"Port Arthur"

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
KR,

A dear friend once summed up the death penalty, in a way that is just perfect.

In my opinion, the way you view the death penalty is "wrong" ..infact I feel that way about a lot of people's "reasons" for supporting it, or not.

The death penalty should be seen NOT as a means of punishment.
The death penalty STOPS reoccurance. this is the important part. Punishing people is irrelevant when the opportunity for reoccurance does not exist.
This is incredibly important for multiple reasons, especially in terms of not caring about people's sap stories or illness, as again...it's about reoccurance.
This also stops the "now youre as bad as them" argument.

I don't mind the painting. As I unfortunately feel society can't hide from the horrors that have accrued.

I think it should be both a punishment and a method to stop reoccurance....Why should it not be a punishment?? I am a very forgiving person...but NOT at all for murder....and since I don't believe in an afterlife...I consider it the ultimate crime to take an innocent persons life.

Thats why I could care less if you were abused or neglected or whatnot in your childhood...That doesn't give you the right to prematurely end an innocent persons life in a horrible way....The only life that person will ever get....I wish every state in America had a death penalty....

Plus it costs tax dollars to keep these monsters alive...Doesn't bother me much that my tax dollars contribute to food stamps for poor families.....but this bothers me immensely....Revenge is a good thing in many circumstances.

I think it should be both a punishment and a method to stop reoccurance....Why should it not be a punishment?? I am a very forgiving person...but NOT at all for murder....and since I don't believe in an afterlife...I consider it the ultimate crime to take an innocent persons life.

What good has our current view of punishment done?

There's no need to punish if the problem individual is gone...their crimes can no longer harm society. And thats the ultimate goal, isn't it?

KR,

A dear friend once summed up the death penalty, in a way that is just perfect.

In my opinion, the way you view the death penalty is "wrong" ..infact I feel that way about a lot of people's "reasons" for supporting it, or not.

The death penalty should be seen NOT as a means of punishment.
The death penalty STOPS reoccurance. this is the important part. Punishing people is irrelevant when the opportunity for reoccurance does not exist.
This is incredibly important for multiple reasons, especially in terms of not caring about people's sap stories or illness, as again...it's about reoccurance.
This also stops the "now youre as bad as them" argument.

I don't mind the painting. As I unfortunately feel society can't hide from the horrors that have accrued.

That's fine vamps (didn't realise you changed your name back, lol), but if someone killed a family member of mine, I'd want there to be more done than just ensuring the offense doesn't happen again. I'd want the person to pay for what they did. A simple shot to the head or a lethal injection isn't brutal enough.

What good has our current view of punishment done?

There's no need to punish if the problem individual is gone...their crimes can no longer harm society. And thats the ultimate goal, isn't it?

No. My ultimate goal would be to make them endure the pain and suffering that they forced others to endure.

a better question is HOW he supposedly managed such an awesome kill rate, when some of the best marksmen in the world with the best equipment have said it's basically impossible.

I call conspiracy! Must of been the U.S government after oil again.

in about 2003 I helped with a study on the effects of child abuse
over 80% of the prisoners in jails in NSW had been officially reported as victims of child abuse
as kids......67% of intravenous drug users fell into the same category
therefore things like child abuse definitely do have a tremendous impact on lives

if we take that into consideration then an automatic death sentence is a recognition of our failure....
until and unless we fix the background problems death sentences must be very low on our priority list

I actually do agree with death sentences under certain circumstances
anita cobby murder would be a prime example

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back