stimmie was about 18 months old, I suddenly became frightened of him.....now that's really something to laugh at...boy, did I feel stupid...and I did get laughed at....I mean stimmies are the most placid guys you can get. But as much as I loved him, I went through a stage where I was scared of him and wondered if I'd done the right thing getting a snake. I wore cotton gloves, I used a hook....but after a few weeks, I got over my fear, he's now almost 4 and I'm not afraid anymore..... it's not stupid to be afraid, you just have to relax and soon you'll feel better. xxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back