Can someone sex my mice?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
one thing, one mouse keeps squeaking... im not sure what one it is but is this a bad thing? All the mice are in a massive tub wich is like 1m long by 50cm wide so there is 9 females and 2 males

Found out its one of the males. He squeaks when he sees another mouse. The squeak is always a different pitch not just one long scream.

Last edited:
Remove the buck. They rarely cohabit peacefully (unlike rats) and are even less likely to tolerate each other when there are does in the same tub.

The other buck will be attacking him (usually you see bite marks on the testes/penis and on their rump). They will literally kill each other, so do the animal a favour and remove him or cull him. You don't need more than one buck in with nine does anyway. He'll knock them all up just fine provided he's fertile.

Its normal for a mouse that is being attacked to squeak like a stuck pig when any mouse comes near them, even if it isn't the mouse doing the attacking.

Hope that helps.

Hehe! Mine just get cardboard boxes and toilet rolls to chew up and nest in. Keeps them happy ripping it all up.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have lots of litters in no time.

why not put 4 females and one male in a tub and the other 5 females and male in another tub . saves having 1 male and 8 females in the one tub ..

well i went down today to see the male and the doe, their good! But the male in the tub with 8 females is squeaking too. I swaped the males over but they both still squeak.. I just here a squeak and then lots of rummaging inside the house. (I put a house in the big tub). I hope this is normal. Also i cant really see any plugs in the females.

How old are your bucks? I'd take out the 'houses' so you can see what's happening when a scrap starts. Mature does can be territorial, but although they might chase and nip they aren't savage like bucks are to each other so they should be fine and will work it out.

well i think he was just settling in. no more squeaks. One thing can someone post a pic of the "plug" that females get. Also how long should it be before the females start to mate with the male?

well i think he was just settling in. no more squeaks. One thing can someone post a pic of the "plug" that females get. Also how long should it be before the females start to mate with the male?
well if all are up to and beyond breeding age - then id say when the females are ready [ cycle wise]

Thanks for all your help guyz, went down today and their was a female with a plug. It was HUGE. I thought they were small. Never seen one.
Once again thanks. Hopefully i get babies

can someone please let me in on what this so called "plug" is? I have no idea what repty23 is on about? cheers

when they breed the female has a plug inside her uterus/ vagina i beleive it is left there by the male so as that no other male can breed with her. i think . Never really looked for any of that stuff. Basicly throw a male in with a few females and after three to four weeks bingo little pink riggling jelly beans. When they are first born they are really yummy bit like chicken with a raspberry jam texture.

K nevermind about the post above. ^. I'm starting to get some fat pregnant mice and taken away the males but the females seem to be fighting each other. Is this normal?

K nevermind about the post above. ^. I'm starting to get some fat pregnant mice and taken away the males but the females seem to be fighting each other. Is this normal?
i would have left the males in there , as for the females - they should sort themselfs out .

I leave the males in - personal choice really. I've found that the males will actually sit on the nest and keep the bubs warm whilst the mums go for a feed.

My colony don't fight, but anything that fights is culled so I guess I've selectively bred away from that behaviour. I'd leave them together, they'll get over it. It will just be a bit of bullying for dominance - unlike the males which is really fight to the death kind of stuff.

Well guys thanks for everyone's help - again. I got about 20-25 pinkies last night. They are very ugly. Haha. Very happy. Thankou.

Congrats! They get much cuter when they get their pelts. They come out looking like jellybeans.

I took a couple of pics of one of my colonies the other day whilst I had camera in hand. They are breeding like crazy at the moment.

DSC_0063-8.jpg

DSC_0065-12.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back