Snake Advice from Local Mayor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not just reptiles at risk but other protective native animals are at risk too

This area is still recovering from the floods last year and they come out with this rot, they should be focusing on fixing the remainder of the area from floods before they yap. Goes to show the council are narrow minded rednecks. You shouldn't interfere with the balance of nature

I got a response to my email. It follows-

Dear Lynne,

Council recently received your correspondence regarding the media release “Snake season isn’t over yet”, that appeared in the Gatton Star’s Valley Voice on Wednesday 7 March.

I would like to personally apologise for any distress this media release may have caused you. However, I can assure you it was not intended to do so.

The tip ‘allow a cat to hunt on your property’ was not researched thoroughly enough or fact checked, and as such, it appears that I have made a fundamental error in drafting this story for public consumption.

I sincerely apologise for this oversight and will do my best to ensure it does not happen again.

Additionally, the material written was not in line with the Mayor’s comments or thinking on the issue and after speaking with him, I thought it only fitting that I write to you myself.

I will be including a short retraction in next week’s Gatton Star on Council’s page, which will again, apologise for the misguided words.

I am sincerely sorry for any concern this has caused you.

Kind regards,

Sarah Fox
---------------------------------------------
Corporate Communication Manager
Lockyer Valley Regional Council

I got a response to my email. It follows-

Dear Lynne,

Council recently received your correspondence regarding the media release “Snake season isn’t over yet”, that appeared in the Gatton Star’s Valley Voice on Wednesday 7 March.

I would like to personally apologise for any distress this media release may have caused you. However, I can assure you it was not intended to do so.

The tip ‘allow a cat to hunt on your property’ was not researched thoroughly enough or fact checked, and as such, it appears that I have made a fundamental error in drafting this story for public consumption.

I sincerely apologise for this oversight and will do my best to ensure it does not happen again.

Additionally, the material written was not in line with the Mayor’s comments or thinking on the issue and after speaking with him, I thought it only fitting that I write to you myself.

I will be including a short retraction in next week’s Gatton Star on Council’s page, which will again, apologise for the misguided words.

I am sincerely sorry for any concern this has caused you.

Kind regards,

Sarah Fox
---------------------------------------------
Corporate Communication Manager
Lockyer Valley Regional Council
Glad that you got a response, I havent yet. Not that I really mind, I am just glad the message has got through so it seems :)

I would have thought everyone who bitched would get one?
HHmmmmmmm.............

Maybe someone should call the pound to 'eliminate' the dog they call a mayor.

^ would that work in letter?

I called him a "bloody ignoramus" maybe that's why they replied : )

Local mayor is under educated in wildlife it seems, it's this sort of media that will make ppl not hesitate in killing snakes. And unfortunately a lot of ppl just believe its the right thing to do because it s written in the paper. AND RELASE A CAT WHAT A GOOSE BUGER!!!!

Well done, guys. It's good to see the message got through and a person of some standing will be putting out more appropriate information now (or probably just not putting anything wildlife-related out, which is better than what he was doing). It's funny that he pretended his words weren't his, but at least the result is a good one :)

The polite and correct thing to do is reply to the mayor and thank him for his interest :)

It is all about building bridges with people in prominent positions

Cheers
Sandee :)

LOL good luck with getting an apology from Bob he's more likely to respond with a threat. I remember a TV interview he did on Cardwell jetty once were he threatened to feed the Politicians opposing shooting our crocodiles to the crocs, he did qualify it with an if any locals were taken.

Good to see a positive result from Gatton.

cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back