Generation disrespectful?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway I'm agreeing that there's a hell of a lot more issues, and I think that coincides with the amount of bad foods thy people eat. Go back 100 years and people got smacked and ate better foods - more respect and less issues. Today's society is a great big social nightmare. That's my opinion anyway :)
And I definitely agree with the thread subject, this younger generation has to be generation disrespect.

All of my 'issues' were caused by diet. Took my Inlaws advice and cut out caffeine, most sugars, all preservatives (except the odd treat) and eat mostly raw and organic foods and now I have no 'issues.' Drinking on the other hand I personally see as a cultural and social thing here.

my sister had the same issues, Many intolerances and when my mum helped her get on track and then when she became 18 (many many years ago) she really got into the healthy side of things and has inproved incredibly! She didn't really get smacked tho....I pushed the boundaries more lol. And Glad I did, smacking was a great thing :)

Interesting thread... Children learn from what they see at home. They are incredible observers and soak up everything. I have seen too many parents let the television raise their kids, and the crap on tv these days.. whole other issue. The way you interact with others (over the phone, in person, in the car..) EVERYTHING is noted by them. Parents need to lead and teach by example. You MUST say please, thank you, give up your seat, etc in order for your children to learn these things. Give children your time, that is all they want at an early age, and they will have less issues when they are older. I believe the blame lies 100% with the parents - not society, not school, not any particular generation. I have never smacked my kids, but I take time out every day to sit and play with them, take them out to the park, and show them how to be nice and to interact with others. Love your kids and treat them well, treat them as you would like to be treated and see the difference.

Everyday I see certain types of people (not going to mention) Sitting down on busses and trains that don't give up their seats for old folks. It sickens me that they can just sit there with their dumb vague look on their face whilst oldies stand up and are flustered and in discomfort.

There is one biggy that can't be forgotten.......Some people are just jerks......Really quite as simple ast that.

Last edited by a moderator:
It not the Law thats making kids disrespectful is teachers.
They think that because they have a job for life they can do anything.
They also think that because they are a teacher they can do anything to you and you should respect them no matter what.
Some teachers are decent people and respect the kids, and those are the good teachers that kids respect and ones that they will obey.
Some teachers see kids as money in their pocket and don't care about anything, they dont respect us and because of that, we dont respect them.
Because they dont respect us and we are exposed to a great lack of respect we are taught that respect doesn't matter.

Will

Mate, you have know idea. My mum for example has been a teacher for 20 years+ school may start at 8:00 or whatever and finish at 3:00 but unless you've seen the work they do outside of your school day I don't think you can honestly say they see kids as money.. Hours upon ours trying to make up fun activities etc for them.. My Dad after 20 odd years of teaching, became a Deputy... The little sh**s they have to deal with on a daily basis would drive me insane. Kid's that think that what they get away with AT HOME like throwing tantrums and swearing they can get away with at school... Every teacher that I EVER had and I went through every year of primary school and high school responded positively to a student being polite, and respectful.. Just put yourself in their shoes.. high school teachers dealing with all those hormonal kids thinking that they are top dogs.. I couldn't do their job..

I have never laid a finger on my children and they are the not disrespectful at all. You smack your child because you have lost control but i got smacked when I was young and it didn't do me any harm but it didn't do me any good either!

How can you expect you child to show respect when you can't respect them? If someone hit you would you respect them? But some people don't get it, it takes higher intelligence to teach your children how to respect others and be well behaved.

how does disciplining a child correlate to disrespect? let me rephrase that, how does a child get respect? you don't get respect, you EARN it, by doing what's right and taking whatever consequences of your actions like a proper adult!
if it was for my own good, yes, of course, i have the highest respect towards my parents. If a random punched me in the face i'd be sure to return the favor.

now if i may be so bold to ask you a personal question, how were you disciplined growing up? because that also plays a major factor in how we perceive each other's views. My parents were asian, albeit more westernised, but they also saw the merits of traditional asian parenting (giving the kids the appropriate tough love if you will). And that's how i'm probably going to raise my own offspring.

I absolutely agree. Two Girlfriends of mine got glasses on Friday night by two guys who decided they'd do it because they felt like it. One friend got glassed on the side of her head which missed her temple by 2mm, and the other got glassed on the head and punched in the face - she has missing teeth that will cost thousands to replace and she's had to call off her 21st party. And these were guys about the same age. This stuff is happening way too often...

Whatever happened to the old fashioned rule of never laying a hand on a girl/woman.
But then again... Some are that feral these days that sometimes we have no choice.
And this is a bit off topic. But chicks, especially if they're in a relationship with the guy and he's bashing her. Often put up with it because they think they somehow deserved it. Or are too scared to do anything about it. And it seems like guys like this are the ones that most girls are attracted to.
THAT is sad.

