"Port Arthur"

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a second rate landscape, with a silly little Bryant figure added for shock value. I guess it was created solely to get the 'artist' some attention, so ultimately it's a successful painting. Artistic value...no.

Are you? Mass murderers and serial killers thrive on the notoriety they achieve.

And you have how many degrees on this? People commit mass murder because they are mentaly unstable not because they want to end up in a book that no one ever reads ie Guiness Book of records.

I guess your right they'll much rather a painting of themselves.

I imagine being immortalised in a book or on canvas is a more valid reason than disliking Mondays

Yes you are right however I don't recall either myself or anyone else for that matter saying that he did it because he doesn't like Mondays, the whole thing started as a family dispute and let's not leave out the fact that he is clearly not all there.

Does anyone here really believe that he did it for any sort of fame? If he did it to be famous he wouldn't be constantly trying to kill himself (which he does regularly)

Last edited:
LOL How many degrees do you have
Obviously I read the Guiness book.
You've never heard of The Boomtown Rats?
Who knows why he did it!!

Your funny Jacktar

I can think of a bigger slaughter down there and no one says a thing about it. What happened to all the Aboriginies that lived there? Alot more that Bryant's and maybe Kony....

artists dont contribute anything to society, exceptbuying the fancy wines, that keeps our winemakers in business

Really?

I guess you don't read books, listen to music, watch movies, look at photography, after all, this is also art..........This is a very broad (and exceptionally wrong) statement. Coming from a family of "Artists" and growing up around artists I really enjoy this way of thinking.

Its as stereotypical as me saying that blue collar workers keep Carlton United Breweries and Winfield Tobacco afloat and contribute nothing to society other than keeping their local hospital ED operational due to them flogging the crap out of their wives in anger after their NRL team loses or ford beats holden around Mt Panorama............

To the painting.

Its is an amazing painting. So really well put together. And as others have said, Bryant is but a miniture part of the piece. I can understand why some would be offended or angered by it but art, in what ever medium is about portraying emotion and not all is 'feel good' puppy dogs and rainbows.

Port Arthur has a very dark and brutal past and like it of not, its a part of Australian history. As a part of history it will be relived over and over again. Both the distant past and the recent. Its no different than a painting depicting the massacres of indigenous except that this has happened in our lifetime.

To cater to the sensitivity of this (and similar) events and refrain from depicting it in such an expression is in a way forgetting the event. It isn't glorifying Bryant. I'm sure if he was shown with demonic features there wouldn't be quite the stir but he is shown as he was. A man. A very disturbed man but still just a man.

its a painting of Port Arthur..... Whats the First thing you think of when you hear Port Arthur???

isn't the whole point of Art to invoke an emotional response?
as for calls to destroy or hide the piece, Please, wake up to yourselves, this moral outrage is silly at best.
should we also hide away all other information of our brutal and violent history?

And you have how many degrees on this? People commit mass murder because they are mentaly unstable not because they want to end up in a book that no one ever reads ie Guiness Book of records.

Does anyone here really believe that he did it for any sort of fame? If he did it to be famous he wouldn't be constantly trying to kill himself (which he does regularly)

I don't need a degree on the subject. My old man is an ex detective Sargent who worked in all areas of major crime including homicide. I have read police case files that no one bar coppers have read before. I also know enough about murderers to know that every single one has a motive and in a lot of cases, power over their victim is the motive, this often evolves into creating fear over the general public and gaining notoriety. Bryant may not have committed his crimes to get notoriety, but there are PLENTY of mass murderers who do.

They get off on the notoriety they gain, it gives them a thrill to see themselves in the paper. There have been cases where serial killers have been enraged that someone else has taken the fall for their crimes, so they commit more crimes to prove the cops got the wrong guy.

I can pm you if you'd like to be schooled any further.

No I'm good, it's painful enough reading this tripe in the forum let alone it being sent to me alone.

I do believe however that you are confusing mass murderers with serial killers.

Your funny Jacktar

Sure have heard of the Boomtown Rats, they sang a song written by Bob Geldof about a school shooting where TWO people died.

Last edited:
it's a painting , and i would treat it the same as all other paintings by not giving a rats ****. artists dont contribute anything to society, exceptbuying the fancy wines, that keeps our winemakers in business, and kimberly clark for all the toilet paper needed to wipe their chins

Oddly enough an area I have looked at seriously. I was secretary of the NSW Artworkers Union and then on the Artworkers Section of the Media Entertainment Arts Alliance some year back.The arts generates more income, employs more people, attracts a larger audience than all the sporting events in Australia. Most visual artists have multiple employment and channel that income back into their art practice which in turn is spent at local businesses and services.
My question is how do you contribute to society. Having a bat on the internet keeps Kimberly Clarke happy but what else do you do?

Is this painting based very closely on an older 19th century painting??? .... Sure Ive seen nearly exactly this without the figure? .... maybe just deja whooooo.......

Your funny Jacktar

I saw Boomtown Rats live about 30 years ago, I must have been about 1 year old (or not) they were great artists : )

Good job Grannie :)

Seriously though......back onto the painting. I do appreciate it and I don't think it is a product on any "cashing in" on a high notoriety event, just a fairly powerful statement. It has certainly got people talking!

