Grandchild

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im 12 and i know im not a expert but i would say go with like leaf tailed gecko or velvet geckos or bynoe gecko all are easy to look after low maintanence and ive got a beardie and he is 16inch long and hes the best pet i could ask for but he needs maintanance and attention or they become lazy and not so apealing so yeah i would say gecko as a starter

and turtle is not a starter they need a big tank and a really expensive filter and than they need the uv light wich is $60 each and calcium blocks and all of that so not a starter mine is 5yrs old and hes a really nice animal but you cant really hold them they just dont like it so yeah as i said before gecko great starter

Last edited:
Not really a reptile as such but what about something like a hermit crab as a tester? If it goes well then consider moving up to something else. At least with a hermit crab it has protection and you can lay down ground rules for the child. You can buy funky looking shells for them too so they're bright and attractive and not scary at all. Just a suggestion. Hope it all goes well with whatever you decide :)

im 12 and i know im not a expert but i would say go with like leaf tailed gecko or velvet geckos or bynoe gecko all are easy to look after low maintanence and ive got a beardie and he is 16inch long and hes the best pet i could ask for but he needs maintanance and attention or they become lazy and not so apealing so yeah i would say gecko as a starter

and turtle is not a starter they need a big tank and a really expensive filter and than they need the uv light wich is $60 each and calcium blocks and all of that so not a starter mine is 5yrs old and hes a really nice animal but you cant really hold them they just dont like it so yeah as i said before gecko great starter

You suck man, I thought Ian was back with another campfire story.

Gecko absolutely terrible starter for a 3 year old. Geckos are lower maintenance than many reptiles but are not just look but don't touch but even less of a look pet in most cases due to their nocturnal habits. Of the geckos you have listed apart from the Oedura I would list them all as tier 2 geckos. (Just as easy as tier 1 but more appropriate to get after owning a tear 1 to ensure you understand basic gecko needs).
In this case the parents will be doing the work, so it's not important if it is slightly high maintenance such as a Bluey, or a turtle once set up (turtles are very easy once setup.) and I wouldn't say the price of a turtle including setup isn't as exorbitant as your post leads to believe if you shop right.

Anyway just my 2c, gecko worst started for someone under 10 possible, probably not best starter for anyone of any age level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back