Nearly everyone on this thread talks about how well adjusted they are then how they want to violently abuse children.
At the recent Penrith herp show I watched one father raise his fist at his daughter. The sheer terror on her face said it all. Thats how I equate the garbage in this thread.

Whatever happened to the old fashioned rule of never laying a hand on a girl/woman.
But then again... Some are that feral these days that sometimes we have no choice.
And this is a bit off topic. But chicks, especially if they're in a relationship with the guy and he's bashing her. Often put up with it because they think they somehow deserved it. Or are too scared to do anything about it. And it seems like guys like this are the ones that most girls are attracted to.
THAT is sad.

Yeh I've known a few people to be in relationships like that, but these two girls in particular are just fun-loving party animals, and they're nice people. I honestly don't see why anyone would want to hurt them, they're not trouble-makers and definitely not ferals haha I think they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time :(

Nearly everyone on this thread talks about how well adjusted they are then how they want to violently abuse children.
At the recent Penrith herp show I watched one father raise his fist at his daughter. The sheer terror on her face said it all. Thats how I equate the garbage in this thread.

Raising a fist is a bit different to a slap on the wrist or the bottom though. I don't think raising a fist to your child equates to most people here.

And nobody said they want to violently abuse a child. That's sick.

I experienced some disrespectful kids tearing through the crowds at the Melbourne Soundwave. They'd spot a gap in front of you and would barge their way in front, or simply shove past you.

I had to laugh a little because it kept happening to me during the day. My solution was driving my elbows into the back of their heads every time the band finished playing and whistling in their ears (still laughing about it now), which got their attention and had them looking behind a little dismayed :lol:..... And when they went to leave I just shoved them outta the road or wouldn't let them move. It's the simple things in life you need to take the time to enjoy :lol:

I experienced some disrespectful kids tearing through the crowds at the Melbourne Soundwave. They'd spot a gap in front of you and would barge their way in front, or simply shove past you.

I had to laugh a little because it kept happening to me during the day. My solution was driving my elbows into the back of their heads every time the band finished playing and whistling in their ears (still laughing about it now), which got their attention and had them looking behind a little dismayed :lol:..... And when they went to leave I just shoved them outta the road or wouldn't let them move. It's the simple things in life you need to take the time to enjoy :lol:

Don't forget the added benefit of wearing nice chunky boots to cruch peoples toes when the crowd moves back and forth. Oh geez, i broke your toes? Sorry dude! :)

I am 21 this year and was always to repsect everyone. And be polite. Always say yes please. Thank you excuse me. And all the other things. But when some one trys to be rude to me. I give it right back. Espacily when u ask some one to move very politly and they just stand their. Thats when i just barge through them and then say thank you very much and give them a smile

Cheers
Kyle

There is a difference between a smack and CHILD ABUSE, and that is what we are saying, A diciplined smack is required, Child abuse is not! I am not an Alcohol, Nore do I have Anger issues, Nore do I have Trust issues, I am not Clingy. I received smacks when they were required. My child is the same and in comparison to my partners friends that have kids (that don't get smacked) jesus christ they are ********'s. We have had kids over that have pulled out toys, thrown them across the room, made a mess, snatched food from my daughter, climbed on the tv cabinet, smacked the tv with a toy, jumped on our lap top etc etc the list goes on-this was over a period of many visits by different children, but these children did not receive smacks, if my Daughter does this she receives a firm warning and if she continues a smack (which DOES NOT HURT-its shocks them and makes them realise what they are doing is wrong) is given and from then on its "hey maybe what I was doing was wrong, fair enough, all good". And I don't have any issues!
I am a parent that allows my child to do things, I will not restrict them in doing or chasing their dreams (and in turn earning trust and allowing them to talk to my wife and I comfortably) I just believe that children need to understand who is in charge... Until they reach a more mature age (teenagers) then they are children and need the Guidence of a Parent more so then a friend. Out of all my friends the ones that were diciplined have turned out the best, the others are still...well the same except older!

1. Smacks aren't required. I have been smacked about three times... it didn't change my behaviour, but it DID show me how far I could go without 'stepping over the line' (behaviour-wise).
Saying those examples are what every kid is like without a smack is just wrong.
2. Yeah I'd be a bit concerned if you were made of alcohol.

This issue is timeless. X says that Y is disrespectful, Y will say that the next generation is disrespectful, that generation will say that the next generation is disrespectful...

I know I'm 17, so technically I should be one of those 'disrespectful teens who only care about themselves', but I'm not. Everyone I know my age are respectful towards adults and the elderly. I actually volunteer as a packer and driver for Meals on Wheels every week. I study nursing at TAFE as well as go to school, because I want to be a nurse... so you can see that I make an effort to contribute to society.

I'm just saying... don't label everyone younger than you disrespectful and selfish :)

Am I getting old??????