I have watched the "Police Training Video" showing the bodies as they lay throughout the site and it broke my heart. I was also there a year prior.

I do not understand what posesses anyone to do such things and sadly I do know that the person responsible enjoys the notoriety from this, these "people" do as notoriety is all they have.

it's a painting , and i would treat it the same as all other paintings by not giving a rats ****. artists dont contribute anything to society, exceptbuying the fancy wines, that keeps our winemakers in business, and kimberly clark for all the toilet paper needed to wipe their chins

Lol I agree 100 percent

By the way I had never heard of this massacre but just read the wikipedia page on it...How the hell did this guy not get the death penalty?

I'm so pro death penalty it's not even funny...It's my most conservative position by far (and I'm not very conservative at all). If you take another humans beings life (not including manslaughter and 3rd degree murder) you should get a bullet to the head....period end of discussion. I don't care if your mother abandoned you when you were 3 or your father beat into the hospital every day when you were 9...That's irrelevant and means nothing as far as I'm concerned....You still took a persons life and ruined their loved ones lives for ever...All other variables (abuse filled childhood etc) mean nothing....And I would also support killing the person in the same way they killed their victim/victims...I.E if you stab someone to death....you get stabbed to death etc.

Lol I agree 100 percent

By the way I had never heard of this massacre but just read the wikipedia page on it...How the hell did this guy not get the death penalty?

I'm so pro death penalty it's not even funny...It's my most conservative position by far (and I'm not very conservative at all). If you take another humans beings life (not including manslaughter and 3rd degree murder) you should get a bullet to the head....period end of discussion. I don't care if your mother abandoned you when you were 3 or your father beat into the hospital every day when you were 9...That's irrelevant and means nothing as far as I'm concerned....You still took a persons life and ruined their loved ones lives for ever...All other variables (abuse filled childhood etc) mean nothing....And I would also support killing the person in the same way they killed their victim/victims...I.E if you stab someone to death....you get stabbed to death etc.

No state in Australia has the death penalty.

How can people say they don't think artists contribute to society? Do you not watch movies, read websites designed by web designers, look at photos etc? Actors, writers, painters, chefs, everything you do in your day to day lives and the things you enjoy probably have an artistic influence. My mrs doesn't think actors should be paid the millions that they are paid, I think they should because people are willing to pay the money to see their work.

I don't agree with the death penalty, I think death is too good for a lot of sick people. They should be tortured, rehabilitated and tortured again. Repeat the process until they die of old age. That's what I'd want done to someone who murdered someone I loved.

Last edited:

a better question is HOW he supposedly managed such an awesome kill rate, when some of the best marksmen in the world with the best equipment have said it's basically impossible.

No state in Australia has the death penalty.

How can people say they don't think artists contribute to society? Do you not watch movies, read websites designed by web designers, look at photos etc? Actors, writers, painters, chefs, everything you do in your day to day lives and the things you enjoy probably have an artistic influence. My mrs doesn't think actors should be paid the millions that they are paid, I think they should because people are willing to pay the money to see their work.

I don't agree with the death penalty, I think death is too good for a lot of sick people. They should be tortured, rehabilitated and tortured again. Repeat the process until they die of old age. That's what I'd want done to someone who murdered someone I loved.

Yeah I would not have a problem with that provided it was for 1st or maybe 2nd degree murder....I've always said if they committed executions by shooting someone point blank in the balls than walking out of the room and waiting 15 minutes than re-entering and finishing them off with a head shot...Murders would be vastly reduced.

I'm obviously don't mean this for a "guy comes home from work to see other man having an affair with his wife and in a heat of passion and rage moment attacks and kills the man" type of situation...Obviously that doesn't warrant the death penalty.

But if you knowingly plan and follow through on a premeditated murder.....Point blank shot in the nuts...wait 15 minutes than finish off with a head shot would be perfectly fine for me....and if the murder involves a women or child...wait an hour.

KR,

A dear friend once summed up the death penalty, in a way that is just perfect.

In my opinion, the way you view the death penalty is "wrong" ..infact I feel that way about a lot of people's "reasons" for supporting it, or not.

The death penalty should be seen NOT as a means of punishment.
The death penalty STOPS reoccurance. this is the important part. Punishing people is irrelevant when the opportunity for reoccurance does not exist.
This is incredibly important for multiple reasons, especially in terms of not caring about people's sap stories or illness, as again...it's about reoccurance.
This also stops the "now youre as bad as them" argument.

I don't mind the painting. As I unfortunately feel society can't hide from the horrors that have accrued.

I dont find the painting offensive, I find it steeped in sadness with the mist and the shadows... I take the light breaking through the clouds to be akin to dark days ending, light after dark etc

Vamptorso, A dear friend once summed up the death penalty, in a way that is just perfect.

In my opinion, the way you view the death penalty is "wrong" ..infact I feel that way about a lot of people's "reasons" for supporting it, or not.

The death penalty should be seen NOT as a means of punishment.
The death penalty STOPS reoccurance. this is the important part. Punishing people is irrelevant when the opportunity for reoccurance does not exist.
This is incredibly important for multiple reasons, especially in terms of not caring about people's sap stories or illness, as again...it's about reoccurance.
This also stops the "now youre as bad as them" argument.
food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back