Me VS a whole lotta ants!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anna.jc

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My dad has gone into a lot of effort of cutting a nice branch off a dead eucalypt and fitted it over and over to put in my diamonds new enclosure (i cannot find one big enough at the pet stores). I almost wasn't going to worry about treating it because I couldn't see any creepy crawlies but i saw a few ants and thought maybe soak it for a couple of hours.

I took it out and dried it and they were still there and there were more..... I put it back in the water and I watched them crawl on the branch UNDER THE WATER :shock:, man o man are they tough little buggers!!! this is worse than i thought i am now pouring boiling water over the branch and in the holes and they are still coming out. I feel terrible about it i always knew ants are amazing critters ... but they just won't die!!!

RUN!
Run for your life.
You are in dire peril.
Whatever you do, don't watch Attack of the Killer Ants.

I keep checking the bathroom where it is soaking expecting this gigantic swarm to be in there and me standing there going Oh... **** so this is what happenes when you mess with Mother Nature!!! RUN lol

My dad has gone into a lot of effort of cutting a nice branch off a dead eucalypt and fitted it over and over to put in my diamonds new enclosure (i cannot find one big enough at the pet stores). I almost wasn't going to worry about treating it because I couldn't see any creepy crawlies but i saw a few ants and thought maybe soak it for a couple of hours.

I took it out and dried it and they were still there and there were more..... I put it back in the water and I watched them crawl on the branch UNDER THE WATER :shock:, man o man are they tough little buggers!!! this is worse than i thought i am now pouring boiling water over the branch and in the holes and they are still coming out. I feel terrible about it i always knew ants are amazing critters ... but they just won't die!!!

Ants are tough bastards,I once brought a branch home only to find it infested and spent more than a month trying to get rid of the mongrels and ended up with the branch under water in a barrel for weeks with a brick to stop it floating.Then I used liquid nails to block the hole so the crickets couldn't use it.

Good lesson for others there...dont use the branches that have ant nests in them.

Can someone make a facepalm smiley? We need one.
Real bad.

Ants are tough bastards,I once brought a branch home only to find it infested and spent more than a month trying to get rid of the mongrels and ended up with the branch under water in a barrel for weeks with a brick to stop it floating.Then I used liquid nails to block the hole so the crickets couldn't use it.

Oh dear my snake will never move in to its new home lol!!! well so far i dont see any coming out of the hole that is not submerged in boiling water and I was seeing that i was also flushing their larvae so the boiling water seems to have made a definite impact into the deep canals.

I could not worry about it but.... all i can picture is in the cartoons how the picnic basket starts to be carried away by ants thats what I see them doing to my diamond lol!!

Good lesson for others there...dont use the branches that have ant nests in them.

Can someone make a facepalm smiley? We need one.
Real bad.

There is one. There is a thread about it.

Oh. Well that probably saves me needing to type anything ever again..

Weird... I was just about to post a question about ants... I have a terrarium for a Beardie and the ants have figured out that theres usually gear in there that they can eat, so I have a stead stream of the little buggers going in and out of the enclosure. Obviously I don't want to poison them - but I'd like to be rid of them. Anyone else have this issue, and if so how do you deal with it?

Move the terrarium?

:facepalm:

Ooo! Thats gonna cut my typing time by 95%!

Weird... I was just about to post a question about ants... I have a terrarium for a Beardie and the ants have figured out that theres usually gear in there that they can eat, so I have a stead stream of the little buggers going in and out of the enclosure. Obviously I don't want to poison them - but I'd like to be rid of them. Anyone else have this issue, and if so how do you deal with it?

If ants are getting his food put a saucer of water underneath so they can't get to it.

that is also why I didn't want to put the branch in there I knew there would be a line of ants looking for food in the house! Yea like Darlyn said a saucer of water and I haven't tried it but apparently they cannot walk across salt either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back