Recently my partner and I have started to consider that at the “ripe old age” of 35 that perhaps we are getting old.
We both are keen readers and take a huge interest in learning new things and talking to people about almost anything. As a teacher of Primary, Secondary and Children with Special Needs I am often asked about education issues or issues to do with children in general and having children of my own, I am happy to chat as a parent or as a teacher if I can help.
My classroom does not have behaviour problems because I live by 3 simple rules. 1. Treat each other as you would like me to treat you. 2. I will never teach you something I am not going to test you on. 3. The only silly question is the one you don’t ask. These simple rules have made it possible for me to have a great time at work and earn the respect and friendship of my colleagues.
So why do I feel aged recently...I was listening to the radio this morning before work and heard the announcer happily saying someone’s opinion was “s__t” and this afternoon a different announcer on the same station said something was “the funest thing ever”. So my first question is this...If the announcers on the radio can pop out with inappropriate and incorrect language, how can we possibly get the children to speak with respect towards each other and others around them?
Consequences are a natural part of everyday life from the moment we choose to get up when the alarm yells at us in the morning, to the moment we close our eyes at night. We are reading more and more every day about some complete Neanderthal glassing, knifing, stabbing or punching someone else, usually someone they don’t even know. Why are so many people NOT being made to face up to the consequences of their choices? What can be done about this?
I am not very old but I have instilled in my children to stand up on the train or bus when an elder requires a seat, to say please and thank you or you get nothing and if you do not have the answer then seek until you do in an appropriate and respectful manner.
My opinion is this...if you wish to belong to the human race, smile, tell a joke, have some fun, laugh but most importantly treat everyone else the way you wish to be treated. If you can’t do that stay in bed and leave the world to those who can.

I'm not labeling everyone like this, but there seems to be an overwhelming number of them out there who seem to believe everything should be handed to them on a silver platter. We're all in the same boat. Personally I'm not one who believes in generation gaps anyway.

Here's something to consider...

The Lost, Greatest, Silent and the Baby Boomer generations (which are the modern gens up until the 60's) to my mind were some of the most disrespectful on record.

Those four generations disrespected people on the basis of sex (equal pay for equal work didn't happen until 1984! That's almost in MY lifetime), race (Indig people were considered fauna for most of that time and ever heard of the white Australia policy?? Only became illegal to refuse service to someone because they were black in 1976) and a whole host of other reasons like disability, marital status, sexuality, union activity etc etc until (arguably) it was legislated to be against the law.

Talk about disrepectful! And how many people here have seen this ad campaign? Bob Katter's disgusting homophobic Campbell Newman ad - YouTube Which generation is that man from and, for the most part, what generations are agreeing with him and blocking the final peice of legislation to end discrimination in this country?

I know it isn't quite that clear cut, the same as not all of gen Y and I not showing their manners as some people think they should. The point i'm making is that culture and values change and wether the change is good or bad is subjective based on the values of the people judging that change and there are good and bad elements of all generations. Generations X,Y and I are possibly the most open and respectful of all people yet.

I dunno Gordo, I think that is different. I would put that down to changing views over time - I wouldn't call the Ancient Romans "disrespectful" just because they had slaves and watched Christians get eaten by lions. They had different views (wrong views as it turned out) but it wasn't about disrespect. I think that is different from being a little s4!t.

I would say that as the social acceptance of smacking your kids has phased out the incidence of little terrors is on the rise for sure. I also think that as apathetic, undisciplined gimps have children (as they are doing) the cycle continues and gets worse. Now nobody here is advocating child abuse and I guess that is the question - where do you draw the line between smacking your kids and being abusive? All I know is that sometimes I watch a mother or father try and reason or bargain with screaming 4 year old in the shops - that doesn't work. Even monkeys and lions bite or wack their young for being naughty, so why can't people? I was smacked as a child (often as it turns out, because I was a terror) and I am glad my parents did it. They didn't like it at the time but they had to and I'm sure they don't regret it now. All I have to do is look around and see how I could have turned out...

EDIT: and it isn't even about ids running around screaming, swearing and demanding whatever they want - it is more subtle things like manners. When I was younger my parents drilled my pleases and thank yous into me. Whenever I left a friends house if I didn't say "thank you for having me Mr and Mrs so and so" my mum would make me call them up when I got home. Whenever I saw someone I knew I would be told to say "hello Mr or Mrs so and so". I was told never to use first names of adults blah blah blah...

My little brother got the same treatment but his friends are awful! If they see my mum in the shops or whatever they avert their eyes and rush passed, when they're at our place they never say please or thank you, use mum and dads first names, they grunt or say "I don't really care" when asked if they would like a bloody drink! They leave without saying goodbye or thanking anybody.. Yes some of them do have great manners but a LOT of them don't and mum found the same thing working at his school in the tuckshop etc. Maybe I just had friends who were raised with better manners but it certainly seems very different from when I was in school

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back